cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craigmcdonald22
Freshman

Can't connect Xbox 360 to HT2000W

hey folks,
So I recently moved to an area where satellite Internet is the only option. I went with hughesnet. I'm not super tech savvy at all, so this is baffling to me, but I have a HT2000W router (or modem, not sure what the difference is), and am having MTU error messages every time I try to get on xbox live. My 360 is able to connect to the network, and very rarely from the network to the Internet, but never from the Internet to xbox live. Does anyone out there who's had hughesnet or experience with them know what the problem is? And/or how to get around it? I've tried the wireless and hard-line option, but both are giving me the same error messages, and ultimately keeping me from being able to get on live. Any help would be appreciated. Need the help of a tech wizard who can explain solutions to me like they're explaining something to a 4 year old. Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

All we would like to do is update the files/games we currently have. We do know about and understand the high ping rate for online gaming.

@rest066c

Couldn't hurt going the cat5 (ethernet) route if you can, since it takes any possible wifi incompatibility variables such as mode (a/n/ac, etc.) out of the equation. I'm getting great speeds on my 360 going direct. Pulled a 6.5GB game down in ~20 minutes flat just the other day!

If you prefer to experiment with different connections, try varying the modes, bandwidths and channels until you get something that works well. If you have a wifi scanner on your computer that tells you who else is using the channels in the area, that could be a bonus, since it would help debug your setup and help you avoid interference from someone else; e.g., 802.11ac uses up to 4 full wifi channels for max bandwidth/speed that it needs on the HT2000W.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I just got Hughesnet today and I'm getting the MTU error on my 360. I have it connected directly to the modem via Ethernet, I tried setting up the port forwarding per the 360 page, I tried turning uPnP off, tried resetting the 360 network settings back to factory default.

Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this?

Would an XBox One work any better?

Forget about the port forwarding. It won't work on the 360.

Plus, because of that, the "test" always gives you a semi-fail result. Ignore it. As long as it thinks it can get to the internet, and you can physically login to XBox Live, it's fine.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Except that it's not letting me log in to XBox Live. It just keeps saying there's a connection problem.

It might say that right after you set it and it tries to log in. Especaially right now, since I think XBL is having problems (I'm even having problems signing in). Try these using wired mode (ethernet, not wifi):

Basic Settings:
I use a static IP: Manual
Address: 192.168.42.105 (your last octet might be different, but first 3 should be similar).
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.42.1 (Router)
DNS: Manual
Primary: 192.168.0.1 (Modem)
Secondary: 8.8.8.8 (Google)

Additonal Settings:
PPoE - all not set
Advanced - all not set

It might give you a hassle about the last step, but like I said, ignore it. As long as it goes from XBox->Network->Internet, it's fine. Just go to the Network Statistics and do the remaining testing from there.

I already had it connected via ethernet, but I think the problem was with XBL since it connected fine tonight without making any changes. 

Thanks for the help!

I have this same issue. These steps did not correct the problem. 😞