cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Fake HughesNet Phishing Scam Email:

Advanced Tutor

Beware of Fake HughesNet Phishing Scam Email:

Received this morning, with the Subject line reading: Important Notice - Must Read.

it's a Phishing scam. Don't click on the links or enter your billing information. NEVER trust anything that comes to you by Email purporting to be your bank, credit union, service provider, etc. and asking you to enter your credit card info. Just delete them. 

In this case, the scam mail uses a couple of web page redirects to get you to the target Phishing page planted on a hacked web site at http://arno.webou.net/wp-admin/includes/hugheset/

Note the actual web site domain is webou.net. And in the link, /hughesnet/ is mis spelled as /hugheset/

Also note the odd English written in the scam mail: Failure to revert will avert to service suspension. also "HughesNet Cable"

These are all dead giveaways this is a scam, and has probably been written by someone off shore.

I've reported the scam to the web service hosts to try and get the sites shut down:

-------------------------------------

Dear Valued Customer,
There was an issue with your
last subscription. Please use any of the below methods to update your
contact and billing information.

Failure to revert will avert to service suspension.

UPDATE YOUR PAYMENT METHOD
Update your credit card

Click this link to update or change the credit card you use to pay for your HughesNet service every month.

MAKE A ONE TIME PAYMENT
Make a One Time Payment

Make a One Time Payment.

View your customer agreement

View or print a copy of your HughesNet customer agreement.

Read HughesNet Getting Started customer guide

Learn more about using the HughesNet service and all the features available to you.

Copyright 2015 HughesNet Cable

2015 © HughesNet

If you no longer want to receive emails from us, you can unsubscribe.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
15 REPLIES 15
Assistant Professor

Re: Beware of Fake HughesNet Phishing Scam Email:

Thanks Alan! I love that line that seems to be in every one of these, makes me laugh every time. Talk about butchering the English language.

Hi Alan

Thanks! I've unhyperlinked the links in your post, which were still leading to the phishing websites. We'll pass this info on.

Amanda
Advanced Tutor

I've unhyperlinked the links in your post, which were still leading to the phishing websites. 
Good idea. I know some folks might read my post and still think it was legitimate, but I wanted you to have the links first. I've send a copy of the Phishing Email  to HughesNet, complete with headers.
Highlighted

So is that where Hughesnet gets all their advice on how to rob customers?  Too bad this sham of a company doesn't care about customer service but sure does get on the ball when one of their own might be scammed. What a bunch of creeps. I see that problem was solved real quick.

I'm sorry Madelyn, we've tried to help you. We can help you with whatever you need, but you refuse to respond to us. The only people who are employees have Official Rep, Admin or Employee next to their name. We're waiting on your response to Liz, the official Rep at your post here. Should you not wish to troubleshoot with us, we can simply have your account on the community removed.
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/romeorussells-sbcglobal-net

Amanda
New Poster

It's a shame that junk messages, pretending to be from Hughes Net, flows right into Hughes Net email and they don't have anyone smart enough to catch it and stop it.  I've sent a copy of the message directly to them to no avail.  Just shows one why they cannot answer simple questions and why so many other carriers reject email from the Hughes Net domain. It's not only that they don't know anything, they don't even suspect anything!

Advanced Tutor

billys, if you have a problem and want help with it. please post it in a new topic instead of just dropping a complaint into someone else's topic.
It's a shame that junk messages, pretending to be from Hughes Net, flows right into Hughes Net email and they don't have anyone smart enough to catch it and stop it.
FWIW, I have about 10 non-HughesNet Email addresses hosted with  non-HughesNet service providers, and I regularly get junk messages and phishing scams sent to all of them. This is not a HughesNet-centric problem.

Or are you implying you want human staff at HughesNet to read all of your Email and filter it before it gets to you??? 

All ISPs have to assume some level of intelligence in their Email users to determine what's legitimate, and not simply resort 100% on imperfect automated tools to detect and delete suspect Emails. Otherwise, you can bet those tools would start blocking and deleting Email you want.

And, if you don't believe that, try building your own Email filters and see what happens.
New Poster

Mr. Champion,

First of all, and back before you jumped in, I reported this and many other Hughes Net problems.  Hughes Net personnel that I have interfaced with don't even understand their own instructions, much less provide assistance to clients. 

Second, when you pay for my Hughes Net service please feel free to tell me what I can and can't do!  Meanwhile stop trying to brow beat a paying and long time Hughes Net customer and stick to attempts to solve problems, of which you spent a lot of time on this OLD problem, but did no resolve. 

Finally, I've installed, insured worry free and secure data transmission and provided hands on assistance to clients at various locations World wide.

I'll jump in where ever I please unless you can show me where you have ownership...

Advanced Tutor

First of all, and back before you jumped in, I reported this and many other Hughes Net problems.  
Well, I "jumped in" to these forums about three years ago, and I've been working with HughesNet gear since 2002, and Email since 1993. The above looks like your second post on these forums in the last few hours: 2 Posts 0 Reply Likes
Second, when you pay for my Hughes Net service please feel free to tell me what I can and can't do!  Meanwhile stop trying to brow beat a paying and long time Hughes Net customer and stick to attempts to solve problems, of which you spent a lot of time on this OLD problem, but did no resolve. 
Solving problems is what I try to do. Part of that is correcting misinformation such the notion that HughesNet can stop these kinds of Emails when other ISPs cannot. 
Finally, I've installed, insured worry free and secure data transmission and provided hands on assistance to clients at various locations World wide.
Good. Sounds like other users on these forums could benefit from your expertise. I encourage you to share it.
I'll jump in where ever I please unless you can show me where you have ownership...
No problem, I'm just a volunteer here and it's obvious you don't need my help.