cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Sophomore

Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Since last night I am unable to to receive mail through the Outlook (Office 365) desktop app or connect to outlook.live.com via browser on any of the three PCs in my home.

I just checked my laptop using a cellular connection and it works fine.  And yes, I have already changed the DNS settings on my Gen 5 modem/router to point to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Rebooting router and PCs has no effect.

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

I had the same issue. I went to Tools/AccountSettings/Highlighted my e-mail address/clicked repair in Outlook. I'm not sure what was changed but it automatically fixed my issue. Good Luck 

Sophomore

Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, I tried that as well as the Office 365 repair tool early on, all to no avail. 

The fact this problem is consistent across all of the PCs on our network points to a Hughesnet (dis)service issue.

Sophomore

UPDATE Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

I can now connect to outlook.com.  Additionally, my Office 365 desktop app is now connecting OK to my outlook.com account, BUT it is still unable to connect to my work MS exchange account.

Maybe the engineers are aware of a problem and working on a solution?  Who knows...

Re: UPDATE Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Hello steveandkris,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm glad you were able to connect your Outlook. There aren't any reports of Outlook issues currently. When it comes to your MS exchange account, I recommend to remove and re-add your email account to Outlook. Let me know if this helps.

-Damian

Sophomore

Re: UPDATE Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Damian,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, the problem persists. 

For the past week, my connection to outlook and MS onedrive both become intermittent during what I assume are the high-use periods for the echostar satellite each morning from 6:30-8:00AM MST and after 5:00PM MST each evening.  During these times, outlook keeps reporting that it is either "trying to connect" or is completely "disconnected," and only manages to update the folders occasionally.  Trying to upload files to OneDrive generally results in a "upload pending" error message and opening files takes forever and sometimes fails.

The result is that I am dead in the water every morning and evening.

The router doesn't show any error codes and the diagnostics are all green.  Download speeds are OK at 40Mb/s, but upload speeds are very low at only 0.18 Mb/s and ping is a ridiculous 690+ms.  Normally (during mid-day), upload speed is in the 5-6Mb/s range and pings are around 500ms.  Frankly, it seems like a handshaking issue

Very frustrating!

@steveandkris,

I understand your frustration. You are indeed correct regarding the peak hours, as this can cause the issues you are detailing. Our engineers are working hard to improve our beams to alleviate the peak hours issue. In the meantime, I have applied $30 off of your bill for 6 months, due to the inconvenience. This discount will appear on your next bill. If any other issues arise, don't hesitate to let us know.

-Damian

Distinguished Professor III

@steveandkris 

An upload speed of 0.18Mbps is terrible, even during peak hours.  A latency of 690ms is actually normal.  Latency is normally somewhere between 600ms and 700ms, and I would actually question the validity of a latency result of 500ms, as it's practically impossible for it to be that low with satellite internet.   The distance alone accounts for at least 500ms.  With that said, though, 500ms, 600ms, or 700ms... it really shouldn't matter, as it's really not that much of a difference when it's that high, anyway.  

With regard to your problem, Microsoft's servers seem to often be overly sensitive to something with satellite internet.  Most likely it's the high latency, but I don't know for sure.  It could also be the congestion it doesn't like.   A couple of years ago I had a 600+ Windows update take over 24 hours, while with the speed I was getting at the time the download should have taken no more than five minutes. 

This isn't an excuse, but only a possible reason as to why it's giving you such a problem.  Still, though, again, your upload speed is awful, especially if you're seeing that speed at the time you're getting the 40Mbps download speed.  It simply shouldn't be that low, and it's more than likely that this is the biggest problem.  Couple that with whatever it is that MS doesn't like about HughesNet, and it's less than surprising.  Smiley Sad    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Thanks to everyone for weighing in!

Gabe is correct that less than 1Mb/s upload speed is unusual - mine are normally in the 5Mb/s range.  I use the Speedtest.net desktop app (I know, it's not the official tool) and it reports the slowest speeds encountered during the test.  That said, both upload and download speeds will vary quite a bit between and even during a test; and the same thing goes for ping-times.  Case in point is the test below where the upload speed was higher than the normal 40 Mb/s download speed!

speedtest.JPG

Unfortunately, my microsoft exchange accounts still won't connect during busy times which now seems to include most of the day on both Saturday and Sunday.  I suspect this has something to do with the high-latency of the satellite connection and the encryption policy enforced between the local Outlook app and the MS exchange servers.  Regardless of the cause, this puts me in a real bind as I need to stay connected to my work email at all times.  Fortunately, I can recieve a cell signal in my home (thanks to a Weboost system) so my cellphone can stay connected to exchange as long as I disable WiFi on the phone.

I guess the bottom line is that I am paying $2K/year for a home internet connection that doesn't work with one of the most popular mail applications in the world.  It's the 21st century and it seems like there should be a solution.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Latency they can't do much of anything, the satellite is where it is, no matter the century we're in. Congestion and beam loading is also something they can't do much about other than maybe tweaking your particular site when it comes to the modem and gateway. Only other possibility is switching to the other satellite.

Things only a mod can reply to as to whether any of it can be done.

PS: Tests from that site are totally unreliable and way off. It does not read correctly with satellite, no way you are ever really getting 5 Mbps upload speed.