Blocking VPN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clarabelle
New Poster

Blocking VPN

Hi, I have a teenager daughter that is getting around the blocks and time limits that I set for her devices. I believe that she is using a VPN. I am looking for suggestions to prevent this, can I block all VPNs or is there some other way she is getting around the blocks and how can I prevent it. Thanks for any advice/support.
13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm sure you'll get better answers than mine, but from my experience, it's a losing battle, and she'd likely be better at getting around your roadblocks that you'd be at building them.   Might be time for other approaches.    

Is she bypassing your blocks at home, or everywhere? 

To add to what @maratsade said, if a true VPN was being used the joke's on her. For various technical reasons it won't work very well over a satellite connection. There's not much she can be doing and would most likely give up from frustration.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

At home
GabeU

@Clarabelle 

How are you setting the blocks?  Is it in a 3rd party router?  The HughesNet modem itself?  

It is in the Hughes net modem

Yes, I am using the HughesNet modem
maratsade

Another question I have is, what kind(s) of VPN(s) is she using? Are these websites? Apps?   I don't know that these can be blocked from the modem, but others might know more about this.

Some VPNs work just fine with Hughesnet. 

GabeU

@maratsade 

I remember the thread a while back concerning the Parental controls, but that was more blocking sites than setting times.  I also remember that it wasn't working for me until I disabled IPv6 in my computer, as the IPv6 was automatically bypassing the HT2000W's control, as its controls, or at least with website blocking, only pertains to IPv4.

I'm not at all familiar with the time settings of the Parental Controls, nor how one might get around them.  

I wonder if @C0RR0SIVE might have some ideas. 

maratsade

There are many apps for iOS(and I imagine Android too) that let kids bypass parental controls. Even on a PC or Mac, they can use proxies to bypass parental and school controls and access "forbidden" websites.  As soon as the parent blocks something, the kid finds a way to get around it.  This is why  I think maybe old-fashioned parenting measures may need to be deployed (such as confiscate all devices, ground the kids, and other consequences).  

@GabeU wrote:

I remember the thread a while back concerning the Parental controls, but that was more blocking sites than setting times.  I also remember that it wasn't working for me until I disabled IPv6 in my computer, as the IPv6 was automatically bypassing the HT2000W's control, as its controls, or at least with website blocking, only pertains to IPv4.

Ohhh..... *those* sketchy things. I forgot they even existed. There's one I was directed to many years ago to make it look like I was from the UK so I could watch BBC stuff online.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

As soon as the parent blocks something, the kid finds a way to get around it.   

And you just know that, when something's blocked, it becomes something kids MUST see, and they'll do anything they can to.  😛  

I remember when I was six or seven years old my mother had locked her bedroom door, which she didn't normally do.  Well, that piqued my interest, of course.  Needless to say, I was able to get in, and lo and behold, I found out that Santa had come early.  At that point I discovered how it was that Santa was able to deliver so many toys during one night.  He didn't.  He delivered for a long time beforehand, and the parents were in on the secret.  That sneaky Santa!  😛  

She is using mostly apps
maratsade

For iPhone, see this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8232191

This may provide ideas too:  https://protectyoungeyes.com/vpn-explained-virtual-private-network-parent-guide/

Maybe you need to go old fashioned: take the devices away and ground the kid.