cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bleeding Data + New Data Plan + Check My Usage Tool Discrepancies

Assistant Professor

Re: Bleeding Data + New Data Plan + Check My Usage Tool Discrepancies

I know many, including me, don't care for the bar graph usage chart at MyDashboard but it does seem to be quite accurate. If you hover over the bars with the mouse pointer it gives you the exact amount for the hour. (Click on the pic to see better)

Highlighted

Yes, But don't the Graph's still figure in the Overhead, that hughes Compression techniques eliminate...... I haven't compared in Quite some time, I've learned loosing bits here an there isn't the end of the world LOL but back when I was quite diligent the bars always matched what was displayed at customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm

Now a days I go with flow unless I loose 300-400Mb and its not traceable on my end... Nine times outta ten the cuprits often found sitting in my living room lol.......

I DID have the status meter but after seeing so many posts on here about the possibility of it being a culprit in excessive data usage I deleted it. The only reason that I looked at the original Check My Usage Tool is because I was instructed to by the phone rep. I would think that if all that data wasn't counted towards my usage that she wouldn't have pointed me to it, but I suppose at this point nothing would surprise me.

Thanks for your input Charles but I won't be doing all that. I think they determined on over the phone that my modem wasn't using data when the LAN was unplugged. Or at least that's what she continued to repeat over and over again. We did it once for over an hour and again for 5 minutes as she was instructed by tech support. 

All I want is to be able to use my service in the same way that I always have. I've never had a problem before. I've always been vigilant about usage and monitoring and my data has lasted through every month with a few exceptions.

My purpose here is was to let others know the issues that I'm having because seeing others posts have been helpful to me and I think we're all just hoping that HughesNet will see that there are just too many of us having the same issues for there NOT to be an issue on their end. 

If they do not see that then I guess we'll all just wait for alternate services to be extended to our respective areas. My husband works for a company that installs cell phone towers and their next job is not far from our home. If this doesn't get worked out by the time that tower is up and running I will switch to a hotspot from a cell phone provider.

Mendy,

Beware of Cellular I tried them before.  I had ATT and Cricket (they used a Verison Tower) and the Limits were in the neighbourhood of 4gb per month and the connections were not all that great.  During busy times like afternoon and early evenings it really slowed down like 166kbs.  Most of the time it showed 3.3Mbs on the meter but the download rate was usually 25 to 30k it would take at times 20 minutes for a 2 or 3 Mb file with ATT 3g connect card.  The only good side was no limits nights and weekends with nights beginning at 8pm and ending at 6am.  With 4g LTE it may be better but beware of the Data Limits.  They will tell you unlimited but you can get throttled.  If you use Cellular logic then Hughes is unlimited they don't disconnect you they just slow you down. 

I have had Verizon in the past and it WAS bad but that's been a couple of years ago. I've heard that the services have been improved.

My biggest headache here is that sheer number of complaints without any resolution or HughesNet even admitting that there MAY be a problem with their service.

Customer service is very important to me. If they had said "we know this issue is going on and we are working on it" or something to that affect I would've been fine with that.

The fact that I got a rep reading from a script and repeating the same irrelevant thing over and over again is what frustrated me more than anything.

mendyboyd,
Sorry to hear of your troubles.  I have been seriously looking at the upgrade plans, but now I would be scared to do it.  Our plan is only 10/10--not near enough for us.
Gail

I'm glad you got your issues worked out. I had one previous experience with HughesNet myself in the beginning. It stemmed from an app on one of my devices that threw my internet into the "yellow" state (I don't remember now what its called) but once we figured out what it was I just deleted it, it was a game so no big deal.

I knew that I REALLY REALLY didn't want to have to call them again so I explored every option on my end as soon as I noticed the data disappearing. Turning off devices one by one, check router configurations, changing router firmware, etc. 

I've always had my router secured with a password as well as a Mac filter but I checked it anyway. I did everything I could think of before finally breaking down and calling.

I have seen responses here from the reps and I agree that they seem to be much better at customer service. I really don't understand why reps like ones here aren't available when calling customer service initially. I imagine the call experience alone discourages so many from this service. 

I've been happy with HughesNet from the beginning, never had many issues and if there ever was I'm pretty patient and I just wait it out. This has been going on for over 2 months and it didn't start until I changed plans. An extra 35 gb during bonus hours for free sounded awesome. I just wonder if it really was too good to be true.

Good morning mendyboyd,

Thanks for posting. If it's already been determined that the HughesNet modem is not generating any data when it's isolated, then the source of data usage is on your network side. You already have the right idea of using the process of elimination, so try connecting just the PC directly to the modem and see how much data is used. You may want to look into using third-party data monitoring programs to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire or Net Guard, so feel free to ask them for tips on using those programs.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi Liz,

Thank you for addressing my post. It concerns me more than a little bit that this is the only test that HughesNet uses. There are so many things that can go wrong with software AND hardware and I don't understand the logic that is used.

Automatically if your modem is not using any data while it's isolated then it CAN'T be a problem on the ISP end? All of my issues originate with ONE change that was made. Prior to that HughesNet has been wonderful for me. The only change was when I switched service plans. Does HughesNet not even consider that there is a flaw somewhere in the programming that calculates and reads the data? That seems extremely presumptive, nobody is perfect and no program is perfect. (Just look at my screenshots from your Check My Usage Tool. Mistakes can be made and there is obviously an issue somewhere.

Also, it was the rep/tech that insisted that there was no problem with the modem, not me. What about the "its impossible for your LAN light to be on when there's no cable attached" statement that was made? Then later "that's normal"? The fluctuation anomaly during the 5 minute test? 

As I mentioned before I went through troubleshooting steps on my entire network before ever calling support. I, unlike HughesNet, was very open to the possibility that the problem was on my end and wanted to ensure that it wasn't BEFORE I called.

Again, thank you for your time. I see that you guys deal with this sort of thing all the time and I'm sure your patience can be tested. The sheer number of the same complaints should alert you to the possibility there is an error on your end.

Mendy
Associate Professor

Well, why would 1000 bits on one plan be different from 1000 bits on another plan?  They use the same formula for calculating usage on all plans.  As for the LAN light, it's mostly a dummy light, it only lights when the modem detects something connecting several of the pins on the rear RJ45 jack.