Beam me out of HughesNet!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altongabewright
Freshman

Beam me out of HughesNet!

In mid-July, after waiting several months post-launch of Gen5, I decided to make the switch from Gen4. When I called HughesNet, I queried them extensively about speed, data use, comparisons to other services, etc. I felt satisfied and I purchased the largest data package available. The “regional” installer came to set me up the following week. He instructed me about the 2G and 5G server differences, helped me set-up a new password and was generally helpful. My household was so excited to get the faster, better service. All seemed well at first. However, all was not what it was cracked up to be…

Throughout the remainder of the month, and into August and September, the service was spotty at best. The speeds were slower than Gen4. Dropped signals were commonplace and frustration about the high-priced service was a household sore spot. We relocated the router higher, we tried both 2G and 5G servers (though settled on the 2G since the original installer stressed that it was best) and we even bought a new Apple laptop hoping that new hardware/OS would correct the problems. I scoured the HughesNet Community website seeking answers and help. Nothing changed. Finally, I called the HughesNet technical support line, but warily because of the fear of cumbersome phone trees, long phone holds and Non-English-As-First-Language phone support. After long holds and being kicked around with several phone tech’s, we were told that all we needed to do was use 5G all the time and re-boot the modem once a week. We tried this for about a week with zero change. I called again and demanded that a service tech come to my home and check into the problems. I was told that this would cost me $125. I debated the fee with the customer service rep because I felt that it was uncalled for since HughesNet wasn’t delivering on what they promised. I relinquished and approved the $125 fee just get the problems fixed.

Interestingly, a small, local retailer of Internet services, called and instructed me that they were contacted by “corporate” to make the service call. Their fee would be $85. They came the next day, two days ago.

After the “local” service tech plugged his laptop into our modem, and punched a few keys, he quickly said that there were definitely speed problems. He diagnosed the issue just as fast because he had seen the same exact problem replicated with nearly 70 other local customers – Our modem was linked to the wrong satellite beam! Not only was it the wrong beam, but also after the tech showed me a satellite beam map on his laptop, we realized that our location was far (over 100 miles!) outside the assigned beam. He then proceeded to call “corporate” in FL and reassigned us to the beam that our physical location was actually within. He told me that he noticed numerous, similar customer problems in mid-July and contacted “corporate” about the issue. Apparently, in July, HughesNet engineers tinkered around with beams and didn’t inform the service tech system of their changes, though the tech stressed that the beam was probably not assigned properly at installation. The tech also mentioned that he was personally servicing “free of charge” his customers in our area by having the beam reassigned household by household. However, he asked for his $85 from me and advised me to call HughesNet and ask for two months free service to offset the more than two months poor service and his fee. I felt this was a sound strategy to recoup some of my losses, and given that the signal strength more that doubled after being reassigned to the right beam, I was comfortable paying him his fee.

I called HughesNet yesterday. After the usual phone tree madness I was connected to a customer service rep that had a poor grasp of English. This aside, I proceeded to explain my situation, stressing that the problems of poor signal strength was the fault of either an incorrect install and/or engineering tinkering on their side. I asked for the two-month free service as a reimbursement for my situation. I was put on a long hold. The rep came back only to offer a “$10 discount for three months.” I was floored, just astounded that this was the HughesNet policy. I baulked. After another long hold, I was offered a “$20 discount for three months.” I baulked again telling them that this didn’t even cover the $85 that I had to shell out for the service visit to solve a problem that I had nothing to do with. The service rep held firm no matter how much I offered proof otherwise. I asked if they were ready to process the “discount” (BTW, a “discount” infers a favor to the recipient versus a “reimbursement” that is returned compensation for a problem!) and I approved it. I then told the rep that I planned on posting my entire story at the HughesNet Community site, FB, Yelp, etc. and that I was contacting the CA State AG to file a complaint.

So, in closing, and I do apologize for the long, but necessary, post, I hope that someone at HughesNet reads this complaint and makes the necessary changes to help others not suffer the problems and out-of-pocket expenses that I did. I have nothing good to say about HughesNet and will pass my story onto anyone and everyone that I can – Bad news travels much further than good! Case number closed!

14 REPLIES 14
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Umm...  Just so you know, once the bird is in the air, Hughesnet can NOT change the beams, it's not physically possible for them to do so.  They might be able to reverse polarity for troubleshooting purposes, however, that's all they can do.  If you was in beam 64, and told to use beam 65 in the modem, signal lock would never occur, the beams may overlap, but not by that much.  Installers can perform a beam over-ride and put you on a different beam if you happen to be in an area where two beams overlap, which apparently can be a considerable amount..

By the way, the modems figure out the beam on their own, as in, what beam and polarity to use based upon GPS cordinates entered during install.  If your installer used OASIS (which most do) on their tablet or phone, then it uploaded the configuration files with the correct GPS coordinates on its own from what I know.  I am sure a few of the installers that visit here can clear that up if I am wrong. 

As far as spotty performance, that's the nature of wifi, take it or leave it, Hughesnet isn't preventing you from disabling the wifi feature in their modem and using your own wifi network.  There was an issue with wifi performance back around that time period, and Hughesnet has released a firmware update which has automatically been applied to your modem to help with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels not operating properly.

By the way...  When was that technician out?  Installers don't collect fees typically unless they install something extra...  It's usually charged to your account.  So if Hughes was charging a truck-roll fee from a phone call, then chances are a shade-tree third party installer just scammed you unless he did extra work.  Wonder if @Liz or @Amanda could look into this one?

As far as him calling corporate... Yeah, he called whoever hired him, he never called Hughesnet Corporate offices.

EDIT: Added some information as I was entirely wrong, striked out other information...

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@altongabewright wrote:

Their fee would be $85. They came the next day, two days ago.

The tech also mentioned that he was personally servicing “free of charge” his customers in our area by having the beam reassigned household by household. However, he asked for his $85 from me and advised me to call HughesNet and ask for two months free service to offset the more than two months poor service and his fee. 

I agree with Corrosive.  This sounds very fishy.  

Amanda

Hello altongabewright,

I am sorry to hear you've had so much trouble and would like to lend a hand. After locating your account this morning, I can say a few things with certainty... . You are located inside 2 beams - 39 and 55. I am not sure what map the technician was looking at however I will attach an image below.

Regarding costs: there is a fee of $125 to send a technician if the offer to troubleshoot the issue is denied. This is considered an out of warranty visit and the cost covers labor & time for the repair technician. We will bring up the $85 with our installation team to find out why exactly the extra fee was charged. The installation support agents in Florida are not the corporate team - we (corporate) are located in Maryland. Repairs are generally done by the local retailer, so that is very normal. In most cases, the repair person is also from the same office as the installer. The installation support agents in Florida are not the corporate team - we (corporate) are located in Maryland.  Lastly, as C0RR0SIVE stated above me, the installation technician will point you to what is assigned by your address. Since you are in the middle of two beams, this is flexible. 

I hope I was able to clear up some things. I will find out what is going on with this $85 and return back to you as soon as I know more.

Thank you,

Amanda

Red circle is your general location.Red circle is your general location.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Thanks to all of you fine technical and corporate folks for chiming in. It’s easier to address all of your commentary in a single post; therefore, CORROSIVE, GabeU and Amanda, please find specific points embedded in my response below. BTW, I find some of your commentary a bit insolent due to what it defends, implies or ignores. You'll understand why as you read on...

First off, I never used the word “change” in regards to something happening at the satellite level. I described my scenario in which the original installer assigned my physical location to the wrong beam, a beam that my location isn’t even within. Whatever devices or applications the installer used to locate me on the day of installation apparently weren’t working properly. I was incorrectly assigned to Beam 39 of which the closest edge is over a hundred miles away from my home. The recent technician clearly showed me the beam situation on a digital map on his laptop. He also showed me the beam, Beam 55, which my location is actually within. This is the beam that he had me reassigned to.

BTW, your beam review in relation to my physical location, significantly differs with the maps that I saw – my location DOES NOT fall within overlapping beams. It’s not the rich wealth of signal strength “flexibility” that you mention. His beam map appeared far more technical (perhaps even real time?) when compared to your topographical map above. I know what the technician showed me and I tend to believe what I saw. Moreover, since my signal strength has more than doubled since the beam reassignment (was at 44 and shot up to 89), I tend to trust the map that I was shown by the technician. I doubt that he made this map up on his own. It was something that he was tapping into which I assume was supplied from HughesNet technical support.

I apologize about labeling the FL entity as “corporate,” the entity that the technician phoned (while I was standing there) when he had my beam reassigned to Beam 55. Whatever the label I used, it was an entity that had the power to reassign beams, thus, as a consumer I assumed that it was legally connected to HughesNet, a corporation. Perhaps you work in silos and see yourself as such. Consumers do not see these internal walls. This aside, I am full belief that he called a HugesNet entity, not “whoever hired him.”

As far as the spotty performance of WiFi, what I experienced since installation in July, far surpassed the norm and was unacceptable. To even mention this variable, as if to provide it as a source of my problems, and to tell me to “take it or leave it,” rings similar to my ongoing customer service issues mentioned in my original post – tone deaf, insensitive and unacceptable. Also, while I’m not as technical as some of you, I would believe that if I opted to use my old Gen 4 WiFi set-up (Apple Airport, which I don't use any longer because the new HughesNet Gen 5 modem has its own WiFi), by connecting it into a modem struggling to tap an incorrect assigned beam wouldn’t solve the problem, and if anything, it would further hamper the situation.

Additionally, using language to dis the technician (i.e., scammed, shady, fishy, etc.) is not only a poor reflection on someone who’s doing their job in the name of HughesNet, it infers that either I’m a dope, a liar or a partner on a scam - Really bad choice of words and inferences! I suggest that any of you who are communicating in the name of HughesNet more carefully think through your communications before writing. I’m sure HughesNet has communication policy guidelines directing word choice, key messages and what you should or shouldn’t bestow upon a customer.

FYI, this technician owns his business and clearly wants to protect his reputation and that of HughesNet too. His dedication to his customers, by implementing no-charge servicing of mis-assigned beams, should be seen as a stellar example of someone exceeding the HughesNet customer service ethos. It certainly is far better than anything I’ve experience so far. Additionally, while I’m glad that someone from “corporate” cleared up the payment process for some of you (which I already fully understood), you should have probably conferred privately amongst yourselves, before writing and implying that something inappropriate occurred on my end.

Finally, as for any further research that some of you are endeavoring, my universal case number (there were three at one time, all about the same issue!) is 10652916. Since my first post above, and after thinking further about the paltry $60 “discount” that I was offered, I reached out to customer service again restating my case and again requesting a full, two-month credit (the bare minimum!) and a full $85 refund. I tried at first to use the online chat (now that my speed allows it) and in each chat, I pasted in my situation (the one posted above) into the chat window. Each online rep asked questions indicating that they didn’t take the time to read my post or that they didn’t understand it and each ended with snarky responses that they wouldn’t help me. So, I then tried another phone call. Not surprisingly, after more phone tree confusion/waits and language challenges, I was again denied any further compensation for my problems; problems that were not my fault and problems that have been in play since the incorrect beam assignment at the time of original installation. However, this time I was given an even more outrageous defense as to why I’m not being fully reimbursed – Since I never called immediately after the installation, literally the next hour, to report the problems, HughesNet didn’t have any record of a problem existing! What the heck! No record? A simple look at the installation records show that I was assigned to the WRONG BEAM and as such, received poor, inadequate service from the install until the beam reassignment a few days ago!

It shouldn’t be the duty of the customer to police an installation. It shouldn’t be the experience of the customer to have to go through such hassles, denials and accusations. This entire situation could have been easily diffused with a full reimbursement by recognizing that the original installation was wrong and that my service was inadequate and it didn’t deliver as originally promised. If that had taken place, I wouldn't have posted here. I’d be content that I have the problem recognized and corrected at no cost. I would have talked up the good customer service. As it stands, I’ve already posted my above post at Yelp and at HughesNet’s FB page. I also plan on reporting it to the Better Business Bureau and to the CA AG next week. HughesNet may be a big corporate giant, but even as such, it’s not impervious to the exponential impact of social media or investigative oversight.

@altongabewright wrote:

I described my scenario in which the original installer assigned my physical location to the wrong beam, a beam that my location isn’t even within. Whatever devices or applications the installer used to locate me on the day of installation apparently weren’t working properly. I was incorrectly assigned to Beam 39 of which the closest edge is over a hundred miles away from my home. The recent technician clearly showed me the beam situation on a digital map on his laptop. He also showed me the beam, Beam 55, which my location is actually within. This is the beam that he had me reassigned to.

Do you live somewhere with in the red circle Amanda showed?  If so, then yes, you live with in Beam 039, but also under Beam 055.  Believe whoever you want, however, OVT will not pass if you can't get a signal lock, the terminal wont activate, the installer wont get paid, and the connection wouldn't have worked in the slightest if you lived outside of Beam 039.  While installers do get a wealth of information, Amanda sits well above the installers at corporate, and meets with the engineers daily to discuss things such as beam performance.  Technicians don't have the ability to discuss anything with engineers directly.

@altongabewright wrote:

BTW, your beam review in relation to my physical location, significantly differs with the maps that I saw – my location DOES NOT fall within overlapping beams. It’s not the rich wealth of signal strength “flexibility” that you mention. His beam map appeared far more technical (perhaps even real time?) when compared to your topographical map above. I know what the technician showed me and I tend to believe what I saw. Moreover, since my signal strength has more than doubled since the beam reassignment (was at 44 and shot up to 89), I tend to trust the map that I was shown by the technician. I doubt that he made this map up on his own. It was something that he was tapping into which I assume was supplied from HughesNet technical support.

Yeah, he probably showed you a map full of blue boxes and ovals, right?  That's what installers see, it's not updated in "real time".  What Amanda posted is the actual footprint of each beam.

@altongabewright wrote:

I apologize about labeling the FL entity as “corporate,” the entity that the technician phoned (while I was standing there) when he had my beam reassigned to Beam 55. Whatever the label I used, it was an entity that had the power to reassign beams, thus, as a consumer I assumed that it was legally connected to HughesNet, a corporation. Perhaps you work in silos and see yourself as such. Consumers do not see these internal walls. This aside, I am full belief that he called a HugesNet entity, not “whoever hired him.”

Believe as you wish I suppose.

@altongabewright wrote:

FYI, this technician owns his business and clearly wants to protect his reputation and that of HughesNet too. His dedication to his customers, by implementing no-charge servicing of mis-assigned beams, should be seen as a stellar example of someone exceeding the HughesNet customer service ethos. It certainly is far better than anything I’ve experience so far. Additionally, while I’m glad that someone from “corporate” cleared up the payment process for some of you (which I already fully understood), you should have probably conferred privately amongst yourselves, before writing and implying that something inappropriate occurred on my end.

You missed what @Amanda said I suppose? "Regarding costs: there is a fee of $125 to send a technician if the offer to troubleshoot the issue is denied. This is considered an out of warranty visit and the cost covers labor & time for the repair technician. We will bring up the $85 with our installation team to find out why exactly the extra fee was charged."

@altongabewright wrote:

As far as the spotty performance of WiFi, what I experienced since installation in July, far surpassed the norm and was unacceptable. To even mention this variable, as if to provide it as a source of my problems, and to tell me to “take it or leave it,” rings similar to my ongoing customer service issues mentioned in my original post – tone deaf, insensitive and unacceptable. Also, while I’m not as technical as some of you, I would believe that if I opted to use my old Gen 4 WiFi set-up (Apple Airport, which I don't use any longer because the new HughesNet Gen 5 modem has its own WiFi), by connecting it into a modem struggling to tap an incorrect assigned beam wouldn’t solve the problem, and if anything, it would further hamper the situation.

The reason I said take it or leave it?  Probably because when it comes to radio signals, there's not much you can do, and you was complaining about a specific issue, "dropped signals were commonplace" and that is sadly the nature of radio signals.  All you can do is install a signal booster if you have dead zones, but you should also be aware, that the HT2000w had issues with wifi signals dropping out, but as I said before, that has been patched.

@altongabewright wrote:

I also plan on reporting it to the Better Business Bureau and to the CA AG next week. HughesNet may be a big corporate giant, but even as such, it’s not impervious to the exponential impact of social media or investigative oversight.

Go right ahead, the moment that happens, then responses from the Moderators here will stop, but, they will be the same ones that respond to you in the time alloted, over the channels permitted by each agency you contact.

Not sure to add a new topic, but I decided to switch to Hughes Net on 9-15-17 hoping for fast internet! So far no fast internet! I contacted my installer since he insisted he would be there when needed and I would not need to call Hughes Net. So having an issue from day one I called my installer to only have him give me hughes net direct number. So I called to get an operator I could not understand. being frustrated I called and called the installer. I finally contacted him and we reloaded the system and it did improve the speed some but not near the 25 Gb promised. So dealing with the slow speeds testing at speeds from .39 to maybe 1.25 download. Upload usually 1.25 to 3.0.  I contacted Hughes and spoke to Edward from Dallas. We ran test and then he told me my case must be sent to the engineer dept. He told me I would be called that day if not then the next day for sure. Of course no phone call so I called back a couple days later, I spoke to a really nice lady in Arizona. She had me run test that Edward did not. She even contacted I guess a higher tech level. The tech had me conduct more test to no avail and again said my case will be sent to the engineers and should be looked at soon. The other day the speed hit 28.0 then back down to .39. So I e-mailed asking if anything had been done. The reply," No" by 10-10-17 it should be resolved. 

I have had issues from day one and continue to have issues. The day I had the service installed was on a Saturday and the following Monday I wish I went through with cancelling my service. I was told I would not be billed for this month except I had to pay for the first month in advance. I don't think I am special and should be put in front of the list for repair, but from day one I have had issues and just about every day conducted speed test using Hughes Net speed test that Hughes can see and I need to wait until almost a month for the service I was promised? 

I have not given up,but Hughes Net engneer dept. has yet to impress me. 

Look. It's pretty simple and doesn’t require a lot of tech talk and excuses:

My Gen5 modem was connected to Beam 39 on July 18, 2017.

I’ve experienced terrible problems since install.

My Gen 5 modem was switched to Beam 55 on October 3, 2017.

Nothing else changed.

My problems ended on October 3, 2017.

Logic tells me that the beam switch solved the problem.

Logic also tells me that being connected to the wrong beam in the first place caused my problems.

Logic tells me that none of this was my fault.

WHY AM I MADE TO FEEL THAT IT’S SOMEHOW MY FAULT?

Since it sounds like Amada walks on water, perhaps she’ll wave her wand to see that I’m fully reimbursed for services for at least two months (prefer reimbursement for the period from install through the beam switch) as well as the $85 that I paid the technician.

Perhaps Amanda can contact me privately to discuss a resolution to my situation?

(CORROSIVE, please do not respond to my posts any further. Your 'corrosive' tone, criticism and accusatory approach is reprehensible. You’re damaging the HughesNet brand further as you defend and obfuscate. You don't understand one iota about customer service. You need instruction and counsel. Good luck to you.)

You posted in tech support, you will typically get more replies from other customers, and not customer support here.

Also, just to be a pain, *responds to topic*.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@altongabewright

No one is suggesting that any of this is your fault.  It's not, and hasn't been.  

The beam switch may very well have solved your problem, but, just to be clear, you weren't connected to the wrong beam.  That it didn't work well was simply that...it didn't work well.  If you are in the center of that red circle in the picture Amanda posted, you are in an area where beams overlap, and either beam could be used.  With that said, I don't know exactly how the system works, as in whether it chooses the beam automatically or the installer assigns it manually, but either way, you are in an area where two beams overlap.  The beam you are assigned to now is working better for you, but, again, that doesn't mean that the first beam you were on was wrong, nor that the installer assigned you to the wrong beam.  It just didn't work well, and your present beam is performing better for you.     

As for your spotty WiFi performance, that's a separate issue from your beam issue.  WiFi performance can be affected by numerous things, with a few of them being interference from other devices, settings in both the HT2000W and your devices, and even the makeup of your home.  If you continue to have spotty WiFi performance, you can very well use your own 3rd party router.  I've seen a few people mentioning their use of Apple Airport routers.  Some people like to use their own router because it gives them more options.  Some give better range.  Some just simply like using the router they know and are used to.  To use your Apple Airport router is entirely up to you.  You aren't required to use the HT2000W's WiFi.  In addition, if you're continuing to have spotty WiFi performance, you can try using different bands for different devices, like a few on the 2.4Ghz band and a few on the 5Ghz band, or even all on one or the other.  The 5Ghz band is less susceptible to interference from other devices, but it has a shorter range.   If you're at a decent distance, try the 2.4Ghz band, and if you're close, try the 5Ghz band.  You're free to use whatever band, or even router, works best for you.   

As for the concern with the fee.  The reason why we reacted the way we did is because this is highly unusual.  Corrosive has been on these boards for a long time, and I've been here for just under two years, and we've seen how the pricing works with tech visits.  Normally the fee for a visit is charged to your account.  When a tech requests a fee for the visit, this throws up a red flag to us.  It wasn't meant to discredit the tech, nor try to sully his name, nor was it meant to insinuate the YOU did anything wrong, but only to express concern as this is a very unusual practice if the $85 fee wasn't for something different (like extra work you asked them to do or if you were buying a third party router from them, or something along those lines).  Concern is what this is, and nothing more.  There may be a perfectly legitimate explanation for it, and Amanda will research it to find out why the $85 fee was charged.  

Again, no one is suggesting that this is your fault.  You have no control over the fact that your original beam wasn't working well for you, nor that your new one is.  

And Amanda may very well contact you through PM, as compensation requests and other billing concerns are normally discussed privately.    

With all of this said, I'm glad your system is now working the way it should.  

Lots of discussion over a mostly solved problem.

I'm pretty sure they'll get to the bottom of the $85 question. None of us would have wanted that to happen either.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi

I am sorry if it came across that way, I just wanted to make sure you and I are working with the same information. I did speak with an installation manager here in our corporate office on Friday about this situation and while the beam change was minor, it was okay to do that. What was not okay is the $85 charge, which I will be refunding back to you. I believe our agents also placed a discount on your account, which I will extend. The installation manager is going to discuss those charges separately with the technician as well.

The map that the technician has is probably the preliminary map from Spring 2016. It does not accurately represent coverage when compared with our actual launched product. 

I will go ahead and assist my coworkers on your AG & BBB case when they arrive. I've replied to your comment on Facebook.

Thank you

Amanda

“Lots of discussion over a mostly solved problem.”

Really? This is how HN feels about communication between customers and their company? Discussion, n mater how much, is necessary to solve my problems that are not solved. Moreover, discussions are necessary for HN to better serve their customers! Sheesh!

And about my problems that aren’t solved…My service went sour again last week – terribly slow and shifting/dropping signals between 2G and 5G – coincidentally, right after my posts here, on Yelp and at FB. Interesting…

On Sunday, I spent nearly an hour with another call center tech, who after numerous speed tests (all of which scored only 5%-10% of HN’s download/upload expected speeds. She determined that there was speed problem (duh!), elevated my case to “Level 4” techs and was promised a call back.

I asked the call center tech about any financial reimbursements or compensation for the terrible service since install. She didn’t provide any information.

About 24-hours later, speeds went back up and no call was received.

About 24-hours from this, I received a voicemail from a gentleman saying that HN engineers “made adjustments with the satellite” to improve my speeds and performance.

I’m running speed tests frequently and receive good numbers for about 75% of the time. The other 25% (which I run and determine when speeds dramatically diminish) are terrible, well below HN’s expected speeds and national expectations. I guess this is as good as my service will ever be, meaning that 25% of the time it’s terrible!

I went to my account this AM to determine if any financial reimbursements have been made. I see the $85 and nothing else. Nothing for the ongoing problems since install!

Amanda, can you please update me on the financial side of this matter? Again, I’m asking for compensation from time of install until the shift in beams to be applied to my future billing. It's only fair.

Thank you for looking into this. You seem to be the only one who understands how to communicate to customers (and the value thereof) and how to get things done.

Don83
New Poster

HughesNet should change their name to NoNet.  The speeds at night are nonexistant. On their speed test download speed will not register.  Upload remains good.