Cannot backup iPhones or iPads

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
birchbay
New Poster

Cannot backup iPhones or iPads

My wife and I have not been able to back up our iPhones or iPads for going on 2 months.  I have attempted to contact tech support by both email and phone - NO RESPONSE by either. The iPhones and iPads backup quickly when attached to the University or the City internets.  The problem is, we are in a forced 'Work at Home'

13 REPLIES 13
MarkJFine
Professor

Recommend you change backing up your devices by syncing to a local computer.

It's convenient to back up to iCloud, but on satellite it's going to a) use a lot of data, and b) be painfully slow because of the interactions required. Plus, connections to most cloud systems have been clogged during the pandemic, so that's not helping either.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

My iPhones and iPads backed up perfectly until Hughes decided to NOTreduce the speed of people when they went over their maximum data usage!  I am a researcher at a university medical center and my wife is an accounting supervisor for a major city, both on the west coast.. My wife also has been given the responsibility of being the controler on the city CoVid Emergency Response Team.  We both need access to our work networks, 24 hours a day!  Yet, Hughes seems to believe that the advertised speed of 25 MBPS dropping to 0.4 MBPS is perfectly all right.  NOT  If people want to use the internet to stream videos while they are staying at home or quarentined, then they should be paying for usage and Hughes should be controlling the numbe of people they are servicing.  I resent like **bleep** the fact that my wife and I need to be at the office all day and many times at night because we do not have the internet access we paid for!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@birchbay wrote:

If people want to use the internet to stream videos while they are staying at home or quarentined, then they should be paying for usage and Hughes should be controlling the numbe of people they are servicing.   

It doesn't matter what HughesNet does.  An incredible, unforseen increase in traffic is going to negatively affect the system, no mater what they try to do.  There's no way to plan for something like this.  

Really?  You have made a great case for why net neutrality is a really stupid idea.  Putting the public at risk by making emergency services and medical research compete with videao games and streaming is one of the most absurd ideas that I have ever heard!

Moreover, there are numerous ways to control intenet traffic.First and foremost, Hughes should not be giving equal weight to those that have used up their data limits with those that have not used up their data limits. Second, Hughes could prioritize sources (oops, net neutrality again). 

I have used the internet since it was first made public; what has become clear is that the internet is becoming more and more useless.  Go ahead and make excuses for Hughes, it is your life that you are putting at risk.  As for me, I WILL be contacting the state ________ general as soon as the CoVid-19 risk level starts declining.  I am sure that he will be quite interested in the 459 KBPS that I am getting versus the 25 MBPS that Hughes advertises.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ok, just going to be a bit blunt here...

1: Hughesnet is a commercial company that provides "public", "comercial" and "enterprise" internet access.
2: Regardless of profession, you wont get special treatment on consumer, nor basic business service plans.
3: Everyone has the right to use their service as they wish to do so.  Sorry, but that kid next door playing a game might, at most, be requesting 250Kbps to stay in sync with the other players, they aren't blasting away requesting 25Mbps.  
4: Hughesnet HAS prioritized things to assist in the best way possible, streaming services, game services, and cloud services is being prioritized very differently right now.
5: Prioritizing cloud services for backup just isn't one of them, it's bandwidth intensive and might impact someone getting medical advice in a video conference call with a doctor. (Guess that skipped your mind)
6: Hughesnet, and most likely Steam (one of the larger online gaming services) have prioritized game traffic, want proof?  Here you go, trying to download a 50GB game, 6 day ETA right now.
You can see where speeds tank at some very specific hours, hours that tend to be associated with online schooling, or business use, and not gaming.  The majority of that traffic is a game download.
Capture.PNG

Around 11:00AM is start of lunch hours, and 2:00PM tends to be the end of lunch hours, then around 6:00PM most workers start to head home.  Note that the download speed is throttled down, and back up, and probably also being adjusted for the individual beams total bandwidth that is available.

Make sure when you complain to your local AG, that you also explain that a beam is limited to X capacity, and that users may use upto Y capacity, and that because there are far more people on the system, there is less of the X capacity to around at once.  Also, make sure you explain to your AG, that others, who are also working in medical fields, teaching fields, or trying to get their children through schooling with online classes need that little bit of extra bandwidth that was relaxed after exhausting their data allowance as well.

You sir, are an entitled person and using your profession as an excuse, yet ignoring the millions of others that have a profession that is just as important.  Sorry, the world doesn't cater to you.

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE : Bravo.

"You sir, are an entitled person and using your profession as an excuse, yet ignoring the millions of others that have a profession that is just as important.  Sorry, the world doesn't cater to you."

Yes Siree, I certainly am entitled.  I provide medical care, usually 60 - 80 hours per week but lately over 100 hours per week and since I am not hourly, I do not get paid overtime.  Yess Siree, I really am entitled.  BTW, I am questioning why I devoted my life to saving folks like you. Maybe, I should have gone to work in the corperate environment where I could have gotten rich off the results of my research.

GabeU

@birchbay wrote:

Really?  You have made a great case for why net neutrality is a really stupid idea.  Putting the public at risk by making emergency services and medical research compete with videao games and streaming is one of the most absurd ideas that I have ever heard! 

HughesNet isn't doing anything of the sort.  HughesNet is prioritizing activities, which also includes de-prioritization.  

@birchbay wrote:

Moreover, there are numerous ways to control intenet traffic.First and foremost, Hughes should not be giving equal weight to those that have used up their data limits with those that have not used up their data limits. Second, Hughes could prioritize sources (oops, net neutrality again). 

They aren't giving equal weight to those who have data and those who don't.  As well, and again, HughesNet is prioritizing activities.  

Did you actually do any research about these things before replying?  Apparently not.

"HughesNet is prioritizing activities, which also includes de-prioritization."

Wow, prioritizing includes deprioritization!  PS It is deprioritization and you cannot have an activity that includes a negative of that activity.  You would have flunked any graduate level class you took from me. 🙂  

GabeU

@birchbay wrote:

"HughesNet is prioritizing activities, which also includes de-prioritization."

Wow, prioritizing includes deprioritization!  PS It is deprioritization and you cannot have an activity that includes a negative of that activity.   

1.  Prioritization - deliberately favoring certain online activities.

2.  Deprioritization - deliberately lowering the importance of certiain online activities.

3.  Neither - no deliberate effect either way.

@birchbay wrote:

You would have flunked any graduate level class you took from me. 🙂  

4.  Conceit - excessive appreciation of one's own worth or virtue.

Guys... this is back and forth is starting to get a little out of hand. Let's all stop while we're ahead.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Perhaps this thread is a good candidate for locking? @Liz 

Hi folks,

I appreciate informative conversation, but it's gotten too tense in here so I will lock this thread.

Regarding iOS performance on the HughesNet service, our engineers are already rolling out optimization to certain areas for improved performance. So far, initial testing and feedback have shown positive results, so please be patient with us as we continue to address these concerns nationwide.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!