Hughesnet Community

Can I Route Content From Hughes Router To Computer Back To Tv By Wifi ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Can I Route Content From Hughes Router To Computer Back To Tv By Wifi ?

Could you using wifi router content from Gen5 modem router to computer back to router and to Tv Wifi? I don't wish to connect the Tv Wifi directly to the Gen5 router. Is this possiable ? or do I have to run a HDMI cable from the computer to the Tv?

19 REPLIES 19
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Example- I have  a utube video on my computer from the Gen5 router. Can I then send that content to a Tv via Wifi? I would think to send content from the computer to the Tv would route it back thru the Gen5 router , to the Tv. I am trying to eliminate running hdmi cable to the tv from the computer.

I don't want to connect the Tv by wifi to the Gen5 router. I wish to have the content come from the computer. to the Tv.

Hope this helps. Thanks

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Could you describe your question a bit differently? Or what your goal is?  Had a somewhat hard time understanding what you have asked.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ahh... About the only way you can accomplish that is using something like ChromeCast (which connects to the wifi router and plugs into an HDMI port... has to be on same network as the computer), or use an HDMI cable...  Curious, why would you want to eliminate the HDMI cable?  You can get long ones for fairly cheap these days.

I just wanted to eliminate the cable. I use a VGA cable now, but the new tv doesn't have a VGA port.

I'll try a USB-HDMI adapter and a long HDMI cable..

I'm thinking using a smart Tv wifi connection to the Hug router would use more allowance than thru the computer, where I have ad, video auto play blockers. I know I can send files to the Tv by wifi thru HUG router, so I was curious if I could eliminate the HDMI cable.

Thanks.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I cast from my laptop to Samsung smart TV all the time. The key is if the TV supports it. I just right click on the video and a "play to" option will appear as long as the TV is turned on. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro OS also. It doesn't use any HughesNet data as is all done over the local WiFi network.

Screen Cast.PNG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

PS: As long as the TV shows up in Devices and Printers with a green play icon then it should work.

Capture.PNG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

PPS: Just tried it with the 55" Hisense TV in the living room and works on it also. Did have to go into the TV settings and turn on "Anyview Stream" option in Network settings. Can appear as different things lik "Screen Casting" "WiFi Streaming", etc. depending on the TV make/model.

I am using Linux Mint , so I don't think I have this function.

I see this on my smart phone,

Thanks

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Might want to read through this then. Kodi (XMBC) is a good option, I have it running on my Raspberry PI.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=218796

Thanks for the Linux info.

It gets a bit daunting, I'm 66, so the simplest solution maybe for cables; hdmi and audio.

Thanks again.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hey, I'm 64 tomorrow but still like a challenge. Linux is much more of a low level OS kinda like DOS was, so takes much more understanding to install addons. I do understand if it intimidates you a bit but I personally never want to stop learning.

Granted, I have an electronics/computer background my whole life so probably more up to jumping into new things when it comes to software and OS updates.

Still think you may want to look into this: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

I personally hate cables also and am going more and more wireless. My HDMI cables are wrapped up around the back of my devices lately, no need for them. The only one I use regularly is one going from the Raspberry PI to the main living room TV. Could eliminate it if really wanted to.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:
I cast from my laptop to Samsung smart TV all the time. The key is if the TV supports it. I just right click on the video and a "play to" option will appear as long as the TV is turned on. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro OS also. It doesn't use any HughesNet data as is all done over the local WiFi network.

PS: As long as the TV shows up in Devices and Printers with a green play icon then it should work. 

OMG.  I had no idea I could do this!  I just got a new 43" LG TV last week and it connected easily to my laptop and before I even set any preferences it was mirroring my laptop on the TV.  This is so cool!  I'm gonna have to play around with this!  I watched a couple of Youtube vids, which worked perfectly, as did the sound.  

Plex is practically the only reliable option for Macs (no Windows Media Server, obvs.). I use it for my Sammy and XBox.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah, ❤️ PLEX, one of the best platforms out there, just wish they would stick to something and do it and not keep changing/breaking things.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

There went one of your excuses to not use my PLEX @GabeU 😛

Exactly!  LOL.  

After leaving my previous reply, I watched a few more Youtube videos and it worked well, though when I tried it in HD there was one that seemed to have this popping sound to it.  It may have just been a glitch and would have worked fine had I restarted everything.  

And, while my Dell Inspiron laptop does this well, I can't get my Acer notebook to connect.  The notebook sees the TV and vice versa, but they just won't make that handshake.  I'll have to play around a little to see if there is anything I can adjust to get it to work.  I'll also try moving the notebook very close to the TV to see if that makes any difference, though it was only about 15 feet away, and with a direct line of site, when it wouldn't connect.  I updated the TV's firmware (nearly 1GB!) last night and haven't tried it with the notebook since then, so maybe it will work now.  

Again, though, this is pretty darn neat!  

It is neat, but basically needs 802.11n or ac to work correctly. 11g is kind of iffy for video, but will work 98% of the time with 2.0 or 2.1 music. 5.1 DTS (of which I have a nice library of), not so much.

Edit: that should have been 802.11, not 803.11. Have no idea why I have 803 stuck in my head for some reason.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

I know that both the Dell Laptop and Acer Notebook can utilize 802.11n, as that's what I had changed the HT2000W to in order to get a little better speed when using the 2.4Ghz radio.  With that said, though, it connects to the TV at whatever it does (I don't know how to control whether it uses n or g).  As for the audio, I'll have to check to see whether I can change that to see if that makes any difference with that popping sound.  I'm sure I can, but I have to find out where in the settings I can do so, though the TV's firmware update may have solved that problem, as well.      

This opens up a lot of possibilities.  I had used my laptop for the SNES emulator and Final Fantasy II (FF IV, now) and Zelda, and though it displayed properly on my laptop (not widescreen, though) it wouldn't do so on my TV when I used an HDMI cable (my laptop has an HDMI port).  With this it will work properly, as it's just mirroring what's on the screen.  It worked when just displaying my laptop screen, but not when the emulator was running.  It was "stretching."

Chromecast looks intriguing. A linux user posted this-

https://www.linux.com/learn/how-stream-content-linux-system-chromecast

I still need to know if it would similcast. It appears it would, as it works with a mobile phone, in and out to the receiver in the tv hdmi port. This is what I am looking for.