Hughesnet Community

Blinking LAN light VIDEO With no LAN cable connected-from Larry Lewis to Gwalk and other champions who requested it

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Larry Lewis1

Blinking LAN light VIDEO With no LAN cable connected-from Larry Lewis to Gwalk and other champions who requested it

Hi - champions Gwalk and others who requested this.

I don't know if this video will post well. If it doesn't, i have 2 cameras with short video clips unedited and unphotoshopped which clearly show that the LAN light is blinking while the LAN cable was disconnected.

In case the video doesn't post, unlike the prior time that the LAN light blinked for about 3 whole days, the power didn't blink out off and on for the past 2 days prior.    All i was doing was disconnecting the LAN cable in preparation for another 10 day trip to Manila. When i did this i observed what you can see on the video.

I will be sending to Frontier in a day or 2 excellent documentation of just under 2 GB of DDDD while i was a witness, Our history further evidencing this, and the screenshots, carefully made, that show our usage while the LAN cable was disconnected.   This occurred very soon  after i returned home from Manila,  and reconnected and turned on everything.

FYI: for the 10 days i was gone there was no DDDD but i expected this is par for the course. Because after the DDDD events stop they usually don't restart again until we actually legitimately  use some data

When i sent the first slug of M.S. word screenshots to Frontier right before i went to Manila, they IMMEDIATELY escalated the very well documented DDDD to HughesNet. which case should be open as i write this.   

A few weeks ago before my trip i was working and my son was at a friends house on a non-capped internet and DDDD occurred while we were both gone from the house!

Thank you, very much.

-Larry and Nate Lewis

P.S. For Newbies for this long standing problem. I have been experiencing DDDD (Phantom usage-Dreaded Data Drain Disease) for 9 months continually the total data used - wrongly attributed to me - totals between 100-200 GB.  

Here is the link to the video in case the hughesnet link poster thing doesn't work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfsXmXQqLg&feature=youtu.be
27 REPLIES 27
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Will be Monday I'm sure.
Brandon

wonder if somehow a virus or ddos attack is going on within your modem or hughes systems.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Something is certainly wrong either with the firmware, or modem...  In the video, I noted that the front LED is flickering on/off, but the NIC on the back is stating that there is, in fact, no electrical connectivity.

The firmware from a Frontier modem and Hughes modem shouldn't be much different what so ever, just a logo replacement or two inside the WebGUI...  Operational wise, they should be the exact same... 

I am wondering if Engineering will want the ODU, Modem, and what ever device he had connected to the modem to test and see what is happening, as the modem has been replaced before if I am not mistaken...

I have never seen a Hughes modem do this, but I do know the front LED is controlled via firmware and the SOC while the back lights are controlled directly by the NIC controller, though, the front LED should only be lit if the NIC reports it has a connection.  So it leads me to believe the firmware has a nasty bug that isn't impacting direct Hughes subscribers, but impacts Frontier subscribers, or that the user has damaged the NIC somehow, someway, multiple times, which is unlikely.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've lost track, modem never replaced?
Brandon

possibly. but from what i've read on this subject dating back to larry's original posts 6 months ago, it appears he has changed modems and it didn't make a difference.

Makes me think it could be something within Hughes systems. I wonder if other people on his gateway or beam are experiencing simliar issues
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's the Gremlins.  I'm tellin' ya, it's the Gremlins! 
Larry Lewis1

Hi, all.  

The U.S. Army turned me (THIS IS LARRY) into a pretty good electronic tech.   I use a 2 channel O-scope somewhat regularly.   I know what Amanda said about continuity when LAN cable connected and i KNOW this is supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE.  but as Gwalk said, once, here, strange things sometimes happen.   

FYI:  This is the THIRD HT1100 modem. THE one blinking is only about a month old.  There was no DDDD around this time but I was just disconnecting and noticed this WHILE POWERING EVERYTHING DOWN for a 10 day absence from home.  The SECOND modem, really did up the blinkie thing for about 3 days. I was unable to get video of that, but surely would have liked to.  it was NOT regular and WAS the whole time for 2-1/2 to 3 days.  Then for no known reason, just stopped.  

When I got back form my trip 7 April, last Thursday,  all was OK for a day -  no DDDD while gone. Then BAM - WRONG LAN green connect check marks on the SCC diagnostics.  Wrong RED disconnect red "X's" .  And nearly 2GB GONE in 20 minutes WHILE LAN CABLE DISCONNECTED, as verified by screenshots, our history, my integrity and two witnesses.  And if anyone cares to - I DO have good documentation of which I speak here.  But other than this specific request, concerning something Champions Gwalk and I think Charles ASKED for, I am not really welcome to post here, being a Frontier customer.  

When I sent to the highest person in Frontier, THE LIAISON between Frontier and Hughes, the VERY DETAILED unequivocal screenshots, and labels, etc, of  2 WEEK AGO multiple hour - multiple Gigabyte DDDD series of events,  she IMMEDIATELY escalated it to Hughes.  

When I called today to check status (took a full hour) Hughes' official position was as Amanda had dismissed me at the end of the horrendously long "Phantom Usage - DDDD post."  --  "I am using data.  Hughes is not wrong , I am lying."     Those were pretty much her notes to FRONTIER as read to me and verified by the Frontier tech as told to the female Frontier tech AGAIN today at Tier 3 (Hughes) live  tech.   Amanda never told me nor posted this about lying,  but this is the conclusion of Hughes / Amanda / and the best of their engineers.   I - or SOMEONE in my household is lying and only using data while my LAN cable is connected.  

Folks this is just not true.  At one time I THOUGHT i was being kind and trying to (Admittedly not as efficiently as possible) to HELP Hughes with some odd, probably rare, but probably SYSTEMIC problem.  Great day, it, as I have DETAILED, ad nauseum, has been occurring for 9 months and through 3 modems.   

Since then, no anomalies, but based on 9 months of DDDD / Phantom Usage (probably 100-150 GB - yes GIGABYTYES) I do expect DDDD back.  It seems to ramp up to almost every day.   Then when it stops doing DDDD, will NOT start again UNTIL i actually legitimately connect

I would hope that this is a clue for someone who knows a lot more about digital elec tech than I do. But I do notice a lot in this most vexing, frustration situation.  

Thank you, 

Larry and Nathanael Lewis

P.S>  I am not sure what because I was on hold for ages while Frontier tech got Hughes "Tier 3 " tech.  The Hughes tech tried to dismiss the whole thing based on Amanda's conclusion as I wrote above. Somehow the Frontier tech did something, and it was not just verbal persuasion to get the Hughes guy to open up a new case and get serious about solving the problem.   We shall see.  I will not hold my breath, but hope springs eternal

Hey. spring in Northern Idaho is WONDERFUL.  now it is hard to find snow.   

Although I do not have the technical background to make this objective, still, my SUBjective opinion, is that SOMETHING happens inside the modem.  NO ONE has collected the other 2 HT1100 modems.  Does anyone at NOC want to send me a shipping label for BOTH or ALL 3? ?  I do not want them, do NOT switch them back and forth (the installer tech said they won't work anyway, and I do NOT want to be caught doing ANYTHING amiss) Besides my house is very small.  
Brandon

I think it's time you get in contact with a lawyer. if it's a hughes system problem, I doubt they will acknowledge it until legally forced
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Brandon

Do you not think it's ridiculous that hughes is denying that is something is wrong with the modem and/or their system?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think the system is accurate in tracking data usage - but, it is obvious something is wrong with his units.  The problem is, out of all the customers, this is the first time this has been reported, by a single customer, on multiple units.  What is being done by the customer to cause the modem to bug in that fashion?

I have been using several HT1X00 modems for a long, long time now, and have never seen this bug reported, nor seen it my self.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Do you not think it's ridiculous that hughes is denying that is something is wrong with the modem and/or their system?

Ridiculous ?  No, not at all. Anything and everything can and will "break" and that includes complex two-way satellite communication gear and associated software.

The fact is in this case troubleshooting continues as the root cause has yet to be determined.

Larry Lewis1

HI, all,

Thank you for your interest and comments on the "Sherlock Holmes" modern techie mystery.  Glad to hear it that troubleshooting continues. I thought that was NOT the case but I do hope it is.  Still, the communications channels are antiquated. No one EVER contacts me.  Telecommunications companies that use AFTER the fact commo and slow, inefficient procedures seem a slow way or a no-way to solve this.  

I think Frontier has gotten serious about this and Hughes tried many times to rebuff then.  I WANT both Frontier and HUGHES to make a profit on me and surely Frontier is NOT. ALL of what I pay is going to their techs for the payroll and has for months.  

Well. all my REGULAR $1000 a year.  I have not asked for an adjustment in the MANY tokens I have had to buy for about 4 months. I do not want to get a reputation for even looking like I am wanting "free internet.”  I am actually GLAD to pay the $1000 a year like I did for 2-1/2 years BEFORE the DDDD problem reared its very ugly head.    I have the “middle tier” plan.   10GB / 10GB.  

Then, yesterday and the day before Hughes top tier 3 techs tried to shine Frontier on and say I was lying, Frontier said they did not think so. If i understand this correctly upon 'Checking '- whatever that means, I do not know, someone at NOC actually saw data being used when it should NOT have been.  

The report was that it was suspected that the RADIO was the culprit.  This has NOT been changed. I have almost MAX signal and connectivity nor speed is a significant problem with me.  Radio is scheduled to be changed tomorrow 9-10 am by a great tech / installer  who has been out here 3 times prior, changing out the HT1100 modem. 

We shall see. It would be nice if the radio IS the culprit.  You can only IMAGINE how nice it will be to actually DEPEND on having the Gigabytes be CLOSE to what they were when I disconnect LAN cable at night, which it did for 28 months. 

Last night in about 20 minutes, this situation occurred, which sounds reminiscent of other EXTREME FRUSTRATION posts.  We had about 2-1/2 GB GONE in 20-30 minutes.  Should have used 50MB in that time, MAYBE.  We checked.  Nothing in history unusual.   Auto updates set to NEVER. Glasswire showed little usage.  I have no idea whether this is related to the long-standing DDDD or not.  Hey, it could have been my equipment but I doubt it and I monitor VERY carefully.  

Gwalk or anyone else - I am NOT proficient at Glasswire,  Any ideas on a good tutorial?  I love the URL's that it shows and the graphs, but I need to get "up and running" with it at a glance if that is possible.  

Thank you, 

-Larry and Nathanael Lewis 

P.S.  I concur that most of the problems with lying children are common.  But my son is not and cannot be involved in over 80% of the problem, as Amanda alleged and concluded in writing to Frontier the months long "Phantom Usage DDDD ... " post.  If there is lying or fraud here, it is me, and not my son, primarily   That is the issue from my perspective and from trying to help for months, and being dismissed does not and did not feel very good.  
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Larry,

Gwalk and I have discussed your case at length over at http://www.ricksyakshack.com/  .
Both he and I are stymied about your situation.
We did not think you were lying about your issues and both of us could only arrive at the conclusion that something WAS wrong. Specifically, we were NOT able to make a determination.

All of this was prior to your video post.
A faulty transmitter does make perfect sense and we have not discussed that aspect.

It is my sincere hope that this finally solves your problem.

Please keep us informed and feel free to come over to the "Shack" and discuss things as well.

Don  🙂