cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Sophomore

Re: UPDATE Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

Thanks for weighing in.

I am assuming congestion is at the root of the problem given that the connection issues occur during what I assume are busier times of the day(s) (mornings/evenings/weekends).  Also, I have been on the same satellite since Gen5 was first rolled out over a year ago and have been using MS Outlook/exchange the entire time without any consistent issues until a few weeks ago.

Seems like I have heard this story before:  develop a better service and then oversubscribe it until it starts to break.  Unfortunately, they continue to charge top-dollar even after the service becomes marginal.

Sophomore

Re: UPDATE Re: Cannot receive mail via Outlook (Office 365) or connect to outlook.live.com

OK, this is now bordering on ridiculous. 

My MS exchange connectivity during peak hours has now gone from intermittent to none at all.  I am also unable to save to MS OneDrive during these times.  This cannot be just me!

Notice in the below screenshot that Outlook had been trying to contact the exchange server for 4 hours!  You can also see that the OneDrive icon is trying (unsuccesfully) to sync.  During this time, the same thing was occuring on my laptop over my Hughesnet connection; but I had no problems connecting using a cellphone hotspot.

What is going on with the Gen5 service?

Ridiculous2.JPG

Senior Instructor

Not gonna lie, I've been noticing periodic problems routing to Microsoft for anything for quite a while and wouldn't rule out a problem with the upstream provider (especially if it's Level 3).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

Not sure what you mean by "level 3?"

I would buy that if it weren't for the fact that I can connect just fine at the same time using a different ISP (AT&T cellular).

SJ

Assistant Professor

@steveandkris wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "level 3?"

I would buy that if it weren't for the fact that I can connect just fine at the same time using a differentISPP (AT&T cellular).

SJ

He is referring to the level 3 Internet backbone server providers which is mostly CenturyLink now. There used to be an actual provider called Level 3 but CenturyLink bought them out a couple years ago. The AT&T path is probably working because it takes a different route.

Sophomore

Three weeks later and the problem not only continues but has actually gotten worse.  Absolutely no MS exchange connectivity during evenings and most of the day on weekends as the below screenshot shows.

Ridiculous3.JPG

Ridiculously poor service at a premium price..

New Poster

steveandkris, I have having precisely the same issue. Same times and experiences. I have no issues with ping rate times even to the Office 365 site, no other sites have issues, and my bandwidth is unchanged. Given that it appears to happen pretty much at 5pm on the dot tells me that this is an issue with the Microsoft side not responding fast enough to the slower satellite connection and thus timing out. but, because it happens so consistently at 5pm, I don't believe it is overload, I believe it is a setting-like issue on their end. The bottom line though is that this is HughesNet's problem and if they cannot get it resolved, I will have no choice but to test out a repeater-based satellite in my area. My wife and I can no longer work from home with this issue.

Brett

Professor

Doesn't a repeater just amplify extend the range of the signal? Will not do much if anything for congestion or latency.  

New Poster

The repeater in question is a series of towers on the mountains around us that ultimately land on an internet backbone with latency equivalent to a wired connection. I am not referring to a repeater in the house.

Distinguished Professor III

@BrettL 

Do you know if any local businesses (yeah, local, I know), or even residential customers who work from home, have a business plan with HughesNet.  I ask this in case contacting them might give you an idea if they're having the same issues with Office 365.  This is only as a possible alternative to something that may cost you a lot of money, though I'm not familiar with repeater based satellite internet, nor how costly it would be to enable you to utilize it.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit