cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lake_woman
Senior

Beam 83 Gateway 16

Very slow speed.

Totally went down a couple of weeks ago. That's when I found out that the beam is from Santa Clara. I am in South Carolina.

I have the Need For Speed!

Yesterday there was a software update for the modem. While it was doing the update I could not get any web pages to load. I had to wait until the update was finished, then I could surf the web. Since the update, the speed has plummeted.

I called customer support and that was a waste of time.

10 REPLIES 10
lake_woman
Senior

It is Sunday 1/14/2018 at 10:06pm.

Download - 67.1 kbps

Upload      - 69.3 kbps

I'm pretty sure that dial-up is faster.

This morning, for a few seconds I got download speed at 33Mbps! Before I could do my happy dance it fell to 1.2Mbps.

Oops! Now Download - 31.6 kbps

Upload      - 69.3 kbps

A new low! I've never seen the upload speed faster than download before!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lake_woman

It's actually your Gateway that's in Santa Clara, not your Beam.  Regardless, I will tag the reps so that they can see if there is something going on.  If you don't already, please make sure to leave your modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

@GabeU wrote:

@lake_woman

It's actually your Gateway that's in Santa Clara, not your Beam.  Regardless, I will tag the reps so that they can see if there is something going on.  If you don't already, please make sure to leave your modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

THANK YOU!

When I spoke to customer service Saturday, she kept telling me that my modem showed that I was getting 25Mbps download speed. Interesting........

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That's probably from gateway to your modem and back, sounds like it may be a congestion issue leaving the gateway.

What are you using to test your speeds?  Right now, the old trusty testmy.net isn't working right with Hughesnet, so it might be best to test with others such as speedtest.net to see if they match up.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

That's probably from gateway to your modem and back, sounds like it may be a congestion issue leaving the gateway.

What are you using to test your speeds?  Right now, the old trusty testmy.net isn't working right with Hughesnet, so it might be best to test with others such as speedtest.net to see if they match up.

Maybe Testmy.net is choking availble max speed then as my result and what my throughput meter shows lines up pretty closely. I do trust my throughput meter after years of use and comparing it to actual speed. So possibly Testmy.net is restricting the speed and result.

Capture.PNG

iV7zMQay2

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I have used testmy and Hughesnet and my PS4 with menu item "test internet". They all show about the same thing.

When I do get a good speed, it's like Hughesnet says "Oh no you don't" and the speed immediately plummets.

@Liz

I know youse guys are really busy. I just want to know if my beam and gateway are on your radar.

I saw a recent post for beam 66 and you responded that it was not on your radar.

I have called customer service, however the rep kept asking me the same questions and putting me on hold. I finally ended the call while on hold.

Just in case you were not aware that there is a problem, I wanted to let you know that there is. Beam 83 Gateway 16.

Hi lake_woman,

Thanks for posting. We'll run diagnostics on your site to make sure there isn't anything else going on, but your beam is currently under investigation. Once we have any other news for you, we'll let you know.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks @Liz !
I have a huge download that I would like to start at 2am. I hope that it can be finished before 8am