Hughesnet Community

Bogus Email / Spam Phishing Attack Attempt Designed to Steal Your Personal Information

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Bogus Email / Spam Phishing Attack Attempt Designed to Steal Your Personal Information

If you get the following Email, ignore it. It's a Phishing attempt intended to steal your personal information (Spamvertized Phishing link has been disabled)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Member Account Verification
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:51:42 +0100
To: (my personal Email address)@hughes.net

Dear Value Member, 
During Our regular maintenance, it shows that your email account is under AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) 
Due to some reasons below:
  • Unable to send emails
  • Verifying Your Account (Upgraded)
  • Unidentified Location
Hughes will need you to follow the step by clicking on your (my personal Email address)@hughes.net. Once you have your account updated within 12hours, your account will work as normal and continue the unlock process. 
Failure not to verify your account might lead to account deactivated.
The reference number for this issue is 30869210. You can use this number for future correspondence.
Thank you for using HughesNet Support.
Warm Regards,
Stella
HughesNet Support

Note the poor grammar, typos and bogus From: Email address gsw.be@gmx.de

Also, if you hower your mouse cursor over the link, you should see the phony URL http://tinyurl.com/xxxxx that lies behind the displayed text.

No legitimate company will ever send you an Email asking for this kind of information.

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
4 REPLIES 4
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As the old saying goes: Never, never ever click on a link in an email.
If you do business with a company go directly to their website from your browser.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

STELLA!!!!!  And they won't embed links to click on in the email. Thanks Alan.  🙂

Dang Chicken!
highprairiest
Freshman

Thanks Hughesnet for the heads-up via an email to me today.  I NEVER click links within emails I get, but it's still nice and helpful to receive warnings like this from Hughesnet.
Amanda

I think its funny they even give you a "reference number". Scammers will do whatever it takes now a days. Thank you for the info Alan. 

~Amanda