cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking VPN

Highlighted
New Poster

Blocking VPN

Hi, I have a teenager daughter that is getting around the blocks and time limits that I set for her devices. I believe that she is using a VPN. I am looking for suggestions to prevent this, can I block all VPNs or is there some other way she is getting around the blocks and how can I prevent it. Thanks for any advice/support.
13 REPLIES 13
Professor

Re: Blocking VPN

I'm sure you'll get better answers than mine, but from my experience, it's a losing battle, and she'd likely be better at getting around your roadblocks that you'd be at building them.   Might be time for other approaches.    

Is she bypassing your blocks at home, or everywhere? 

Assistant Professor

To add to what @maratsade said, if a true VPN was being used the joke's on her. For various technical reasons it won't work very well over a satellite connection. There's not much she can be doing and would most likely give up from frustration.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@Clarabelle 

How are you setting the blocks?  Is it in a 3rd party router?  The HughesNet modem itself?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

It is in the Hughes net modem
New Poster

Yes, I am using the HughesNet modem
New Poster

At home
Professor

Another question I have is, what kind(s) of VPN(s) is she using? Are these websites? Apps?   I don't know that these can be blocked from the modem, but others might know more about this.

Some VPNs work just fine with Hughesnet. 

Distinguished Professor III

@maratsade 

I remember the thread a while back concerning the Parental controls, but that was more blocking sites than setting times.  I also remember that it wasn't working for me until I disabled IPv6 in my computer, as the IPv6 was automatically bypassing the HT2000W's control, as its controls, or at least with website blocking, only pertains to IPv4.

I'm not at all familiar with the time settings of the Parental Controls, nor how one might get around them.  

I wonder if @C0RR0SIVE might have some ideas. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

She is using mostly apps