Bonus Zone not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thewarehouse
Sophomore

Bonus Zone not working

Bonus Zone is not working correctly. We've tried the last 4 nights to upload a video to YouTube using the Bonus Zone and the percentage used is 3% but our regular data is down to 52% (with 27 days left in our billing cycle). 

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It is unclear from your post what you mean.  Are you talking about upload speed?

I don't know what the speed is during the Bonus Zone (I'm usually asleep then...although it is supposed to be unfettered) but it is not uploading or downloading in that time as it should. Instead it is using the Regular data. I guess at the moment I don't really care what the speed is as long as it is working during that allocated time; but it isn't. 

GabeU

Are you using some sort of automated method, and if so, are you sure it's uploading during the correct Bonus Zone time?  

I will double check that.

We tried straight uploading it...it's a simple video- just let it up upload during the afternoon... and it's not uploaded 4 days later. Now THAT I know is taking our regular data. But since it wasn't uploading at night any faster (the Bonus Zone went down by 1% at one point so it must have been doing something during those hours) we figured what the heck, might as well upload it during the day! It ain't working. This is the third video we've had issues with and we've used different computers. 

@GabeU wrote:

Are you using some sort of automated method, and if so, are you sure it's uploading during the correct Bonus Zone time?  

It does not appear that it is being uploaded with an automated method. Unfortunately, the person whose video is uploading is unavailable to answer my questions. However, if a video uploads continuously, it shouldn't stop at the Bonus Zone time, right? If so, then it'd keep right on keeping on... and use that Bonus Zone data. But it's not. 

GabeU

@thewarehouse wrote:
However, if a video uploads continuously, it shouldn't stop at the Bonus Zone time, right? If so, then it'd keep right on keeping on... and use that Bonus Zone data. But it's not. 

No, changing to the Bonus Zone has no effect on uploading or downloading, including items that are being uploaded/downloaded when the clock changes from 1:59AM to 2:00AM and beyond.  With that said, the speed will often plunge right around 2AM, as this is when everyone who waits to take advantage of the Bonus Zone in a given time zone is starting their downloads/uploads.  For me, the length of time the speed is lower varies, but it usually starts to pick back up after a half hour or so.  

If there is a problem uploading the video, however, the problem would also exist in the Bonus Zone, and if it's been four days for one video upload attempt in the afternoons, you've got a major issue, unless the video is HUGE, that is.  How large is the video?  Keep in mind, too, that 3% of Bonus Zone data is 1.5GB.  

The best way you're going to be able to troubleshoot this issue, as in see how much data is actually being uploaded during the Bonus Zone and being able to compare it to HughesNet's tally, is to install data monitoring software.  If it's being uploaded by a Windows PC I recommend Glasswire.  It's what many people here (HughesNet customers) use.  It will tell you how much data was used, when it was used, and just what used it, as in programs, apps or system processes.  It's free and works very well.  It won't be able to tell you anything about what's already been done, but only what happens after you install it.  There is also a version available for Android based devices, though I've not tried it.  There are other data monitoring programs/apps for other device types.

@GabeU wrote:

If there is a problem uploading the video, however, the problem would also exist in the Bonus Zone, and if it's been four days for one video upload attempt in the afternoons, you've got a major issue, unless the video is HUGE, that is.  How large is the video?  Keep in mind, too, that 3% of Bonus Zone data is 1.5GB.  

The best way you're going to be able to troubleshoot this issue, as in see how much data is actually being uploaded during the Bonus Zone and being able to compare it to HughesNet's tally, is to install data monitoring software.  If it's being uploaded by a Windows PC I recommend Glasswire.  It's what many people here (HughesNet customers) use.  It will tell you how much data was used, when it was used, and just what used it, as in programs, apps or system processes.  It's free and works very well.  It won't be able to tell you anything about what's already been done, but only what happens after you install it.  There is also a version available for Android based devices, though I've not tried it.  There are other data monitoring programs/apps for other device types.

Great point about the 3% equating to 1.5GB. 

Do you know of a data monitoring for mac? Right now it's uploading on a mac. Previously the uploads were on a windows laptop. I suggested trying my windows laptop (not the same as the first) but he's not wanting to start all over and have it go just as slow, or slower. 

GabeU

@thewarehouse wrote: 

Do you know of a data monitoring for mac? Right now it's uploading on a mac. Previously the uploads were on a windows laptop. I suggested trying my windows laptop (not the same as the first) but he's not wanting to start all over and have it go just as slow, or slower. 

Networx is a pretty good application.  I'm only familiar with the Windows version, but if the Mac version is similar it may very well help.  The only drawback is that Networx is no longer free, but it does come with a fully featured 30 day trial, so it might be worth trying, nonetheless.  I think it just locks after 30 days unless you decide to buy it.  If Glasswire didn't exist, Networx is what I would personally be using.  

There are also a couple of free apps that might be worth looking at.  You can find them here, though I can't speak to their quality or whether they would show anything helpful. 

The Mac OS also has a built in Activity Monitor with a Network tab, though I don't really know what it shows.  From the looks of it, it might not be enough, but being that it's already there it would probably be worth looking at.

maratsade

"I don't know what the speed is during the Bonus Zone (I'm usually asleep then...although it is supposed to be unfettered)"

The bonus zone is not unfettered. Speeds will depend on as many variables as speeds outside the bonus zone; and the amount of data in the bonus zone is 50GB per month, so you could run out too (seems you haven't run out, though). 

Stupid question: have you tried rebooting everything (including the modem) to see if the problem clears?

@maratsade wrote:

"I don't know what the speed is during the Bonus Zone (I'm usually asleep then...although it is supposed to be unfettered)"

The bonus zone is not unfettered. Speeds will depend on as many variables as speeds outside the bonus zone; and the amount of data in the bonus zone is 50GB per month, so you could run out too (seems you haven't run out, though). 

Stupid question: have you tried rebooting everything (including the modem) to see if the problem clears?

By 'unfettered' I simply meant not throttled intentionally, outside of the variables that generally cannot be controlled such as weather, outages, and etc., because there is plenty of usable data. My apologies for incorrect word usage. 
Yes, we've rebooted in various ways.This is the third time the video issue has come up. I've had many issues with my HN service; this is just the latest. I'm trying to be positive and just keep on keeping on here.