cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BirdDog, Corrosive, anyone...Setting up/Configuring Chromecast

Highlighted
Senior

BirdDog, Corrosive, anyone...Setting up/Configuring Chromecast

BirdDog, I've gone over the reading material you linked to.  Thanks so much for resending it!  Below is a picture of my 1st Gen Chromecast device. It's put together in order in which it plugs into the TV.  All (3) parts you see, came with the Chromecast.  Plugging the CC directly into the TV, into HDMI Side, didn't work.  It required this adapter.  This is plugged into "HDMI Side", followed by the CC.  With TV on and connected to my wifi, nothing happened.  Light didn't light on the CC.  It wasn't until I used the power adapter did the light come on and everything started working.  Setup within Google Home was successful.  With the TV OFF, CC is still on and eating my data Smiley Surprised  Maybe it's my TV.  It's a Vizio XVT323SV.

I also made two 1x1 black images, uploaded them to Google Photos, put them in a folder and named it Backgrounds (yes I will miss those beautiful backgrounds!).  I directed GH to look for that folder.  I disabled ALL other options for the CC in GH, including other photos yet, while looking at the office TV on in my GH app, I see the display screen (depicting the tV) go from black (titled Monica's photos) and then to a photo by Google, black, Google, etc.  This is with the TV OFF but the CC plugged in and connected to power.  Disconnect from power source and TV disappears from Device listing in GH.  

So, I can't simply turn off the tv.  I must unplug the CC from the wall outlet.  And creating a couple of black backgrounds apparently doesn't stop  Google from using and possibly still downloading new backgrounds.  

If you guys have anything helpful to add to this, please do.  I have 8.0GB remaining right now with 9 days left in my month.  I'm going to leave the CC connected for few hours while I'm not on the computer to see what kind of data has disappeared.  Like I said earlier, I can 1-3MB an hour now that I schedule video downloads during Bonus hours.  I just can't do 17MB/hour (x2 if I were to connect my 2nd CC)

1st Gen CC1st Gen CCThis plugs into the TV HDMI SideThis plugs into the TV HDMI SideRotating backgrounds even with TV off and 1x1 black images placed in Google Photos and GH pointed to that folder.  All other options are turned off.Rotating backgrounds even with TV off and 1x1 black images placed in Google Photos and GH pointed to that folder. All other options are turned off.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: BirdDog, Corrosive, anyone...Setting up/Configuring Chromecast

Gosh, after spending so much time and effort into writing up this topic/question, I sure do hope no one comes and hijacks the thread leaving saracastic questions that they already know the answer too...I mean after all, that would just be rude, right?

Highlighted
Senior

That's why I took it off your thread!  Sarcastic questions?  Gee this is the second time you've been rude.  Must just come 2nd nature to you.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

no..I just call it as I see it LOL!

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I'm not experienced with the Gen 1 Chromecast as mine is Gen 2 so don't have much else to say except that the linked article worked for me. Abou all I can add at this point is this:

1. You really need to be able to cut power to it when not in use or at least when the TV is off, unless your TV is on all day, then use is still going to add up.

2. What size data wise are the 1x1 pixel images? Mine are 58 bytes each and I saved them as .bmp images. The smaller in data size they are the less data will be used in the background refreshing them every 30 seconds.

3. Did you turn off all the other feeds as described in the article?

Again, I can't speak specifically to the Gen 1 Chromecast results. My background use is around 1 MB per hour when simply casting locally. There is also a some useage when the Chromecast is first turned on and it checks for updates and such, that amount can vary. You must have it powered off if not wanting it to use any data at all.

I hate the Backdrop thing as many others do. Many have complained to Google, including myself, but it seems to be falling on deal ears, so the best you can do is try to reduce the amount used to a minimum as explained in the article. No way at this time to totally disable Backdrop that I'm aware of.

That's the best I can help, if the data use is still too much for you then I'm afraid the device is simply not going to work for you. There are other similar casting devices that are more stand alone and don't interface with the cloud. I believe one is called AnyCast.

Highlighted
Senior

BirdDog, I think we can call this a success!  There used to be a graph on HN that showed usage per hour.  That's how the ts rep found my problem.  This was several years ago.  That was shortly removed.  So all I have to go on now are the numbers on SCC under anytime data graph.  TV has been OFF, CC connected to power and TV

At 6:05PM I had 8.0GB

11:20PM...7.8 with some web browsing (reading various forums)

1.22AM...7.7GB more on line reading and a short video

9:30AM...7.7GB Smiley Happy

There was one item I didn't turn off.  Can't recall what it was.  It's off now.  And apparently things don't register as OFF until you restart the CC.  Turned the weather off too since v1 CC doesn't support asking Google to show you the weather.  I did have a glitch with all 6 of the GHs shortly after getting the CC going.  Had to reboot all of them.  That's NEVER happened.  Will keep an eye on that.

I know watching the data flow via the SCC where the Anytime graph is isn't the ideal way to determine data usage, I just don't know where else to look or if there is another way on HN.  

Thanks SO MUCH for your help!  I think I'll go buy a newer version of CC Smiley Happy

ps...Scheduled 776MB of YT vids during Bonus hours using Free Video Downloader...776MB Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
Senior

BirdDog, I wanted to thank you for the info you supplied concerning how to tame Chromecast data.  I bought a v2 CC three days ago.   I was able to connect it without the AC adapter to plug into the wall (causing CC to be active even with the tv off).  I would have to unplug it from the wall whenever I wasn't using it.  I connected the HDMI end and the USB end both into the tv.  Now when the tv is off, CC is off.  I also made two black 1x1 squares, created a folder to put them in on Google Photos and pointed CC to that folder for backgrounds.  I really miss not being able to use Google's backgrounds but that's life in the country Smiley Happy

I did a test that night.  I unplugged all eight AIs, turned off the computer, made sure the cell phones were on mobile data.  TV off and CC plugged into the tv.  Here is the data count for those hours.  I should be able to live with that Smiley Happy  I still won't stream Hulu and Netflix like the "cord cutter" generation but I can do other things with CC and can watch the vids I download during Bonus hours.  THANKS AGAIN!

Everything Unplugged2.jpg

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

You are welcome, happy it worked for you!