cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade from a "residential" plan to a "business" plan without terminating my existing contract or changing equipment?

Can I upgrade from a "residential" plan to a "business" plan without terminating my existing contract or changing equipment?

Wife newly works a 9-5 job from home and is required to use Skype for multi-party videoconferencing. The residential internet plan we were using will not be enough data to cover it, so as we convert to a home office, we also want to upgrade to a Hughes net business plan with a higher data limit during daytime work hours. Speed is not an issue. We don't need more speed than we currently have, just more monthly daytime data. How do we do this?

I've been trying to figure this out via the website, but I'm in over my head.  Does the require a new modem and early termination (with fee) of our existing residential plan? Help please.
10 REPLIES 10
Associate Professor

Re: Can I upgrade from a "residential" plan to a "business" plan without terminating my existing contract or changing equipment?

You should be able to keep the same equipment, though I want to say you would end up in a new and different contract if you cancel a consumer grade account and change to a business grade account... Amanda will certainly know the best route for you to go.  Hope she chimes in ASAP.

Re: Can I upgrade from a "residential" plan to a "business" plan without terminating my existing contract or changing equipment?

Good morning tchibanga2000,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! You should be able to upgrade to a business plan (no need to terminate your current residential plan, you just need to commit to the new business plan) and keep your current equipment. Please be sure to let the sales rep know your current situation and requirements so they know not to send a tech to install new equipment. I'm not sure if your wife also had any use for static IPs at work, but please be aware that static IPs are not available to the HT1100 system. Give us a call on our business line here: 866-425-9723

Please don't hesitate to post back with any additional concerns you may have.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

I'm finally getting around to doing this, but I'm having trouble finding the right people to talk to. When I call the business line you posted above, the system asks for my info and then automatically shuttles me back to a Residential plan operator... who tells me I need to call the Business line. The second time i called the business line I chose different options ended up talking to a "technical help" operator who explained that I would probably need to to call the Business line and say that I am a new customer rather than an existing customer in order to be routed to their sales people and have them open a new business account for me (and then later in the process explain that I am already a residential customer and he was a little foggy on how it would work after that...).

So, I called the Business Line again, said I was a new customer wanting to set up a business account. A woman took all my info, but then explained that she was only an answering service and would have a sales rep call me. I have been through this process twice now. No sales rep has called me.

Am I on the right track here?

I'm still confused on whether my current residential account will have to be "cancelled" with penalty or not? One person on the phone seemed to think I would need new equipment and the other said I would not. Neither seemed sure.

I want to pay Hughes Net more money for service that matches my usage better and allows my wife's home based consulting business to function. I have the leased equipment already and don't need a service visit. I just need someone to make the switch from my current residential plan to a new business plan for me, or explain what to do that I haven't already done...

Help please.

Thanks.

Hi tchibanga2000,

In following up on your case, I learned that you called in this morning and it seems that you were able to get your business account set up. Congratulations! Please let me know if you still have additional concerns, we're more than happy to help.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Advanced Tutor

I'd be very interested to know the process you went through, and if there were any additional charges, or if a technician needed to come back out.

Please let us know.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Alan Thompson and Liz,

This is a follow up long after the fact. The process was not smooth, but it is complete.

The process of getting correct information on how to upgrade from residential to business class HughesNet was painful/confusing to say the least. The HughesNet websites are not helpful in this regard, and the request to make this type of upgrade seemed to baffle a number of customer service reps on the phone, but eventually I got it figured out.

Basically, you have to order the business class HughesNet (via the phone number on the HughesNet business website) as if you don't have an existing residential account, because if you mention the existence of the residential account you are immediately shuttled back to the residential HughesNet customer service system (I was initially stuck in that circle). Once you are actually talking to the sales rep for the business system, you can explain your situation and he/she can help get the process organized (though you still have to make several of the phone calls yourself).

Liz, a technician visit was in fact required because the business class dish is larger than the residential dish (supposedly provides a stronger/more reliable signal in inclement weather, though my experience after a few storms is that it's not noticeably different). The technician also replaced the modem and radio transmitter with new ones, though these pieces were exactly the same models as what he replaced (according to the tech). The tech that came for business installation was MUCH more professional than the guy who had installed the original residential dish etc. The business tech only does business installs, not residential. He noted that the original installer had not grounded the system and had made several other errors though it was working ok. He fixed it, worked quickly and efficiently and was then headed back to installing HughesNet Business systems at several of the regional Costco stores.

I had to cancel the residential service as part of upgrading to the business system and part of the cancellation involves sending back the modem and radio transmitter that was installed with that account (which seems stupid/inefficient given they were replaced with the same models). HughesNet sent a UPS box to return these items in, which I did.

I should mention that the old (smaller) residential dish was left for me to dispose of (HughesNet policy according to the installer). I'll have to haul it off with some other junk later.

All the reps along the way assured me that I would not get charged a cancellation fee on the residential account because I was upgrading to a business account, but I did get charged the cancellation fee, and a month land a half later had to call the billing department to get the fee refunded, which they eventually did, with an apology.

Alan, my business account is the Select 200 plan, for which I am paying $99.99/month, plus various taxes and a $19.99/month equipment rental fee. The install of the business account equipment was "free," but I was charged a $99.99 "Activation Fee - HughesNet Upfront Equipment Fee."

I have applied for a $200 mail-in rebate that was offered for the business installation, though again, the existence of this rebate was not made explicit, but the paperwork for which is available via the Business HughesNet web page. We'll see if it comes through.

As with the residential plan, there seems to have been a "grace period" of unknown length (at least a couple of weeks) after the business install when usage was not being metered.

My final problem with the switch over is that on the web based myhughesnet portal my old residential account login is still recognized (I'm using it at this very moment), but I am unable to set up a new account using my new business account SAN number. Every time I try, I get an error that says the info is incorrect or not found. I have a working theory that this is because the phone number/ address of the new business account is the same as that of the old (now cancelled) residential account. I'm yet to figure out how to fix this.

As for the internet, it works fine as long as it isn't storming or raining hard, and we now have daytime data, which is what we needed for our business. We are located in a very rural area, and satellite internet is our only option at the moment.

Hope this info helps someone else going through this process.

- tchibanga2000

Hi tchibanga2000,

I really appreciate you coming back and taking the time to post your account of the process you went through. I'm sorry it was not as smooth as either of us would've liked, but I'm glad you were able to get the business upgrade. I will bring your experience and feedback up with management so that we may make the process more clear and easy for others.

As for setting up a new account using your new SAN, do you mean registering a new account in the Support Center so you can check your usage/account/billing info online? If so, I can have our devs look into this for you.

-Liz

Thanks again Liz,

User error on my part. I apparently had used my wife's phone when calling the sales rep for the business account and that was the number that was associated with my new SAN number whereas the residential account had used my phone number. Just got it sorted/figured out and this new account has been created successfully now. All is well.

- the user formerly known as tchibanga2000 Smiley Wink

Ahhh, whew! Glad you figured it out, thank you for letting me know. Smiley Happy

-Liz