cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot consistently connect my Android devices

Cannot consistently connect my Android devices

We switched from the "old" Hughes net we've had since 2009 to Gen4 in December 2014. They had the old one throttled down so much at night, we couldn't do anything without restarting the modem and then it was iffy. So, the "upgrade". YaY, I'm finally going to be able to do what I want to do on the internet, where I want to do it and when I want to do it. Boy, was I wrong!! This crap is worse than the old one. And, the installer took my old equipment which I bought and paid for!! Thief! He did tell us though that our theory about them throttling down service to get you to upgrade is correct. I have the same router, same access point, same Android devices and the same desktop computer. We cannot connect more than 3 devices at one time. If I have the desktop on, we're lucky to connect 2. I tried the Symbi software to manage my network and ended up deleting it. First, I thought it was part of the problem but with it gone I'm still having the same issues. Everyday, it told me I was multi-homed, to see solutions. Negative, I live 2.5 miles out a dirt road and I cannot see my closest neighbors rooftop much less share my internet with them. So, I'm on the computer and I want to load my game on my Kindle while the hubs is on his tablet browsing and my daughter is either connected on her phone or laptop. Nope, it sits and spins looking for the IP address forever then tells me the router has rejected my connection request or I can't connect because internet connection is slow. If someone disconnects, I can connect. 3 devices connected at a time, Max! The old system was slower than Moses, but everybody could connect. Even our friends and their friends and their friends. We might wait forever to load something, but we connected. I tried the Symbi software to manage my network and ended up deleting it. First, I thought it was part of the problem but with it gone I'm still having the same issues. Everyday, it told me I was multi-homed. Negative, I live 2.5 miles out a dirt road and I cannot see my closest neighbors rooftop much less share my internet with them. We've called technical support (I hate talking to the little Indian girls reading from a script), had the router and modem "optimized", but still I cannot connect all of my devices. The enthusiasm I had in December on the day of install was quickly gone 2 days later. I'm regretting my decision to upgrade and it kills me to pay for something that work like advertised.
29 REPLIES 29
Assistant Professor

Re: Cannot consistently connect my Android devices

Carrie, do you have QoS enabled on the router? Try disabling it. On some routers it is in the gaming section.
If it is disabled, try the opposite and enable it. No device specific settings, just set the general max download speed to 25Mbps and max upload to 2Mbps. I have mine enabled and this seems to work well.

I'm not sure how to do that as there is no software on my computer for the router. I think I may have to go online to try to make any changes. I will play with it when my data resets to see what I can figure out. Is it odd I don't have software for this not so cheap router?
Assistant Professor

Carrie, you access the router by typing in an address in your browser address bar like 192.168.1.1.
If your router address is set to 192.168.0.1 that is a big problem as it will cause conflicts with the Hughes modem.
What make/model router do you have?

My router home menu when I type in 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar and hit enter. Also many router default username and password is "admin" if you haven't changed it.

Honorary Alumnus

It sounds like you may be using the modem to hand out IP addresses to your devices. It has a limit of 5.
Make sure you have your router set to "use router as DHCP server
Make the address of the router 192.168.1.1
Have it start handing out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.2
Advanced Tutor

I'm thinking along the same lines. The router may be set up in Access Point mode so it's passing along the modem's limited set of IPs, and not its own DHCP IPs. And, of course, the router AP uses up one of those IPs as it's own, leaving one less available for her other devices. If so, she won't be able to reach it unless she identifies the Modem IP it's been assigned.

Run IPCONFIG to confirm. Click START, and then type CMD in the Search Programs and files box. At the command prompt >, type ipconfig and see what the IPV4 and Gateway addresses are. 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

I should add, the router/AP's IP address will likely fall somewhere between the Gateway's address and the computer's assigned IPV4 address. But it's also possible it could be 1 or possibly 2 numbers higher than the computer's IP address. I've seen some APs pick up the highest available address, leaving the modem to dispense the rest to the other connected devices.
Advanced Tutor

And, the installer took my old equipment which I bought and paid for!! Thief! 
There is a bug in HN's upgrade order system that asks the installer to pick up the old gear under the incorrect assumption it was leased rather than purchased. I'm sure you can find out who the installer is and ask him to return your used gear.

That said, there is hardly any market for used modems and radios other than repair/replacement parts. Check Ebay and you'll see what I mean. And there is no advantage in having used gear if you want to get an account. It won't save you from the 24 month contract requirement. I can't write up a non contract account order for someone with used equipment. They're going to get new gear in any event. 

I have a Trendnet TPE-TG44g router.

If I type 192.168.1.1 in my address bar, it says the page can't be displayed.

I ran the IPCONFIG. Under wireless LAN it has autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169.254.194.88 and the default gateway is fe80::280:aeff:fe17:7336%10

I'm reading through Trendnet's site now for how to change the IP.

I had no plans for the modem, just kind of irked me that they took it, LOL.