Beam 68ers: what's your speed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Beam 68ers: what's your speed?

i've been having very low speeds now for a few days (ETA: by which I mean, since before the holiday; it's been quite a few days, maybe 10 or more, with the exception of this past Friday, when speeds were really nice) -- the low speed is consistent and it's too low for me to run 25 MB test, so I have to run the automatic test.  My question is, are others on Beam 68 experiencing the same thing?

27 REPLIES 27
MarkJFine
Professor

@maratsade

Been quite low the past couple of mornings for me, generally in the 1-2 Mbps area (actually picks up later on). But it's to be expected with many people off work and lots of new gadgets that haven't been properly configured yet. Happens every year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

have fine download speed but uplopad is horrid !!....wipe off antenna maybe...we did have some snow

@MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade

Been quite low the past couple of mornings for me, generally in the 1-2 Mbps area (actually picks up later on). But it's to be expected with many people off work and lots of new gadgets that haven't been properly configured yet. Happens every year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

maratsade

Yes, indeed. I certainly expect a slowdown when a lot of people are using the system.  However, I report it because in my experience, the slowdown at the moment is quite slower than it has ever been before.  My speed would go from18 Mbps to maybe 7 Mbps.  I have had speeds under 500 kbps for the past few days, and these speeds have been consistent at all times of the day, including during bonus time.

The upload speeds are also quite bad.

I am asking because I would like to know if others on Beam 68 are also seeing such speeds, or if perhaps it is only my site.  The dashboard is all green, so the modem is not detecting a problem here, but there might be something that can be detected from the other side, especially if it's just me seeing these slow speeds. Rebooting the modem does not change the speed.

No snow here; no bad weather of any kind.

Weather is fine and clear here in Central Virginia, as well.

Nothing exceptional at the gateway in SDO, either.

Upload just tsted at 1.4Mbps... meh.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I think @GabeU hogs all the broadband.   😉

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I think @GabeU hogs all the broadband.   😉

Not lately....

z47wnivho.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Pulled down two pods at around 5am here. One from the BBC and one from Daily Cannon. The BBC one came down in the 40s, but the one from DC (via CloudFlare) was rather slow. Tells me it might be a Level3 routing problem.

maratsade

"Tells me it might be a Level3 routing problem."

What does this mean, @MarkJFine?

It's too convenient for the entire gateway to be flat across beams, and speeds not be equally slow to different places. Not trying to imply a Neutrality thing, but the provider that is the next hop from the gateway (Level3 in this case, or perhaps some points even beyond that) might be having connection issues. I point to Level3 because this isn't the first time they've had a problem re-routing around problem areas.

That said, something like that is usually caused from really bad weather (like blizzards in Chicago that one winter) that resulted in power outages thru major data hubs. Only thing I can think of in that order are the fires out West causing a problem? Or, possibly, they're still under a DDoS attack - surely that's got to be over by now.

maratsade

I notice no one addresses the fact that Gabe and the Dog are hogging data..... 🙂

Seriously, who knows. Maybe it's snowing in space. Whatever it is, I do hope it will get solved soon (ETA: engineers can totally rock this).  My main issue is with software updates not working with the slow speed.

snowing.jpg

I'm just wondering how many people on SDO got a brand new Alexa or Google Home for XMas...

Also wondering how many "where'd my data go" questions round about mid-January...

maratsade

Return the Alexas, people, and get off the beam.

I may be old school, but imagine rushing out to buy an open mic for your house and put it on the internet for everyone to hear. Old school, and maybe just a little paranoid, but it does remind me of that scene in Dark Knight. lol

maratsade

Yes. Bred on sci fi. Not going to get an Alexa or anything like that.  Are they forking kidding????

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I notice no one addresses the fact that Gabe and the Dog are hogging data..... 🙂

Not tonight, that's for sure....

HVe3sfA98.png

As for letting everone on the net into your house, I put electrical tape over the cameras on my notebook and laptop, and a piece over the mic in the notebook (can't on the laptop).  Did the same with my folks' laptop, as well.  Don't have to worry about my desktop when it comes to that, as I have no camera or mic connected to it.  

And the idea of Alexa or whole home WiFi?  NO THANK YOU!!!  That's not happenin'.  I can get up and turn on a light or turn the heat up.  

maratsade

I do the cam thing too -- I don't like that lens staring at me.  And the home, it's dumb.  No smart fridges and things like that here.

Peep it:

Still faster than dialup!

I can no longer run the 25MB tests.....

maratsade

SDO as a whole is in the can...  SDO066 here, 1Mbps or lower for a long, long time now.

Glad to see it's not just my site, then.

maratsade

SDO is my gateway too -- always forget where that is.  But given the weather's fine in both places, I'm thinking it's @GabeU's fault.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My jerk side likes to come out once in awhile. Smiley Wink This is what I just pulled a few min ago on Gen4 beam 36. What a pretty flat line, boy that initial spike is up there.

Capture.PNG