Can't WIFI call or Zoom or watch TV?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shucavage
New Poster

Can't WIFI call or Zoom or watch TV?

I recently bought a cabin in a small community embedded in a large patch of national forest. Virtually no cell reception. Does have some CenturyLink DSL coming in over old copper telephone line (like 1.2MB down, .2 up). CenturyLink is spotty, particularly when lots of people are using it. Bought Hughesnet hoping to achieve the 25/3, allowing me to work from the cabin.

What I found is:

Wifi calling doesn’t work. They can’t hear me, though I can hear them fine. Wifi calling does work on the CenturyLink DSL

Zoom meetings: I can see them fine; their view of me is very choppy even going through cable directly to Hugesnet modem (not WIFI). They tell me I start out OK but degrades in a few seconds. CenturyLink works fine sometimes but again can be spotty.

We tried watching TV through Hughesnet modem WIFI. Ending up stopping and buffering so much we couldn’t do it.

Made 3 calls to Hughsnet technical help (difficult when they couldn’t hear me). They set up dedicated channel for wifi and did something else but it hasn’t worked.

Last guy told me it was a “latency” problem. Yet latency should work both ways? On zoom I can see them fine so download works. On WIFI calling I can here them but they can’t hear me. Looks to me like an upload problem?

I will be there this weekend; I think I have till Monday to cancel. I bought equipment outright (I had faith based on all your advertising). How can we resolve this and see if there is a problem or I must just give up on Hughesnet?

Is this the right place to get actual technical help? Do you work on weekends?

David SAN: [edited to protect privacy]

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

• Wifi calling doesn't work with HN and they don't support it. Do you have HughesNet Voice?
  • Are you a residential or business customer?
  • Latency is high with satellite internet and this puts you out of sync with other people, and this  is why Zoom is not working well. 
  • Not sure what you mean about having until Monday to cancel.  There is no grace period with HughesNet. 

I am a residential customer 

I understand that latency might cause a delay in responses, which I can live with. Prolem was my video was choppy on other end, even though I decreased my camera resolution to 360. My view of them looked really good. If it was a latency problem wouldn't they look choppy to me also? 3Mbs should easily handle zoom.  

maratsade

I think Zoom is reacting to latency issues, since the speed is ample for Zoom. I would suggest that the next time this happens you check to see what the number is next to State Code here:  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

maratsade

BTW, you should edit your SAN number out of your first post.  That's a sensitive account number, and if the HN reps on this site need this info, they will ask you to PM it to them. 

Hi Shucavage,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

So you're telling me that to be able to do my Zoom calls for work and to use Ring through my browser to talk with patients, I have to purchase a voice plan on top of the 50 Gigs I pay for monthly as well? That is the very defintion of a bait and switch. If I'm paying out the nose for 50 Gigs, I should be able to use Zoom and should be able to talk to my patients on Ring without having to buy a voice plan. Broadband is coming through next Spring an I'll gladly pay the cancelation charge to dump this horrendous and dishosest service. 

@MarkG wrote:

Broadband is coming through next Spring an I'll gladly pay the cancelation charge to dump this horrendous and dishosest service. 

The fact that you fail to understand the technical limitations of a service doesn't make it horrendous nor dishonest.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkG 

You've made a couple of posts, that makes it sound like you aren't getting the bandwidth you're expecting.  I think it would be best for you to start a new thread following the instructions for posting speed test results.  That way, you can get some help specific for your case. 

I do make zoom calls and have been able to use video, though I do generally dial in over the phone for audio.  There are many variables that affect the performance you are getting, and following the instructions here, will get you help, but ranting on an existing thread likely won't.

GabeU

@Shucavage 

The video problem likely has to do with a combination of the high latency and congestion on the system.  Because so many people are online and using various video type services, it's taxing the system considerably, which is causing congestion.  If it was just one or the other your video calling would likely work without issue, but the combination of the two negatively affects it.  And no, it wouldn't necessarily be the same experience on both ends, as "your half" of the equation doesn't necessarily affect them in the same way it does you, and vice versa.  

Though I don't if it will help Zoom, you can also try turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  

Regarding the following statement... "I will be there this weekend; I think I have till Monday to cancel.", HughesNet doesn't offer a trial period.  The 24 month commitment is in effect the instant the service goes live.  

Yes, this is the right place to get help, but there may not be much they can do to ensure that video conferencing, or streaming, works without buffering.  If your HughesNet is presently on at your cabin, they can likely run remote diagnostics to see if anything's amiss.  However, the reps here do not work during the weekends.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  

Regarding your issue with WiFi calling, I'll second maratsade.  Whether people can get it to work can vary, but HughesNet doesn't support it.   HughesNet does offer their own Voice Service, however.  

Again seconding maratsade, you should edit your SAN out of your post.  You can do so by clicking on the three vertical dots to the upper right of the message body and clicking on "Edit Message".

@Liz @Damian @Remy 

@GabeU wrote:

Because so many people are online and using various video type services, it's taxing the system considerably, which is causing congestion. 

That is likely the bulk of the issue you are seeing.  Zoom actually tolerates latency quite well in my experience.  I have to video zoom with folks all over the planet and some areas have latency much higher than you'll typically experience on Hughesnet, and aside from the delay, it works as long as they have the bandwidth.  Since you are seeing them fine, it's likely not latency or jitter, but a lack of bandwidth available for upload, most likely caused by the system being at capacity and congested. 

Along with the other suggestions, if you get voice service, you can try dialing into the Zoom over the voice line, so you don't have to send/receive audio over the internet as well.  Also, under video settings make sure "Enable HD" is off.

Liz

Good morning Shucavage,

Thanks for posting. I hope all the suggestions from the community have helped. Do you still have any concerns when you use the HughesNet system when you're there? When I initially tried to run diagnostics it was on a weekday, so unsurprisingly I couldn't communicate with the modem. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!