cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot even stream ESPN + for loading interruptions

New Poster

Cannot even stream ESPN + for loading interruptions

Cannot even stream ESPN plus to watch the UFC fights - have to use the hotspot on my verizon cell phone. The tech was out here this week and said hughesnet has the ability to up the speed -- PLEASE DO IT. This is **bleep** near unuseable. I expected better.  I have a Direct TV satellelite 5 feet from the Hughesnet satellite that gives me a beautiful picture but the Hughesnet feed cannot stream a show without choling -- very disappopinting for what i am paying

3 REPLIES 3
Professor

Re: Cannot even stream ESPN + for loading interruptions

• It's likely a combination of congestion and latency, not a speed issue. Learn about latency here: https://www.howtogeek.com/138771/htg-explains-how-latency-can-make-even-fast-internet-connections-fe...
  • Latency can't be helped; it's a feature of satellite communications stemming from the laws of physics. 
  • Congestion happens during peak times when everyone is trying to stream.  There is only so much bandwidth to be had, and peak times make things harder for everyone on the beam. 
  • To get speed issues addressed on this tech support community, you will need to follow the required protocol outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034
  • Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors.  (source: Hughesnet.com)
  • Cussing does not help your cause.

gchriscole wrote:

Cannot even stream ESPN plus to watch the UFC fights - have to use the hotspot on my verizon cell phone. The tech was out here this week and said hughesnet has the ability to up the speed -- PLEASE DO IT. This is **bleep** near unuseable. I expected better.  I have a Direct TV satellelite 5 feet from the Hughesnet satellite that gives me a beautiful picture but the Hughesnet feed cannot stream a show without choling -- very disappopinting for what i am paying

Distinguished Professor IV

@gchriscole wrote:

have a Direct TV satellelite 5 feet from the Hughesnet satellite that gives me a beautiful picture but the Hughesnet feed cannot stream a show without choling -- very disappopinting for what i am paying

Though both satellite based, these two systems are very different.  Satellite TV does ONE thing and is ONE way.  Satellite internet is designed to provide internet that does MANY things with MANY different devices, and it's TWO way.  

DirecTV has a beautiful picture because it's designed to do a single thing, which is supply TV service.  HughesNet is not satellite TV.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi gchriscole,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns. I see that our community members have already provided some very good insight on the differences between the two services.