cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot consistently connect my Android devices

Assistant Professor

Re: Cannot consistently connect my Android devices

You have a switch, very different from a router.

That's why I'm not getting anywhere I guess. I can't find a utility or anything to download for this model. Suggestions?

Assistant Professor

Don't believe you can connect a switch directly the modem and have it work properly. Afraid you are out of luck with that box alone.
You could get a two port router then plug the Trendnet box into it.
Are you wired network only? You may want to consider a wireless router.

For now, you need to connect the computer you want to use directly to the modem.

Hi CmHorses,

Thanks for your post. After reading through and looking at the model of switch you provided, I see that it (being a switch) is not capable of providing a wireless signal. Do you also have a wireless router hooked up to your TrendNet switch? Using multiple methods of routing can really bog down your whole home network and cause all sorts of problems. We'd like to know more before continuing!

Thanks,
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

It sounds like you are due for a new router.
There are some that have very handy features like the ability to track data usage thru the network by device IP.
They are rather expensive new but are available as factory referbs thru Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product...

I have the Engenius ENH210EXT access point and the Trendnet TPE-TG44g switch. These worked perfectly until we upgraded to the HT1100 on the GEN4. We are wireless, just no more than 3 devices at a time
Honorary Alumnus

HT1000/1100 modems have a 5 device limit when acting as DHCP servers.
One is being taken up by your AP, another by the switch ... that leaves 3
Sounds like you need a wireless router. Let it handle the DHCP duties and wireless connections and up to 4 wired devices.

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the info! I was able to reverse search you by your e-mail address you signed up with and located your account. Since 2/17/15, your modem has new software. I am assuming that you've had the issue of connecting multiple devices since you had Gen4 installed in December and only recently reported it on here.

Right now, I can see at least 5 devices already connected which probably includes the switch and wireless point, and like Gwalk said, that's going to take up most of your room.

The message that the connection is too slow is generally attributed to a network setting on Android phones (as an Android user with a 500MB/month plan, I take every chance to get on public WiFi as possible) that can be disabled to bypass that and connect. However, Gwalk's suggestion is the most solid. Gone are the days where multiple devices are needed to get a wireless connection, and to get the most from your Gen4 service, we truly recommend purchasing an all-in-one wireless router. A list of tested routers can be found here, but I am sure our community members can recommend their favorites.

Thank you,
Amanda

I have had trouble since installation. We called and talked to technical support (the satellites were down) so we were sent to billing. We got disconnected on that call and we haven't received a call back until today a lady called just to see if I needed anything. On the 17th, I reinstalled the modem to see if that would make a difference. Yesterday, I reinstalled the Engenius Access Point. We had everything connected at one time but that was with an open network, no security. Adding the security to the network, put us back to limited connections. I'm not buying another piece of equipment to get this thing to work properly. It worked fine with the old Hughesnet up until the end. I wish I had been told by the installer that there could be an issue with my switch and access point. He didn't even try to sell me a router at an outrageous price like many people have reported. He checked to see that he could connect on his phone and that was it. I'm still not decided on whether I'm keeping GEN4 or not.
Honorary Alumnus

Well the fact is ... Hughes doesn't DO NETWORKING  they are an ISP. They sell you a internet connection. Their system  and responsibility  really ends at the modems LAN port.
How could you expect Hughes to provide networking support for every piece of access point, router or switch made by all the different manufactures both present and past including equipment that is not even supported by its manufacturer anymore.
That is just not do-able.
As for the "installer" .. those are not Hughes Employees. They are subcontractors.
Many hardly know "lefty, losee, rightly tighty" let alone anything about computers or heaven forbid Networking.

The burden of "sharing/multiplying" a Hughes connection is on the subscriber. There are simply too many variables is a given users environment.