Cancelling

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimB
New Poster

Cancelling

We received a call from one of your agents last night to thank us for doing your survey. We had been planning to call you because of our dissatisfaction with the service. We've already upgraded speeds from 65 to 81 dollars a month and still can't watch two movies without going through our data. Not to mention we can't watch anything on our HULU account without constant bufferring. This has been an ongoing problem for four months now and your agent specified that we needed to post a comment here in order to cancel, which I understand we'd have to do over the phone anyway. I shall be calling later in the day. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Jay

TimB, 

This Community is primarily used to provide technical support to HughesNet customers and for HughesNet customers to talk to and assist each other. You should not come here to cancel your service and I apologize if you were advised to do that. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are considering canceling your service and I would like to help you with your service issues before it comes to that. After taking a closer look at your account, it seems that the primary issue that you are having is data management. There are some great tips on this Community to help mitigate some of the data usage problems that you are experiencing, https://hninfo.us/datatips. Utilizing these tips should help you better manage your data and help prevent you from exceeding your monthly data allowance. 

Thank you,

Jay

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TimB

With regard to the buffering, you may need to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver.

Please keep in mind, though, that the Video Data Saver is designed to save data while streaming by throttling the service speed to such that is amenable to streaming in 480p, but not much higher.  Turning the VDS off will stop the aforementioned speed throttling while streaming, but if the result is streaming in a higher definition, you will, of course, use more data.  Going by Netflix's data amounts, streaming in HD uses around 3GB per hour, SD around 700MB per hour, and LD around 300MB per hour.  Ultra HD uses around 7GB per hour.  I can't find definitive amounts for Hulu, though.     

With the 20GB plan, which from the sound of the price may be what you have, watching three two-hour HD movies would use nearly all of your Service Plan data for the month.  And that's ONLY the movies.  Everything you do online uses data, so being able to watch three two-hour HD movies on a 20GB plan is more theoretical than realistic.  

Because of the data restrictions, HughesNet isn't really made for cord cutting.  

Jay

TimB, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jay