cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation fee

Cancellation fee

I signed up for Hughesnet through my satellite television provider. I never spoke to a Hughesnet representative until the day of installation. We have had service for six months and the service has always been slow or non-existant. We have tried numerous times to resolve the issue and have been referred to Home Tech Support several times. We are to the point of cancelling service but were just told we are under contract (which is something our satellite TV provider did not tell us). Is there a way to get the cancellation fee waived?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Cancellation fee

call and demand to talk to account management, we are in the process of trying to cancel too and they seem to be the only area that can handle that, i was just told tonight that they had just closed when the 3rd representative i had talked to this evening after 40 minutes on the phone tried to send me there..... i was told they are open 7am to 12am EST 1-866-347-3292

We spent two hours on the phone earlier tonight. They claim that we only complained about service three out of the six months so that is not enough to support that they have bad service (50% is still failing in my book). Also they want me to prove that my satellite TV provider failed to tell me about the contract. I still hope that someone can help me on here.
Freshman

You.signed the contract at installation.

There is a $400 ETF that is prorated as you have service.

They will need the serial number off your modem or one of your trouble ticket numbers to pull up your account. My service had issues and I complained here and they fixed them. There are a few account representatives here on this forum during regular working hours.
Alum

Hi rasmith,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I see that you called in and were able to successfully cancel your service after a supervisor approved waiving half of your early termination fee. We're sorry to see you go but hopefully everything goes well with your next ISP.

- Chris

I feel like I need to go back and add some information to this post. During installation, i told the tech that all of our devices were wireless and didn't have the capability of being hardwired (no ethernet ports). He told me that was no problem. But right away we couldn't connect. We were told that our router must be bad (though it worked fine through our previous ISP) so we purchased a new router. Again we couldn't connect. Hughesnet and Home Tech Support could not trouble shoot the problem so it must be a bad router again. We contacted the router manufacturer's Tech support and were told right away that with a new ISP we probably didn't have the new IP address set up correctly. Sure enough that was the problem (shouldn't all tech support know this?). And every connection problem we ever had, Hughesnet always blamed our router. BTW, it works fine with our new ISP.

I don't know the exact date but I called in to complain that my credit card was being charged the same day that the invoice was generated (even though the invoice said that it wasn't due for 10 days). I was told that they could change it so that I would receive an email 10 days before my credit card was charged so that I would have time to review the invoice (but what they actually meant was I was going to get an email saying that in 10 days an invoice would be generated and my card would still be charged on the invoice date so I consequently cancelled autopay). During that same phone call I mentioned Hughesnet is very overpriced for the quality of the service and I was given a $120 credit to my account. I have yet to see this credit.

When I cancelled service, I requested that the status of the ETF be escalated to see if it could be waived 100%. The next day, I received an email confirming that service had been cancelled and that my final invoice had been generated. I went online and it showed that my account had a zero balance so I assumed that the entire ETF had been waived.

On December 2, I called because I had not received any information about returning the equipment. I was told that a box with instructions would be sent out and my account was PAID IN FULL. On December 5, I get another email stating that an invoice has been generated. I immediately checked and again it showed a zero balance due. A few days later I noticed my credit card had been charged (even though I had cancelled autopay). When I called Hughesnet to question the charge, I was told that the representative I spoke to on December 2 would have been correct in telling me I had a zero balance because the invoice had not been generated yet. However the very next thing i was told was that a credit of $162.50 for half of the ETF had been posted on 11/12 when I cancelled (so i wouldn't have had a zero balance on 12/2). Apparently they can't even keep their story straight for 10 seconds. I also asked about the service I had prepaid for and didn't receive. Hughesnet approved a refund of $45.99 for unused service but it will take 45 days to process since I don't have a credit card on file. (Wait...If I don't have a credit card on file, how did you charge it just a few days ago???)

The way I see it is Hughesnet owes me $165.99 ($120 credit for overpriced, poor service and $45.99 refund for services not rendered). Give me back the $162.50 that was unauthorized and let's call it even.
Alum

Hi rasmith,

The 162.50 seems to have already been disputed by your bank. That charge has been reversed and is now a balance on your account. Was this done by you?

- Chris