Buffering

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Faye
New Poster

Buffering

I'm a new customer. Have a firestick. The only app we can watch is Netflix. All others buffer. No help from support. Have had 2 techs to come out & they said they have no idea what to do. Have very good strength on wifi signal.

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Many things affect streaming, such as the latency inherent to satellite internet, congestion and internet traffic in your area, having exhausted your data allowance, and others. Are you trying to stream during prime time? 

Faye wrote:

I'm a new customer. Have a firestick. The only app we can watch is Netflix. All others buffer. No help from support. Have had 2 techs to come out & they said they have no idea what to do. Have very good strength on wifi signal.

no, this happens anytime you try to use it

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Faye 

The first step to establishing what might be going on is running a few speed tests.  The instructions for those speed tests are here.  Please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure they are run properly.  After you've run a few, please post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so that the test results can be viewed.  Please be sure that you have data before running the tests, however, as tests run while out of data and throttled will be of no value.

With this said, even with speed that would or should normally be adequate, there can still be considerable congestion.  This is due to so many more people being home and online because of the pandemic.  And that congestion tends to be even worse for those on already heavily loaded beams, which are even more heavily loaded now than they would normally be.  That congestion, coupled with the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, can cause streaming to be problematic.  This is especially the case with Amazon Prime itself, with seems to be the most severely affected, while Netflix tends to be the least affected.

Good morning Faye, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!