Can't stream on any service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avidreader7
New Poster

Can't stream on any service

I've always been able to stream without any problems - sometimes videos would buffer, but at least they would play. Suddenly, though, as of Thursday, April 2nd, I can't stream at all. I can't even get the Netflix page to load on my computer - it times out. I can load the Amazon Prime Video page, but can't even get it to try to load a video. Disney Plus won't load at all. I can't even watch the videos people share on Facebook.

I have called the company about this twice. The first time, they forwarded me to a Home Tech Support company, who told me it was most likely my HughesNet router. I have an old Gen 4 model, and he said I'd probably have to be upgraded to a newer Gen 5 model. I called HughesNet back to tell them this, and to set up getting a new router shipped to me. But they no longer have my router in stock, so they'd have to upgrade me to Gen 5. Which would be fine, but they want to put me on a new two year contract, and I refuse to do that. I'm hoping to move in the next year or less, so a two year contract is a no go for me. I would do a year, but they wouldn't even offer that.

I was very unhappy with the support service I got on the phone. They simply didn't care that I can't stream media on the service that I'm paying over $100 a month for. If I had any other internet options available to me at all where I live, I'd be cancelling right now. Not that they'd care.

Anyway. I see on this forum that other people are having the same issues. Is there any way of getting help to get my streaming working again? I've been laid off, and frankly, streaming shows was all that was getting me through it.

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@avidreader7 

There is presently an issue with some sites.  The engineers are aware of it and are working hard to remedy the situation.

Actually, just this afternoon, I was on Facebook and saw that videos were suddenly playing on there, so I checked out Facebook and Amazon's Prime Video, and they're both working again! I hope they stay on, because I was very happy to have streaming back.

maratsade

I hope they stay too, but since it's not really HughesNet related, don't be surprised if they stop again. 

avidreader7 wrote:

Actually, just this afternoon, I was on Facebook and saw that videos were suddenly playing on there, so I checked out Facebook and Amazon's Prime Video, and they're both working again! I hope they stay on, because I was very happy to have streaming back.

Actually,  i have not seen yet,  that it was not Hughesnet related.  They haven't updated yet about the ongoing and know issue. 

maratsade

You can see it in other ways, by running tracerts and seeing that Level3 (CenturyLink) is down along the pathway form one server to the destination.

CenturyLink customers are experiencing complete outages tho, not just with streaming services and some internet sites. The op didn't say his internet was down completely,  but that streaming services were not working. And HN is supposedly working on that said issue and hasn't updated info regarding it yet.  So it is unknown if it is an issue with HN honestly. 

maratsade

Robin, there's CenturyLink the ISP (and yes, their customers are having a bit of an issue at the moment), and CenturyLink the backbone provider for ISPs.  The latter has been experiencing issues for months if not longer, and they're affecting the pathways between servers.  And since they provide the backbone for most ISPs in the country, it's pretty effed up.  @MarkJFine has this kind of network knowledge and has discussed this problem ad nauseam. 

I'm not denying there may be issues with HughesNet's network, but the issues we subscribers are experiencing can be traced mostly to CenturyLink the backbone provider.

Hello avidreader7,

Thank you for letting us know streaming works for you again. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to post again in the community.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!