Hughesnet Community

Can a Hughesnet limit some services so we can all have internet access.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gertieg
Sophomore

Can a Hughesnet limit some services so we can all have internet access.....

I would love for the streaming to stop so I can at least check my email. Is there anything they can do....I am so sorry Hughesnet and their customers are having such a difficult time. I understand they are not able to make us happy. I just wish something could be done.

gertieg

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I keep hoping Netflix and the others will downgrade streaming quality, like they've done in Europe.  

EDIT: HughesNet would likely be unable to block all streaming, as some streaming has to do with education, healthcare, and other essential things.  

Fingers crossed...

Hughesnet has always been my only solution to the outside world....Cell phone can be just as bad. I might have to go sit in the  McDonalds parking lot.....

GabeU

@gertieg 

I'm reasonably sure that stopping it altogether isn't something they can't do, both for legal reasons and the fact that some types of streaming is still needed, but it's definitely "recreational" streaming that is causing a lot of this slowdown.  😞  

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the Video Data Saver control is no longer there for me.  I don't know if this is a glitch or intentional, but I hope it's the latter.  If it is intentional, it should help somewhat, as most streaming will be held to around 480p and no higher.  The difference between 480p and 1080p, bandwidth wise, is considerable.  

Other than a single 15 second video last week, I've avoided all video/streaming for nearly a month.  I wish more people would do the same.

Edit:  It looks like it might just be a glitch, as I can still get to the control on the My Acccount site.  😞   It's kind of funny to think that I wish an option wasn't working.  😛 

maratsade

I still have the VDS. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I still have the VDS. 

Mine just came back up on my Usage Meter.  

I got my hopes up too soon.  LOL.  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

Mine just came back up on my Usage Meter.  

I got my hopes up too soon.  LOL.  

LOL!  

Where can I send my vote for Video Data Saver.

maratsade

The reps here will see your post and they will take note of your suggestion. 

gertieg wrote:

Where can I send my vote for Video Data Saver.

Liz

Good morning gertieg,

Thank you for posting and sharing your valuable feedback, I can certainly pass this up to the appropriate department!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!