Hughesnet Community

Can not SEND email from Outlook or from Macintosh Mail. (I can receive email)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertOder
Junior

Can not SEND email from Outlook or from Macintosh Mail. (I can receive email)

I can not send outgoing email from Outlook on PC, nor from Macintosh Mail, nor from iPad nor from iPhone.  I get an error message that the server cannot authenticate my username/password.  I am absolutely certain that I know my password and my username, and that they are entered into my devices correctly.  My email has worked just fine for years, and suddenly I cannot send from any of these devices.

The problem appears to be a bug in the outgoing email server.  The server sometimes fails to properly authenticate correct credentials from third party email clients (Outlook, Mail, iPad, iPhone, etc.).  Can someone in technical support get in contact with the Sysops and have them fix this?  This happens the most when staff is short at the Holidays.

Thank you very much!

Robert Oder, HughesNet user for 20 years

10 REPLIES 10
Damian

@RobertOder,

Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this. This is an ongoing issue that has not been fixed permanently yet. The team has made strides so that this happens less but it is still something that will be experienced from time to time. While I am not in the email engineering department, I do know that there are many factors at play that cause this so unfortunately, there is no quick fix. The best I can recommend is to wait a bit as this is usually already being addressed internally for our customers. If you have another way to send emails, I would use that in the meantime. I will definitely still pass this along and update you with whatever information I receive.

-Damian 

Hi Damien:

Thank you for your truthful response.  It has now been more than 24 hours since the problem began, and I still am unable to utilize my email account.  I live in a rural area with no other choice for internet and this is very difficult for me.  At this point, I am insisting that it is reasonable to expect that somebody at HughesNet does what it takes to get this email up and running immediately!

Thank you.

Robert

Robert

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RobertOder 

Though this isn't going to solve your current issue, nor is it an attempt to dismiss it, I'd consider looking into one of the more popular free email services available, like Gmail, Yahoomail or even Outlook. Don't get me wrong, I know it's a pain, especially when you've been using the same email for a long time and that's what you and everyone who knows you or converses with you is used to, and you shouldn't have to, but at this point it might be of benefit to at least take a look. As well, and though I don't necessarily know that this is going to happen with HughesNet, or even happen anytime soon if it is, proprietary email service is progressively going by the wayside with ISPs. Fewer and fewer people use it, so some don't offer it anymore, and some that did no longer do. 

It's just a thought.

Hi Gabe:

We had this same discussion about a year ago.  Your advice is good, and it is well taken.  The reason I have stuck it out this long with Hughesnet email is because we are in the real estate industry, and that email is on several buildings all around town.  The change out to replace those signs will cost me about $30K but at this point it is what Im going to do.  Of all of them, professional gmail, with a custom domain, appears to be the best.  Google has a huge data center that is well staffed 24/7, and although they mine your email, I have never heard anybody complain that their gmail went down.  If you have any further suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

The HughesNet satellite system is really pretty good.  I live in a rural area in the mountains on a ranch and I work out of my house.  HughesNet is still my only choice for ISP.  It has been quite reliable - albeit a bit slow at times - but it has been quite good for nearly 20 years now.  The email system started getting flakey a few years ago.

Have a great New Years!

Robert Oder

Temecula, CA

wow!  after 20+ years, my first kudo!

GabeU

@RobertOder wrote:

wow!  after 20+ years, my first kudo!

Now you're part of the super secret club. Shhh. Keep it on the down low. 😁

Damian - I have been unable to send email for past 2 years and it's a pain to use my i Phone for the task!  Is this a low priority for Hughes?  I also live rural and have no choice but Hughes.  Continuing to not fix the problem on your end should be a discount in the monthly fee.  Please advise WHEN the issue will be fixed!  Thanks

GabeU

@cynthiachef 

You should start a new topic in tech support about the issue you're experiencing.

Hello Cynthiachef:

can you please be a little more specific as to how you are trying to send email?  Are you using Hughesnet webmail or an email client like Microsoft outlook or Macintosh mail?  several of us have experienced this problem and we may be able to help you.

Robert Oder

RobertOder
Junior

We are unable to send outgoing email.  Will not work from Outlook, Macintosh mail, or iPad.Comes in just fine, but for some reason we can not send.  Seems to happen every year in December.  What's up?  I need some help here!

Robert Oder

Temecula, CA