Can not connect multiple devices to internet at same time

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwescott92
Freshman

Can not connect multiple devices to internet at same time

I have 2 kindle fire tablets and one desktop computer. I keep the desktop turned off when I'm not using it because I lose internet connectivity on one of the tablets when the desktop is on. Now I am trying to setup an Amazon Echo and when it tries to connect, I lose connectivity on Fire tablet. Is this a router issue or is it about satellite internet? I have a Netgear N300 router. Hoping the professors will respond.

6 REPLIES 6
gokartergo24
Tutor

Router issue.. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also curiuos if you have the HT2000W modem, if yes then why use the N300? That is a very basic router and probably your issue like gokartergo24 says.

I have a Hughesnet supplied HT 1100 modem. Any suggestions for a router? Thank you for your help.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

Also curiuos if you have the HT2000W modem, if yes then why use the N300? That is a very basic router and probably your issue like gokartergo24 says.

It's a basic router, but the one I'm presently using (so I can tally my data usage) is a Netgear WNR2000v4, which is an N300.  I have no issues with a laptop, notebook and smartphone connected via WiFi at the same time, and while having my desktop connected via LAN cable at the same time.  

With this said, I have no clue as to what could be causing the issue the OP is having.  

Amanda

Hi cwescott2

Can't be sure, but it sounds like a local IP address conflict. Do you know how to check your tablets' and desktop's IP address settings? They should be set to automatically detect. May be good to check the router settings too.

~Amanda

I do not know how to check my settings. A couple people here mentioned it might be my router causing this.