Hughesnet Community

Can not access email from Outlook OR macintosh mail!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertOder
Junior

Can not access email from Outlook OR macintosh mail!

I can NOT log onto the email server with either Microsoft Outlook OR Macintosh email.  What gives?

I have called tech support twice today and they are clueless.  They blame it on my equipment.  This is BS.  I have five different computers here and none of them can get in.  I have done the usual rebooting of gateway/router/etc.  

What is up???

Robert Oder

California

26 REPLIES 26
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They have been having issues with their email provider; they're working on those issues and there hasn't been an ETA, but it's likely that this won't be solved until after the holidays. This issue may or may not be what's impacting you. Replies appear to be slower, likely due to the holidays.  For faster replies, try chat or the phone reps. I know you haven't had any success with the phone reps, so waiting until you here from the reps here may be your best bet. They also have a presence on FB and Twitter -- you could try there, though there are no guarantees you'll hear back right away either.  

@Remy 

@Amanda 

@Damian 

I guess it is time to give up on Hughesnet.

maratsade

Your reaction is reasonable, especially given the frustrations you've encountered, but I hope someone will get back to you and explain what may be going on with your particular email situation. 

If you wish to cancel, this can only be done by calling  866-347-3292.

RobertOder wrote:

I guess it is time to give up on Hughesnet.

there does not appear to be anyone working there these days who has any clue.  i am in a remote location so I dont have any other good options or I would have pitched Hughesnet years ago.  Using a Sprint Cell phone as a hotspot via a Magic Box worked very well in my location up until the time sprint merged with T Mobile.  After that, the great Sprint cell service I used to have here went away.  They reprogrammed that cell to do other things.  So Im stuck with Huge Aircrash for the present...

maratsade

This is why I was hoping a rep on this site would reply to you today. Not sure if they're around, though. Have you tried HN's social media accounts? I believe corporate reps respond there too, same as here. 

So you only have T Mobile for cell phone? I have Verizon and it's not very good at all where I live due to very few towers.  I have to drive 20 minutes to get a good signal from them.  AT&T  is also available but it's even worse than Verizon.  Many remote and not-so-remote areas are shamefully underserved. Edit: I for one am glad that HN provides service where I live; without it, I wouldn't be able to live where I do. 

FrankZimmerman
New Poster

@RobertOder wrote:

I can NOT log onto the email server with either Microsoft Outlook OR Macintosh email.  What gives?

I have called tech support twice today and they are clueless.  They blame it on my equipment.  This is BS.  I have five different computers here and none of them can get in.  I have done the usual rebooting of gateway/router/etc.  

What is up???

Robert Oder

California

maratsade

And your point for quoting the OP is...?

FrankZimmerman wrote:
RobertOder wrote:

What is up???

Robert Oder

California

Hi:

Perhaps Frank is having the same problem?

For the record, I have had continuous difficulties getting my mail using an email client.  This has been going on since March.  It works less than 25% of the time, and it appears thst competent Technical Assistance staff are frequently unavailable.  The phone-in people are of highly limited skills.  One reset my password without asking first.  The other blamed it on my email client, which works perfectly with several other email services.  He simply did not want to help.  This problem occurs accross five different computers at two different sites.  It is not a specific computer or local site problem.

Can anyone state on the record what the Correct settings are these days?  Ports?  SSL yes or no?  IDs?  Are there any technical support staff out there any longer?  

Robert

maratsade

Robert, HN reps are on M-F during business hours. If they haven't provided an answer it may be because the settings have been given before. Just run a search for them and apply them. 

Jdsouth
New Poster

I am having the same issues.. this started early December.. it was fixed for a few weeks then started again.  I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with a very nice tech rep.  However my issue was not fixed.  I was told he would have to get a more senior rep to help.  They are supposed to call in the next few days.  I doubt they will and if they do I'll be at work.  
I did check into Viasat for internet but they do not have as good rating as HN. My only other choice where I live is dial up!

The rep did tell me they were launching a new satellite sometime near March..  I told him that wasn't doing me any good now.  
'This is frustrating.

maratsade

"The rep did tell me they were launching a new satellite sometime near March."

It will be sometime in 2022.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"The rep did tell me they were launching a new satellite sometime near March."

It will be sometime in 2022.

I had a feeling that might be coming, as in the launch date being pushed back.  The pandemic is affecting everything.  

maratsade

Yes, and I wonder if the date may be pushed back even more. 

@GabeU wrote:

I had a feeling that might be coming, as in the launch date being pushed back.  The pandemic is affecting everything.  

BTW, I didn't get a notification about this tag. I'm a notifications pariah. 😉

Nice to hear from Gabe!  Happy New Year!  

I worked for many years in Engineering at Hughes Aircraft in El Segundo, in the Highbay in S1, where spacecfaft are assembled.  It is always good news when a bird actually makes it into space.  Sometimes, it felt like a miracle.  As a former Hughes engineer, I feel qualified to address these issues on a technical level.

While it will be a good thing for HughesNet, I seriously doubt the launching of another spacecraft will have much to  much to do with solving the current problem.  I suspect the (software) access ports, where email data files enter and exit the email server, are congested, due to the general world-wide increase in online data activity resultant from work-at-home and school-at-home.  This causing problems at the server and many requests to log into the server end up being denied.  It is a semi-intermittent problem.  This is a land-based, not a space-based problem.  

I would GREATLY appreiate it if someone from Hughes Tech Support would weigh in on this discussion.  Specifically, what are the data ports you suggest we use these days when setting up email clients?  Can you expand the system and add some ports?  Should we use SSL or not?  Are there any back up server addresses available?  Please answer me.  I am clearly not the only one having this problem and this has been going on long enough.

Robert

maratsade

"Specifically, what are the data ports you suggest we use these days when setting up email clients? "

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/I-can-t-seem-to-send-any-emails/m-p/129377/highlight...

For the record, I am using port 587 for outgoing email, no SSL.  This works sometimes.  When I activate SSL it NEVER works.  For incoming, I use port 110, again, no SSL.  This works sometimes.  When I activate SSL it NEVER works.  I can see no rational explanation for what days/hours these settings (with no SSL) fail.  Although I would like to say that this fails during obvious high traffic hours, there is no rhyme or reason to dates/times of failures.  Perhaps the entire network world wide uses the same server facility?

The string of info that somebody just sent me is two months old.  Can Tech Support please state the currently recommended settings?

I use 

maratsade

The link "somebody" sent you is the latest info -- they may not have anything else, but if they do, I hope they post it here, as it seems you will not listen to "somebody."

Thank you, Maratsade.

I can't access email from my pc (error message) or my Mac mail.  Several months ago, I started having problems with sent emails from one of three hughesnet email accounts on my Mac (I haven't used email on the pc for a year). I used Liz's advice to change the outgoing port from 25.  The problem seemed to resolve for awhile but then I could only send email out with one of three hughesnet emails, still receiving email for all three accounts.  

Last week I found the thread that maratsade posted in this thread, but couldn't get anything to work.  The Mac server settings stopped saving new inputs and can't verify my account/password. I tried the suggestion from Liz to reset my password, but could not on my primary email account, so I thought it must be the problem. I called hughesnet on saturday and the tech person changed my password, verified I could use Hughesnet webmail, and suggested I try changing my outgoing account name from hughes.net to smtp.hughes.net.  This took all accounts offline.  I can't email out on any account and now I don't receive email from the account with the new password. He was not able to help me further, and told me I need to contact Apple. When I tried to reset my password again yesterday, I could not.  I spoke to a hughesnet tech person tonight, but of course the password change function was working.  I asked for help with my Mac mail and he said there was no way he could help because it isn't a hughesnet problem.  I told him I also can't access email on my pc laptop, but again, he couldn't help me. Both tech people told me hughesnet had made changes to the email system last fall. I can email out and receive from all three hughesnet webmail accounts.

I would gladly call apple for assistance, but I spent 2 1/2 hours with them when I first switched to apple and they couldn't help me.  I had already tried Hughesnet two times for help and they couldn't help.  The third try with hughesnet I lucked out with a delightful man that had a friend with a Mac and they were able to get me up and running.  I also use Protonmail, but could not send email out for a day with them the last week in December.

maratsade

That's a big mess, HDD.  Several people have posted here about  having trouble with email access; the  issues may have started when HN upgraded the email system (or changed providers...not sure exactly which one it was).  My understanding is HN is working on the issues and @Liz will update the community when the email admins give her an update. 

Can you access your email if you go directly to it via the My Email link here?