Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffers every sixty seconds on on demand dish network

New Poster

Buffers every sixty seconds on on demand dish network

8 REPLIES 8
Professor

Re: Buffers every sixty seconds on on demand dish network

If you'd like someone to look into this, you will need to provide more details. 

Edit: "Include relevant details about your concern in your post. Helpful things like what operating system and web browser you are using go a long way. Even better things to add are details such as when you first started experiencing the problem, and what you have done so far to troubleshoot." 

(Source: Community Guidelines, https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/m-p/73099#M1194)

Distinguished Professor III

@Jh11 

Are you being sure to turn off (or pause) the Video Data Saver?  

And, though it's difficult to tell when going off of nothing more than a title, if you're using your Dish Network receiver to stream, please be aware that satellite TV receivers can use your data for things other than on demand viewing, which can exhaust your monthly data allotment very quickly.   For this reason, connecting a satellite TV receiver to HughesNet is NOT recommended.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Although I understand what you mean by not connecting the satellite receiver to the HughesNet system. Isn’t it one of the main reasons for connecting them together is for streaming. If I had another way to do the streaming I would do it. Is there another way to stream the movies or shows that are offered on dish?

@hifire98 

You're certainly free to use your HughesNet service however you wish (within the context of the Terms of Service, of course).  I'm only letting the OP about the high data usage issue that can occur when connecting a satellite TV receiver to HughesNet's service, and that, because of that high data usage possibility, doing so is recommended against.  The receivers can end up using your data to update their guide, program descriptions, cast lists, etc, which means they can use your HughesNet data even if you never watch one second of on demand programming.  This is why it's recommended against. 

I believe Dish Network has Dish Go. You might look into that.  You can likely stream to a device, like a laptop, then cast to your TV or connect the laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable and stream your Dish programs that way.  This way you would avoid the extra data usage that the satellite TV receivers may cause.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

I appreciate your reply and I would love to be able to do it the way you have mentioned but wouldn’t that be using you phone data when streaming that way? I wish we had more control over how and when excessive data uses occur within the dish and HughesNet systems. I have turned odd the data saver and was able to stream a tv show last night but at about 8pm we were trying to stream the rest of a free movie we wanted to watch and the speeds dropped to a speed that was way to slow and it buffered about every 5 minutes. Very disappointing!!!!
Highlighted

@hifire98 wrote:
I appreciate your reply and I would love to be able to do it the way you have mentioned but wouldn’t that be using you phone data when streaming that way? 

Perhaps you can explain what you mean.  A laptop, or any other device, connected to and using your HughesNet service is going to use your HughesNet data for any online activity performed.  A device is only going to use your mobile data if it's set to do so.  

Edit:  After reading maratsade's post below, I'm thinking now that you were referring to the "casting" part.  Like maratsade mentioned, the casting itself won't use your data, though the streaming will, of course.  Some devices rely on your home network for casting, while others can cast directly to your TV wirelessly.

Professor

If your phone is connected to the Hughesnet modem via wifi, then you'd be using your Hughesnet data to download shows.  No data would be used for casting. 

Buffering at 8 pm is probably due to congestion (too many people using the available broadband).  Streaming is very data intensive, and because satellite broadband is limited and it must be shared among subscribers, buffering happens when everyone is drawing a lot of data from the common pool. 

hifire98 wrote:
I appreciate your reply and I would love to be able to do it the way you have mentioned but wouldn’t that be using you phone data when streaming that way? I wish we had more control over how and when excessive data uses occur within the dish and HughesNet systems. I have turned odd the data saver and was able to stream a tv show last night but at about 8pm we were trying to stream the rest of a free movie we wanted to watch and the speeds dropped to a speed that was way to slow and it buffered about every 5 minutes. Very disappointing!!!!

Hi Jh11,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->