HughesNet Community

Blocked access to iCloud

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaj1234
Freshman

Blocked access to iCloud

I cannot access the iCloud server from HughesNet.

 

iCloud email comes in spurts a few times a day and then you only see the header. The body just says 'loading'. At random times access is given and then the text for a few emails comes through.

 

hughesnet email comes right through.

 

i have no problems with mail or server access when using vehicle hotspot. 

any other users seeing blocking or throttling?

39 REPLIES 39
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

iCloud isn't working for me. 

Email from iCloud.com seems to be working. I can access iCloud.com. Was also able to upgrade software on appleTV.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I still can't access iCloud.

Update 4/9/2020:  iCloud is working for me as of 7 am today.

i can not get into icloud or use MacMail consistantly if at all either unless i connect thru my phone. Forget about downloading an attachement.

Wish Hughesnet could just set a place to notify them of the problem ratehr then have to call in.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Known issue; they're working on it.

It may partly be due to congestion, so try to connect after hours.

 

PMRsApple wrote:

i can not get into icloud or use MacMail consistantly if at all either unless i connect thru my phone. Forget about downloading an attachement.

Wish Hughesnet could just set a place to notify them of the problem ratehr then have to call in.


 

I know, but they have been working on it for weeks now.... 

 

I figure we all have to post so the realize how big the problem is

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yes, they have been working on the problem for some time. This happens. 

And yes, posting your own problem with the site helps add to the data set, so by all means, post. 

 

PMRsApple wrote:

I know, but they have been working on it for weeks now.... 

 

I figure we all have to post so the realize how big the problem is


 

I’m having the same problem everyone is describing on this thread: iCloud products are not working, or only just barely, when connected to the internet via HughesNet.

On my MacBook, in my Mail app I have two accounts: iCloud (me.com actually) and EarthLink. ICloud is my primary email, has been for years. EarthLink is a legacy service for me that I rarely use but haven’t cancelled. EarthLink mail works just fine - sends and receives. ICloud mail, on the other hand, will take hours to download emails. Then often just the header but not the body. The Mail app constantly displays an Account Error for iCloud (not EarthLink): “Mail was unable to connect to server ‘p42-imap.mail.me.com’ using SSL on the default ports. Verify that this server supports SSL and that your account settings are correct.” My settings are definitely correct.

I’ve used Connection Doctor in the Mail app. Both iCloud and EarthLink use SMTP for outbound mail, and Connection Doctor shows both are working. EarthLink uses POP for inbound email, and that is working. But iCloud uses IMAP for inbound email, and that is not working. Connection Doctor says for iCloud IMAP: “Could not connect to this IMAP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the ‘Use TLS/SSL’ checkbox in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences.”

When I try to execute that last bit of advice, I find that there are no checkboxes - or any options at all - in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences for iCloud email. Apple doesn’t want you changing anything here apparently.

BTW, my iCloud email works just fine on my iPhone when connected to cellular (AT&T LTE.) When I connect my phone to WiFi (HughesNet) then email doesn’t work, just like on my MacBook.

I cannot connect to www.icloud.com on my MacBook while connected to HughesNet using either Safari or Chrome. I can go there just fine on my iPhone, connected to cellular, of course. Turn on WiFi on my phone, and www.icloud.com is inaccessible. Other websites load fine over HughesNet WiFi on my MacBook and my iPhone.

I don’t use HughesNet email, so I can’t comment about that.

My current AT&T cellular plan doesn’t allow hotspots. I may need to change to one that does. But I’m paying HughesNet for internet at home, so I shouldn’t need to change my cellular plan for that.

I hope this additional information helps HughesNet troubleshoot this. Does tech support read these forums? At least I know, from other users’ experiences described here, that the problem isn’t on my end and there’s probably nothing I can do to fix it. I appreciate the efforts of those who can.


@raj3 wrote:
I’m having the same problem everyone is describing on this thread: iCloud products are not working, or only just barely, when connected to the internet via HughesNet.

On my MacBook, in my Mail app I have two accounts: iCloud (me.com actually) and EarthLink. ICloud is my primary email, has been for years. EarthLink is a legacy service for me that I rarely use but haven’t cancelled. EarthLink mail works just fine - sends and receives. ICloud mail, on the other hand, will take hours to download emails. Then often just the header but not the body. The Mail app constantly displays an Account Error for iCloud (not EarthLink): “Mail was unable to connect to server ‘p42-imap.mail.me.com’ using SSL on the default ports. Verify that this server supports SSL and that your account settings are correct.” My settings are definitely correct.

I’ve used Connection Doctor in the Mail app. Both iCloud and EarthLink use SMTP for outbound mail, and Connection Doctor shows both are working. EarthLink uses POP for inbound email, and that is working. But iCloud uses IMAP for inbound email, and that is not working. Connection Doctor says for iCloud IMAP: “Could not connect to this IMAP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the ‘Use TLS/SSL’ checkbox in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences.”

When I try to execute that last bit of advice, I find that there are no checkboxes - or any options at all - in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences for iCloud email. Apple doesn’t want you changing anything here apparently.

BTW, my iCloud email works just fine on my iPhone when connected to cellular (AT&T LTE.) When I connect my phone to WiFi (HughesNet) then email doesn’t work, just like on my MacBook.

I cannot connect to www.icloud.com on my MacBook while connected to HughesNet using either Safari or Chrome. I can go there just fine on my iPhone, connected to cellular, of course. Turn on WiFi on my phone, and www.icloud.com is inaccessible. Other websites load fine over HughesNet WiFi on my MacBook and my iPhone.

I don’t use HughesNet email, so I can’t comment about that.

My current AT&T cellular plan doesn’t allow hotspots. I may need to change to one that does. But I’m paying HughesNet for internet at home, so I shouldn’t need to change my cellular plan for that.

I hope this additional information helps HughesNet troubleshoot this. Does tech support read these forums? At least I know, from other users’ experiences described here, that the problem isn’t on my end and there’s probably nothing I can do to fix it. I appreciate the efforts of those who can.


My Problem is EXACTLY the same as descibed here so well. Thank You. Only difference is my legacy account is aol instead of earthlink connection and I can conect my computer via my iphone LTE connection to connect for e-mail and it works great.

Good morning folks,

 

We do appreciate you posting and sharing your experiences with iCloud. We are taking note of who are affected, as this guides engineering's investigation and testing of possible resolutions. Engineering is already trialing one resolution in some areas; depending on how it works out and customer feedback, the end goal is to roll out this fix everywhere. 

 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

So far all is well, 24 hours now for me and my iCloud email has been running normally. Thank you.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Ditto. It's been working fairly well for a couple of days.

Hello,

 

Glad to already start seeing good feedback so far! I got confirmation from engineering that they have rolled out the optimization to all customers so I hope to see more feedback on their current experiences with iMessage/iCloud, bad or good.

 

  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Liz

 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Results were pretty decent a week or so ago but yesterday and today I'm getting the same 'loading' spinner for iCloud emails. They eventually load for the most part but in any case it is not acceptable. 

Good morning kaj1234,

 

Thank you for your update, I've sent your feedback to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news or instructions from them.

 

  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Liz

 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I'm still having problems with iCloud on HughesNet.  Mail:  won't download email, Account Error displayed, Connection Doctdor shows no connection to iCloud IMAP server, non-iCloud email works fine.  Messages:  won't sync messages between devices.  Browser:  can't connect to www.icloud.com.  These problems disappear when I connect to the internet with my phone's hotspot instead of using HughesNet.  

Good morning raj3,


Thank you for your feedback, I'll send this over to engineering as well. I'll post back once I have any additional news or instructions.

 

  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi raj3,

 

Thanks for your patience while our engineers looked into your case, they rechecked our end and see that all is clear. We have some suggestions and additional clarifying questions:

 

How many Apple devices do you have on your network?

 

Please tell me which device(s) you primarily use to try to access iCloud.

 

Does it make a difference if you move that device closer to the HughesNet modem?

 

Is there a difference if that device is the only thing connected to the network?

 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Liz

 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi kaj1234,

 

Thanks for your patience while engineering investigated your case. Can you please let me know how performance has been lately for you?

 

Thanks,

Liz

 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!