Can no longer stream Amazon Prime through Fire stick

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GailWasiskiMile
Sophomore

Can no longer stream Amazon Prime through Fire stick

About a month ago, I had to have my hughes net modem replaced and it seems that at the same time, I can no longer keep connected to the Amazon Prime on the firestick. It flicks on and off every few seconds...BUT I can stream Neyflix with no problems on the Firestick. I have contacted Amazon tech help..tried everything, rebooting Hughes modem, resetting firestick to factory settings, bought an adapter extender cord to hook up with a LAN line directly to Hughes modem..etc etc.
I can no longer access the Amazon Prime app on my smartv either. This would all be wireless.
It is like Hughes has blocked the Amazon Prime streaming app for some reason. It says the connection is VERY GOOD..connects then disconnects every few seconds.
Any other suggestions??
I believe it is on Hughes end..even tho they say it is not.
30 REPLIES 30

I don't have a Firestick myself, but isn't it supposed to be plugged into the TV as opposed to the modem?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

n/c

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

I don't have a Firestick myself, but isn't it supposed to be plugged into the TV as opposed to the modem?

-Liz

I think the OP may be referring to connecting the Fire Stick to HughesNet via LAN cable rather than WiFi.  They make an Ethernet adapter for the Fire Stick for those who don't have, or would rather not use, WiFi.

It IS plugged into the tv. I was connecting via wifi when I started having the problem with the Firestick continuously dropping wireless connection constantly..which only happened around when I had to have NEW Hughes modem installed..i then purchased a separate device so i could connect a LAN line from tv..firestick..new adapter..to the LAN on Hughes modem.
It did nothing to help the continuous dropping of internet connection even tho it says the connection is Excellent but i CAN connect to NETFLIX on The firestick with no PROBLEMs.
I also have a separate firestick on another TV that does the same thing. Also when i try to connect to Amazon Prime bideo app on my smart VizioTV..i have the continuous every few seconds of connecting and disconnecting..only on Amazon Prime video.
I am next going to add my own wifi router to Hughes modem...maybe that will help.

Also, there seems to be MANY other people that have problems with the connectivity to the Amazon Firestick when I scroll through the Hughes Community posts
maratsade

Amazon Prime is finicky and doesn't play well with satellite internet and its inherent latency. It may also be sensitive to congestion. Hopefully you'll be able to solve this problem, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as it may be something that can't be fixed, at least at the moment. 

I am going to hook up my old wireless router which is the way I had it before they had to come out and replace the Hughes modem a month ago..and that is when I started having these problems.
There seem to be many other people with this same problem..the firestick amazon prime video and Hughes modems..so hopefully it Works!
Thank you for your help.
GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Amazon Prime is finicky and doesn't play well with satellite internet and its inherent latency. It may also be sensitive to congestion. Hopefully you'll be able to solve this problem, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as it may be something that can't be fixed, at least at the moment. 

Exactly.  This what I've been thinking from the get go.  Just Prime not playing well with the congestion and latency.  It doesn't work well for me either, while the others seem to be fine, for the most part.  Well, save for during peak load time, when all of them can be erratic.

GabeU

@GailWasiskiMile wrote:
I disconnected all but DirecTV and my Straight Talk Hone base and there is 1 other device I have no clue what it goes to! 

For reference, and not related to your current issue, HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service.  This is especially the case with DirecTV receivers.  The reason is that satellite TV receivers can use your internet data on their own, and a lot of it, even if nothing is ever watch via On Demand.  In the case of DirecTV receivers, they can use your internet data for Guide updates, as well as Program descriptions, cast lists, etc.  They may also use your internet data to download the pre-pay "instant watch" films that you can often see sandwiched in between the pay movie channels.  And again, there's no way to control this data usage.  People have seen their monthly data allotment wiped out in short order by satellite TV receivers.  

Again, this is only a recommendation.  Disconnecting your DirecTV receiver from HughesNet is not something you have to do, but if you see your data being used quickly, you should consider it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Regarding your current troubleshooting, just in case it helps, while using a device that is connected to your HughesNet modem, whether by WiFi or LAN cable, you can see your currently connected and disconnected devices on this modem page.  The "disconnected" devices are devices that were connected, but have since been disconnected.  The logs on that modem page are only from the last time the modem was plugged in, as unplugging the modem clears them.  All times shown are in UTC.    

Thanks for the clarification, Gabe. GailWasiskiMile, is that what you're using? An adapter to connect the Firestick to the modem?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!