Can't Download from Microsoft

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrG
New Poster

Can't Download from Microsoft

Windows updates can take days to download. The Microsoft Update Catalog fails after a few minutes. I tried downloading the 1703 iso
with the Media Creation Tool. It went for 24hrs at 0% before I stopped it. I downloaded a third party app that downloads the isos (from Microsoft). It finished in less than thirty minutes. I can download Linux isos with no problem. I have good speed on all other downloads.
I can connect wirelessly with a Straighttalk hotspot and have no problems on the very same computer. It has got to be something with
Hughesnet. I have talked with tech support three times. They say my service is fine, and it is! It just won't work with Microsoft. Anybody got a clue what it could be?

12 REPLIES 12
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

MrG,

Have you tried disabling Web-Acceleration to see if that is causing an issue?

1: Visit the link below that applies to your modem to access the advanced page.
1a: HT1100 Modem  - http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=1
1b: HT2000w Modem - http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary
2: Click on Web Acceleration on the left hand side.
3: Click on "Control"
4a: On the HT1100 modem, remove the checkmark, and wait a few moments for it to take effect, you should now have a statecode of 30.2.2 stating that "Web Acceleration has been disabled"
4b: Oh the HT2000w modem, click the green button "Web Acceleration Enabled" it should change to orange and now say, "Web Acceleration Disabled"
5: Try to do what you was doing after a few minutes.

Note: When the modem reboots for any reason, it will re-enable the Web Acceleration, it is also advised not to disable it for prolonged periods of time.

Disabling web acceleration did make a slight difference on Microsoft Update Catalog. It usually will download a few kilobytes and then stop. This time it kept downloading, but extremely slow. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the modem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MrG wrote:

Disabling web acceleration did make a slight difference on Microsoft Update Catalog. It usually will download a few kilobytes and then stop. This time it kept downloading, but extremely slow. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the modem.

If it was a problem with the modem, you'd be having problems no matter what site you went to or where you downloaded from.  And disabling web acceleration and that making it work a little better only suggests that Microsoft's servers are sensitive to Hughesnet's web acceleration, not that there is any problem with the modem.  

GabeU

@MrG

The results.  Directly from Microsoft I was able to download the Windows 10 64 bit ISO, which was 3.38GB in size, in approximately ten minutes.  This was without turning the web acceleration off or adjusting anything at all.  See below....

Download StartDownload StartDownload EndDownload End

Now, let me say that I don't know if this has anything to do with Gen5 or not.  I do remember that the same download with Gen4 went well, but at other times trying to update Windows when I had Gen4 was abysmally slow.  Again, the updates so far with Gen5 have been good, but because it's such a small number of updates since upgrading to Gen5, I can't say for sure it's because of that.   It's possible the updates were just done at good times.  

With all of that said, the full out speed of downloads with Gen5, including this one, are amazingly fast for me.  3.38GB in ten minutes.  SHEESH!!!!  The same download with my Gen4 would have taken about 17 minutes, with my legacy plan at it's highest speed of 1.6Mbps over five hours, and eight and a half days on dialup.  LOL.  Gotta love Gen5!  🙂

Thank you GabeU. I think you have convinced me to upgrade to Gen 5.

But, it would really be nice to know what is causing this problem. My theory is that it is related to the free upgrade to Windows 10 when the download did not count against your data. I have no idea how that would happen. Problem is I could never get tech support to consider this.

GabeU

@MrG wrote:

Thank you GabeU. I think you have convinced me to upgrade to Gen 5.

But, it would really be nice to know what is causing this problem. My theory is that it is related to the free upgrade to Windows 10 when the download did not count against your data. I have no idea how that would happen. Problem is I could never get tech support to consider this.

At this point, I'm willing to believe that anything is possible.  🙂

I, unfortunately, still had my legacy plan when Windows 10 came out, so I had to save up the free tokens then upgrade during the download zone.  I didn't upgrade to Gen4 until many months later.  

I'm glad to read that Gen5's speed is currently working as advertised. One of the reasons I'm not going to do the upgrade is because of the fear that it will only be a matter of time before Hugesnet over books the Gen5 satellite and I'll be back to where I'm at now with Gen4 - throttling the bandwidth to accommodate customer saturation.  As most of us are well aware we can't even stream in standard definition with Gen4 because there isn't enough bandwidth to go around.  Yet we all pay for data plans that have the capability of doing so if it weren't for the fact that we get throttled everytime we try to stream.  Keep in mind, I pay for a 15 Mbps speed and can't even get 17 percent of that speed to stream a program that only requires 2 Mbps.  Again, reason being is Hugesnet oversells the capacity of its satellites. So for you folks that are jumping on board the Gen5 bandwagon it will be interesting to hear back what kind of speed you're getting one year from now after they load the satellite down with more customers than it's designed to accommodate.  Just like we now experience with Gen4  you'll be hearing the same excuses.  Again it only takes 2 Mpbs to adequately download a SD program and only 5 to get HD. So if you have a data plan that should give you up to 15 Mbps ask yourself why you can't even get 17 percent of your paid plan to stream a SD program without frequent buffering. The answer one more time is overbooking which forces throttling.  I ask any of the moderators to chime in here I would welcome a debate on this issue. 

GabeU

@skybox

Unless one has the Ultra plan for the $99, there is EVERY reason to upgrade to Gen5.  

1.  Considerably higher speed, both up and down, which will most likely not begin to be impacted by congestion during peak usage times for quite some time, and I'd put money on it that it will be quite a bit longer than a year.  

2.  Considerably higher FAP speeds, even being enough to stream in lower def.

3.  More data for less money.

4.  Built in WiFi, if that applies to a customer.   

Again, unless one has the Ultra plan for the $99 price, there is practically no reason to NOT upgrade. 

I do have the ultra plan and just the mere fact that you acknowledge that satellite saturation will happen like Gen4 is validation of the problem. Throttling in any form is illegal. When a customer pays for a certain speed and most times they can't even get 17 percent of that speed is telling.  Gen5 appears promising but Hugesnet does not have a good track record and is known for its unscrupulous sales practices. What they should tell new customers is this. We can sell you a 15 Mbps speed but most of the time because we oversell the satellite's capacity you won't receive enough of that bandwidth to even stream a standard definition program which only requires 17 percent of that speed.  I would like to see this guarantee from Hugesnet with respect to Gen5: "Except for very unusual circumstances, such as equipment malfunctions, we guarantee that you'll always have the necessary bandwidth to stream in DVD quality' providing you have not exceeded your data allowance."  Do you think Hugesnet would stand behind their product this way? 

GabeU

@skybox

If you have an issue, please create a new post and describe the issue in the post.  You can do so by selecting the applicable community, then clicking the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right.  

If you are simply here to complain, please stop.  

Another point I forgot to mention, to upgrade the $99 dollars is only good for one year. After that year,  a 50g plan cost close to 140 dollars a month with taxes. Second, the upgrade also requires a 24 month commitment.  In other words, they make sure you can't cancel after 12 months so they can get that extra 40 dollars a month for at least 12 months. Also don't forget the $99 dollar installation charge for those sell under a prior commitment and once you upgrade there is no going back to Gen4. 

GabeU

@MrG wrote:

Windows updates can take days to download. The Microsoft Update Catalog fails after a few minutes. I tried downloading the 1703 iso
with the Media Creation Tool. It went for 24hrs at 0% before I stopped it. I downloaded a third party app that downloads the isos (from Microsoft). It finished in less than thirty minutes. I can download Linux isos with no problem. I have good speed on all other downloads.
I can connect wirelessly with a Straighttalk hotspot and have no problems on the very same computer. It has got to be something with
Hughesnet. I have talked with tech support three times. They say my service is fine, and it is! It just won't work with Microsoft. Anybody got a clue what it could be?

If I'm still up during the Bonus Bytes period one of these nights I'll try downloading the 64bit version of the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft just to see how long it takes.  I almost never use my Bonus Bytes for anything, so I don't mind doing it.  Granted, this will be with Gen5, but it still might be interesting.  I can't guarantee when it will be.   

I downloaded it some time late last year and it went pretty quickly, though I'm fairly certain it was after I was already having slow update problems.  I wanted to have a Windows 10 installation DVD on hand so I could perform a clean install in case anything ever went wrong, and I did need to do that at one point on this desktop.  From the looks of my update history it was in December(my first update was from October, but installed on December 16th).  Being that the two computers on which I have W10 installed are already activated and logged by Microsoft, I am able to perform a clean install and have them activate with no problem.  Gotta love digital licenses!  LOL.