Hughesnet Community

Blinking LAN light VIDEO With no LAN cable connected-from Larry Lewis to Gwalk and other champions who requested it

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Larry Lewis1

Blinking LAN light VIDEO With no LAN cable connected-from Larry Lewis to Gwalk and other champions who requested it

Hi - champions Gwalk and others who requested this.

I don't know if this video will post well. If it doesn't, i have 2 cameras with short video clips unedited and unphotoshopped which clearly show that the LAN light is blinking while the LAN cable was disconnected.

In case the video doesn't post, unlike the prior time that the LAN light blinked for about 3 whole days, the power didn't blink out off and on for the past 2 days prior.    All i was doing was disconnecting the LAN cable in preparation for another 10 day trip to Manila. When i did this i observed what you can see on the video.

I will be sending to Frontier in a day or 2 excellent documentation of just under 2 GB of DDDD while i was a witness, Our history further evidencing this, and the screenshots, carefully made, that show our usage while the LAN cable was disconnected.   This occurred very soon  after i returned home from Manila,  and reconnected and turned on everything.

FYI: for the 10 days i was gone there was no DDDD but i expected this is par for the course. Because after the DDDD events stop they usually don't restart again until we actually legitimately  use some data

When i sent the first slug of M.S. word screenshots to Frontier right before i went to Manila, they IMMEDIATELY escalated the very well documented DDDD to HughesNet. which case should be open as i write this.   

A few weeks ago before my trip i was working and my son was at a friends house on a non-capped internet and DDDD occurred while we were both gone from the house!

Thank you, very much.

-Larry and Nate Lewis

P.S. For Newbies for this long standing problem. I have been experiencing DDDD (Phantom usage-Dreaded Data Drain Disease) for 9 months continually the total data used - wrongly attributed to me - totals between 100-200 GB.  

Here is the link to the video in case the hughesnet link poster thing doesn't work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfsXmXQqLg&feature=youtu.be
27 REPLIES 27
Larry Lewis1

Radio just changed out by Steve the great local tech.  11 am Thursday 14th April.  We shall see. 

Hey, a SHORT post by Larry
Larry Lewis1

Hi, curious ones, 

Well, it's been less than 24 hours.  

Here is the report.  

DDDD for 2 hours. - 11 pm through most of 1 am.  

So the SECOND radio made no difference.    

I was a witness and awake the whole time during the 11 pm to 1 am DDDD events.  

The LAN chart from SCC - Info - Diagnostics - Hourly show that I did inceed disconnect right at 11 pm straight up.  BUt after a half hour, SOMETHING made the Modem or whatever THINK I was connected.  

Then, when the DDDD stopped, it did nor restart.  THE most interesting "Clue' in this is that it seems liked I have to legitimately use internet to restart the DDDD.   

I may or may not be the only one who has this DDDD this consistently and over this large time span,  But from the other irate posts occasionally, I do not and never have thought I was the only one who had Data Loss / Data Shrinkage / Phantom Usage / Data Drain / Dreaded Data Drain Disease.  

NOne of us have internet to do what I have done this morning. I have GREAT detailed screenshots.  I will NOT post them here, partly because the snips are NOT labeled, but i do have them  I HAVE to get out the door.  I have ALREADY devoted a full hour and that is time I will start work later. I will gladly send the screenshots in MW Word format to anyone who wants them.  I will do so, in a day or so, to Frontier.  

It's just me, but I have such a "No give up" on knotty problems, that If I was CEO of Hughes, - a multi-Billion dollar business, I would dispatch one of the best employees, and send him out here.   WHat would it cost?  Maybe $3000?   Cheap if it would shed  some light on what I  still think is an odd SYSTEMIC problem.  

Hey, winter is gone.  High is 80 Monday. People are putting theri BOATS in the Lake, Priest Lake, one of the 10 cleanest bodies of water in USA.  

Thanks or the read,  

-Larry and Nathanael Lewis
Nordman, Idaho

Brandon

the problem is that in probably 90% of the cases with phantom usage, it does turn out to be on the customers end, usually as a result of auto updates or a program running in the background they don't know about.

So when someone posts on here about phantom usage, Hughes will automatically assume it's your fault. And since most people can't prove the phantom usage, they usually go away. However in your case , there is indisputable proof that something is going on.

When I was with hughesnet for a couple years, on 2 occasions I experienced this dddd. I had the lan unplugged and yet the data was just draining away. Fortunately in my case simply restarting the modem fixed it both times.. these glitches do seem to happen but good luck getting Hughesnet to admit that. It's always the customers fault.

But this is pretty much the mindset of any ISP unfortunately

Keep us informed. Very very curious how this ends
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Brandon, Hughes has shown publically, that the system is showing him actually using the data.

All that aside, this thread isn't aboud DDDD, it's about glitchy firmware that messes with a light on the front of the modem.  Hughes has already stated that the case, is, CLOSED.
Brandon

of course the system is showing him actually using the data, otherwise there wouldn't be an issue about phantom data usage. Just because the system is actually showing a customer using the data doesn't mean there isn't a system issue. In this case, it seems the glitchy firmware or modem is causing this dddd. so I don't see how hughes could consider that case closed when the dddd is still occurring
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Brandon,
The part you are not understanding is the fact that Larry is a Frontier customer and as such they must take the lead even though Hughes is supplying engineering . And the website is a good place to post things like Larry's video.
Larry Lewis1

HI, 

Thanks all, for your interest.  

Fronter is definitely highly involved in this, although communication channels are not what I would call efficient.  Still, at long last I have THEIR (Frontier's) attention and I cannot really say anything negative about them.  Their techs are tops and it gives my joy to report that.  

That said yesterday was a surprise.  I have had DDDD a LOT since the radio was replaced, but almost the whole time NONE of the 3 hour by hour logs worked.   It was reported and acknowledged by several others as well as Hughes.  

Hughes evidently had to work some major software magic or what have you with those logs.   It took I think well over a week.  Well, last night the first time in a while the Hour by Hour charts / graphs all worked.  

Not sure if it is connected to the software change on them, but I was SHOCKED that I had NO DDDD last night.  

I reset on the 17th and 18th and had  1/2 Gigabyte used up - from at LEAST three hours while totally disconnected both Anytime as well as Bonus.     When I went back on in the morning 3 days ago, the SCC meter said 9.8 / 9.7,  

I hope the software change did "SOMETHING."  Hope springs eternal.  

Thank you, 

-Larry