Can't make use of bonus data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CubeOfWater
Freshman

Can't make use of bonus data

Been with HughesNet for under a year and everything was perfectly fine right up till the beginning of this year. In the past I've been able to download larger files with the bonus data with no issues but now I can't. It is so slow to the point where it might as well not even be there. I've tried rebooting the modem and changing around DNS servers but none of that has made any difference. If someone has any insight or can help with why my service has been degrading overtime I would appreicate it.

22 REPLIES 22
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Do you have speed results from Testmy.net?

What's the number next to State Code when you go to this page? http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Speed tests are always just fine and often above 25mbs and the state code is the normal 24.1.1 since I'm not in the bonus data time anymore. The problem has only been recently and when trying to use the bonus data, I can hardly get anything to download even though speed tests would indicate otherwise.
maratsade

Right, that code means your speed is throttled. 

What I was asking was what the code is when you're using the bonus data. 

From what I can see, it has been 0.0.0
maratsade

0.0.0 means everything's fine with the system. I wonder if you're experiencing congestion (more people in your beam using the bonus hours, which would clog the system). 

It's been totally fine till a few weeks ago, maybe more people got hooked up with HughesNet in the area and now it's being overwhelmed like you said but it's for sure almost unusable and that really sucks since I rely on that data for larger downloads.

maratsade

Yeah, that totally stinks. This is just an impression, but I think that more people are taking advantage of bonus time data.  Have you tested during the entire bonus time? Is it always bad, from 2 am to 8 am?

I really don't know what, if anything, you can do about this.  

When you're not throttled, how do things work during the anytime data hours?

Edit: maybe a mod will get involved and will check your system and see if they see anything. 

During bonus time it is pretty much entirely slowed down for the whole duration, there sometimes are very small windows where it picks up speed and then slows right back down. The same thing happens with normal data as well, it's been perfectly fine for streaming stuff but when it comes to downloading, it just doesn't perform well at all.

maratsade

You can stream videos (edit: which is a form of downloading) but not download files?  How weird!

Netflix and YouTube work all day long, data or no data. Plex used to work but now it doesn't at all, the app will load and all the thumbnails load but videos can't play though that could be something wrong with Plex idk. I just downloaded a small file through Firefox and that seemed to be ok even with throttled speed. The big issues I seem to have are downloading updates from Microsoft Store on Windows 10/Windows update and downloading from my PS4 with or without data and that's a new problem I haven't had before.

Hi CubeOfWater,

Thank you for the PM. Your diagnostics are fine, so that's good. Are you able to provide details as to which updates/files you're having difficulty downloading during the Bonus Period? 

Also, next time you try to download updates, are you able to try it while directly connected to the modem via LAN cable? I noticed there aren't any devices connected that way.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Just tested it out again, still having issues even while connected via LAN cable. Updates from Microsoft Store, Google Play store and on PS4 are extremely slow and in some cases so slow they stop downloading completely. This is again during bonus data, speed tests are still perfectly fine and streaming is still possible with no problems.

Edit: During certain times outside the bonus period, updates from those services download faster, more steadily and can complete than when on bonus data even though it's throttled vs not.

Good morning CubeOfWater,

Thank you for these updates. I've escalated your case to engineering for their insight. Once I have any news or instructions for you, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hello CubeOfWater,

Thank you for your patience. Engineering is still investigating, but in the meantime, they've suggested disabling IPv6 and changing your wifi settings to WPA2. Here are steps to lead you to the HT2000w wifi settings where the WPA option is located. Please let me know if there's any difference after doing that. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks for the response. Just a few issues with those suggestions. WPA2 is already set and I can't find anyway to turn off IPv6, there use to be options for enabling/disabling it but after a software update,  IPv6 was forced on, the option is no longer there and options for IPv4 are completely gone.

Annotation 2020-03-06 140601.jpgAnnotation 2020-03-06 140602.jpg

Good morning CubeOfWater,

Thanks for this update, good to know that you're already using WPA2. My apologies for not being more clear, you should disable IPv6 on the device you're using to try to download the updates. If using a laptop/PC, try these steps under Option 2: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90033-enable-disable-ipv6-windows.html#option2

After a cursory search, it appears that PS4 doesn't even support IPv6, so the suggestion to disable it doesn't apply. 

-Liz

On Windows things seem to be back to normal, I've been able to download updates just fine during normal hours without disabling IPv6 on the PC. The PS4 is still having issues downloading during the bonus period but has less troubles downloading when outside of it, downloads actually go faster on it when I'm not in bonus period even though it is throttled which doesn't make much sense, I'll keep trying.

I appreciate this update, thank you!

-Liz

Hi CubeOfWater,

Just following up with you: no word on whether engineering did something on our end a few weeks ago that may have improved your service. In any case, I hope things have still been normal for you lately (at least as normal as can be these days).

-Liz

No worries, haven't tested the PS4 for quite a while so unsure if it is still having download issues during bonus period but with the increased traffic on your system from so many people staying home, I can't really imagine it going any better. Windows updates are still working fine though, at least during the day.