cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John2
Freshman

Business Download Speed Has Become Unusable

Case number 5700075

Since I transitioned to the Business Plan last year speeds have been pretty good and consistent. Then, had slower than normal speeds for several months, starting in December 2016. Usually averaged 8 to 10 mbps download and .80 upload before December.

Tech came out and replaced modem and radio two weeks ago. Improvement with morning speeds, afternoon and evening speeds went down to kbps speeds.

I’ve called back several times to Business Support and am being told that my case has been escalated. Don’t know what that means but my service is worse now. I had a call from an engineer, Winfrey who said he did a “force association.” He left a voice mail so I did not get to talk to him. He is not in today when I called in.

2-10-17:  Today my max download speed has been 1.4 mbps, sunny day. Tested via testmy.net, with and without the router in the system

I’ve called Support several times and get the same “escalation” reply.

We use this service for my business and we need to send and receive large graphics and video files every day. Could not send files at all today. Forced vacation.

Any ideas? Help!

36 REPLIES 36

Liz,

Still nothing from Enterprise. I could not work from my office yesterday as download speeds were under 1 mbps all day (Sunday).

Would be nice to know if there is a technical issue or is this just the new norm with over crowding? Please reach out to Winfrey.

Case number: 57531800

Thanks, John

Hello John,

Thank you for this update, I've sent it to the enterprise department and let them know that you have yet to hear back from Winfrey.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Winfrey called while I was out of the office the other day and stated that I was getting above average speeds on the voice mail. That may have been true when he called around 2 PM cdt. He said he would call back but I have not heard from him yet. When I got home around 4 PM cdt the download speeds were in the kbps range again.

Today I receive a Hughesnet email encouraging me to sign up for Gen5. The plans look good on the surface. How long has this service been active? Are the download/upload speeds more consistent and reliable than what I'm experiencing with Gen4? Maybe Gen5 is the answer?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I would suggest upgrading to Gen 5. We've been upgrading users to Gen 5 since last week, and they're all going right onto our new EchoStar 19 satellite that we launched in December. With all that capacity on the new satellite, your speeds are certainly going to improve. 

Here are a couple of first hand accounts from other HughesNet (residential) customers who upgraded to Gen 5:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Products-and-Plans/GEN-5-Speed-faster-than-advertised/m-p/74637/t...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Products-and-Plans/Did-my-first-install-of-Gen5-today/m-p/74061#U...

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I called to order/upgrade. I received an email inviting me to get Gen5 the rep said I could not upgrade until 4-1-17.

Oh well.

Thanks, John

Liz,

Still struggling with afternoon and evening download speeds in the kbps range.

Tried to upgrade to Gen5 today and was told it's not quite ready for business plans yet and to call back next week.

What do you hear about the Gen5 schedule?

I've learned that it's pretty much useless to call in to tech support re slow speeds as I get symphathy but no results.

Thanks,

John

case 103411123

Hi John,

Business plans not ready? Hmm, let me double check on that. We did cover what the business plans were when we were informed about all the new Gen 5 plans, but there was no mention specifically for Gen 5 business availability. I'll have to look into that for you.

Good morning John,

Thank you so much for your patience while I sought Gen 5 business plan info for you. It's true, business plans aren't ready for sale right now. They should be soon, hopefully by the end of the month, but there is no definite ETA yet. If I hear any news on Gen 5 business plan availability, I'll let you know.

Liz,

Thanks for the update.

So I guess there's no resolution to my afternoon and evening download speeds in the kbps range? It's impossible to do some of my work with this slow service.

These slow donwload speeds have been consistently in this range since the beginning of the year.

Is it simply due to congestion?

Any ideas on what I might try to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

John

Good morning John, 

I'm sorry to hear that, let me see if the enterprise department has already exhausted all their tech support options with your case and have them reach out if there's anything more they can do. 

Thank you.

Liz,

Looking forward to the new service. Sounds good on the website.

The Hugesnet rep said that I can keep my existing email addresses!

Is there anything I need to do to ensure that?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Just send me a private message (PM) with your new "DSS" SAN by clicking on my user icon and clicking Send Message on my profile page. This way I can have your email accounts migrated from your SME account to your new SAN.

Hello Liz Lemon,

Gen5 installed yesterday. Very fast speeds, down and up, consistent ALL day!

One thing though my cache of tokens dissapeared. I think I had about 5.5 Gig.

How can I go about asking for restoration of the tokens?

Thanks for all,

John

Awesome! Happy to hear that, John. 

I'll take care of the tokens for you.

Liz,

Tokens replenished. Thanks for all!

John