cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking VPN

Professor

Re: Blocking VPN

For iPhone, see this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8232191

This may provide ideas too:  https://protectyoungeyes.com/vpn-explained-virtual-private-network-parent-guide/

Maybe you need to go old fashioned: take the devices away and ground the kid. 

Professor

There are many apps for iOS(and I imagine Android too) that let kids bypass parental controls. Even on a PC or Mac, they can use proxies to bypass parental and school controls and access "forbidden" websites.  As soon as the parent blocks something, the kid finds a way to get around it.  This is why  I think maybe old-fashioned parenting measures may need to be deployed (such as confiscate all devices, ground the kids, and other consequences).  

@GabeU wrote:

I remember the thread a while back concerning the Parental controls, but that was more blocking sites than setting times.  I also remember that it wasn't working for me until I disabled IPv6 in my computer, as the IPv6 was automatically bypassing the HT2000W's control, as its controls, or at least with website blocking, only pertains to IPv4.

Assistant Professor

Ohhh..... *those* sketchy things. I forgot they even existed. There's one I was directed to many years ago to make it look like I was from the UK so I could watch BBC stuff online.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

As soon as the parent blocks something, the kid finds a way to get around it.   

And you just know that, when something's blocked, it becomes something kids MUST see, and they'll do anything they can to.  Smiley Tongue  

I remember when I was six or seven years old my mother had locked her bedroom door, which she didn't normally do.  Well, that piqued my interest, of course.  Needless to say, I was able to get in, and lo and behold, I found out that Santa had come early.  At that point I discovered how it was that Santa was able to deliver so many toys during one night.  He didn't.  He delivered for a long time beforehand, and the parents were in on the secret.  That sneaky Santa!  Smiley Tongue  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit