cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

Re: Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

dutchdog (and others): this NOT a simple issue, and it has been under examination for some time. It pops up now and then and is probably due to a complexity within Facebook's page coding. I have discovered that, once I have accessed the FB site, I can switch over to my HN9000 and continue to browse the site. I just can't access FB initially with the HN9000.  Don't waste time on conspiracy theories about how HN is trying to force you to upgrade; that's just plain silly. Be patient. 

I don't think it's intentional either. I work in a library and weird tech stuff happens all the time.  Patience is not a virtue of mine--LOL!  If it is a HN9000 problem would they give us a HN9200 without switching plans?  My thing with facebook is just connecting with friends and gaming and we have a high school reunion next week and I need to access the page we created.  I could try and use my cell phone plan but that is kind of sketchy here.  
Highlighted

This is the error message that I get:

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Reload
Hide details
Google Chrome's connection attempt to www.facebook.com was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

Associate Professor

Just spoke to someone and mentioned that there were a bunch of us having the same issue.  The woman went and spoke to someone and came back and told me that they are aware of the issue and they are working on it.  No timeframe of when it would be fixed.  

Charles: bad DNS would result in a 404 error, wouldn't it? Here, the connection is refused. 

Denise... i'll keep my fingers crossed.   it would be awesome to have things working correctly again with Facebook.

BTW.... i STILL am unable to open Facebook!   48hrs and counting...... 
i can read my messages because i have them routing thru my email.
But cannot answer as they are PMs and not emails with an email address.

So far i can't:

1) RSVP to an invitation for lunch Weds.
2) tell a friend who is coming from out of town that Oct 3rd works for us
3) respond to a dog training event

let alone chat and see wasup w/friends.

Bad DNS entries could result in Connection Refused if it's pointing at a server that exists but is not a web server (or is firewalled, etc). 404 means a successful connection but the server reports the file doesn't exist.

Any of you using custom DNS settings? Can you get to Facebook using Google DNS (8.8.8.8) as your DNS server? You'll have to apply this at either your PC or your router. Every router and operating system has a different way of setting the DNS servers, so you'll have to figure out how to do it for your particular configuration...

You may need to reboot your router after applying the DNS settings (to clear its DNS cache, if it has one) and DEFINITELY will have to reboot the modem (to clear its DNS cache, and it definitely has one). 

I'm asking because Facebook is working here to the best of my knowledge (my family is big on it, so I probably would've heard by now if it was down), and I have my router using Google DNS...

I googled how to set up a custom DNS--but I'm afraid to do it.  LOL

It's not too bad. The worst that could happen is that your computer is completely unable to access the Internet and may spontaneously catch on fire.

...okay maybe it's bad.

(I did have something melt in a computer once, but it had nothing to do with DNS! )