cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

Assistant Professor

Re: Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

Put my cell phone in a blender once....not good. (joking)

Denise, all you have to do is put DNS back to automatic if it doesn't work.
Associate Professor

Jackson said it below, but, no, a bad DNS entry doesn't always give a 404 error.  Sometimes the IP addressing for Facebook can change around a good bit, and an old public address that people could visit is now pointing to an internal server of theirs and that will throw connection refused...  It's more common than one thinks.
Assistant Professor

So if someone does a search for Facebook then clicks on one of the results it may work?

Gets back to bad favorite shortcuts?
Associate Professor

Nope, as your computer will resolve the DNS entry after you click it... Easiest way would be to flush the DNS cache, and use an alternative DNS server... 
Assistant Professor

Ok, misunderstood what you were saying. I flush DNS with CCleaner and use Google DNS servers. Very few to no issues when it comes to these kinds of problems. Now if only I got 60% of my plan speed reliably. Smiley Happy

One more week and counting, hopefully new equipment going in at some gateways. What will they do when the new satellite is launched? Play catch up?
Associate Professor

Yes, but "Did It Blend?" *corny gameshow music*

Facebook working this morning.  Knock on Wood!

Facebook working for me too this morning.   Don't you find it odd.... that both of us have been blinked back on at the same time?   I find the coincidence of that to be pretty damning on HughesNet.   I've susp[ected it was them, and all them, from the beginning.   

Hopefully they'll get it fixed once and for all.    If not, i'll be sure to follow up on the DNS links/suggestions.   AND will complain loudly once again.

oh, and...it's been a pleasure doing business with y'all!!
Honorary Alumnus

Dutchdog,
Why wouldn't they get fixed at the same time if the issue was DNS related and you both were connecting to the same DNS data base ?