cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

Re: Cannot open Facebook. This is day two so far. grrrrrrrr

i suppose my REAL complaint is that HughesNet has been offing the blame/responsibility for quite some time (if i'm correctly understanding their responses to previous related complaints).   i do feel rather vindicated for any indication that it was all on them...on their end.    that's all i meant.

admittedly i'm suspicious of them trying to squeeze customers into buying their gen 4 (hundreds of dollars!)

that hn9200 modem is not available anywhere and looks like it was mostly for europe. hughesnet will only do gen 4 now and not anything lower than that.

but they should have been be able to fix this problem especially if a proxy can get around it. it is hughesnet screwing up....whether it's intentional or not is debatable.

Honorary Alumnus

True Blue Fact: Hughesnet is not a "mainstream" ISP. It is a high speed connection of last resort for those liing in areas that ground based ISP's have chosen not to serve.
It has more "moving parts", it is more complex than a ground based connection .......
When issues like this occur:

Verify that the website is "up"

Look at the modems SCC to check your systems status

Try a different browser

Toggle Web Acceleration/Turbopage (HT1000-1100/HN9000)

Flush your modems, routers and computers stored DNS values by rebooting the first two and doing an flush DNS command on the computer.
The fact that a Hughes system is usualy in a remote location a user has to be involved to some degree in the troubleshooting process.

but!  it's not a free service.   we pay (and probably pay more than cable users) for this luxury.   and they are trying to move everyone over to their new modem, gen4, but the price is not reasonable.
Honorary Alumnus

The spaceway3 sat is getting old and has limited capacity compared to echostar17.
A sat costs about 500 million dollars and has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years before it needs to be replaced. Add to that launch costs and ground facilites and its easy to see why the economics are different from ground based ISP's.

Why are you an apologist for hughesnet.... ?.....I wonder if there are ways to get paid to go on the hughesnet forum and support those jerks. Probably.

This is clearly their, HughesNet, issue; the very fact that i can get on today proves that. I did do some things (including all that are mention) but last night i still could not get back on.

they cannot keep up;

as soon as someone gets here with internet (that is not centurylink) we are history. That it is more complex than a ground based ISP is all the more reason for them to be better and not worse when it comes to customer service.

we pay the price we are charged for service they have contracted to provide for that price.   we expect the service we pay for.   

I just wrote to AT&T and told them I hope they can investigate whether their new deal with DirectTV gives them access to a whole bunch of new customers who would love to dump hughesnet.  will let you guys know what they say

I don't think they block it on purpose, it's just a technical glitch that happens.  Many times I say I'm moving to town so I can get Time Warner, but my friends in town complain just as much about Time Warner--LOL. It's just the nature of technology--sometimes it just doesn't work, and maybe we depend on it too much.

I've often thought about trying to switch over to my Verizon wireless, but the signal can be wonky most days.  There are rumors of us maybe getting DSL in the next year but I'm not holding my breath.

Hughesnet has a documented history of not reacting quickly enough to changes. Major websites like yahoo and FB make changes they believe they need to make (usu for security) and it takes hughesnet an excessively long time to listen to their customers' complaints and to react. Latency times for satellite are 50-60 times what they are for normal providers. Fine, we knew that going in -- but when latency gets in the way of access to something like FB, then hughes needs to do something else to react. They obvioously finally did get their timing squared away during this most recent bout.   next month...who knows?!

The company makes 85 million dollars a year. They could afford to provide some customer service -- the complaints are all over the forum; some from knowledgable people. And that takes into account whatever they do pay their "shills".