Cannot send hughesnet email using outlook 2016

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
threedog
New Poster

Cannot send hughesnet email using outlook 2016

This was a sudden change, happened 9/8/17. Maybe a coincidence but it was at the exact same time as my new data cycle began.

No one has changed their settings. Two of the Macs are running Outlook 2011 and the other is running Outlook 365. All have been working fine for months in the case of Outlook 365 and years in Outlook for Mac 2011.

All three machines can send email when connected with cellular data, not HughesNet. One of the machines uses Gmail as its email client, the other uses live.com. The fact that messages can't be sent via Gmail or live.com (Outlook.com) indicates that the problem is not with the email client.

I spent an hour on the phone with tech support yesterday - it took an hour for the tech to understand what I've written simply above.

Again, to reiterate: None of the previously working-fine settings have been changed on the 3 machines. All smtp servers are via port 587 using SSL.

What can HughesNet do to solve this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
WT4FEC
Sophomore

@threedog wrote:

This was a sudden change, happened 9/8/17. Maybe a coincidence but it was at the exact same time as my new data cycle began.

No one has changed their settings. Two of the Macs are running Outlook 2011 and the other is running Outlook 365. All have been working fine for months in the case of Outlook 365 and years in Outlook for Mac 2011.

All three machines can send email when connected with cellular data, not HughesNet. One of the machines uses Gmail as its email client, the other uses live.com. The fact that messages can't be sent via Gmail or live.com (Outlook.com) indicates that the problem is not with the email client.

I spent an hour on the phone with tech support yesterday - it took an hour for the tech to understand what I've written simply above.

Again, to reiterate: None of the previously working-fine settings have been changed on the 3 machines. All smtp servers are via port 587 using SSL.

What can HughesNet do to solve this problem?

Basically I have the same problem here with Outlook, I can reply to emails but cannot originate emails as they just timeout and fail.

Amanda

Hi threedog

I'd like to get a little more information so I know where to start on troubleshooting this. You are using two e-mail addresses, one is a @gmail.com  and the other is @live.com, correct? And these two e-mail addresses cannot send e-mail from either Outlook client nor from the native websites? 

Meanwhile I will check in with my records and our engineers to see if any changes to the network were made around this time. 

Thank you

Amanda

The problem was limited to Outlook 2011 and Outlook 2016 for Mac. Webmail could be sent on all three machines.

I know both of the Macs running Outlook 2011 and 2016 could not send mail from my email which is @msn.com, not @live.com, and both are set up using POP. The user with an @gmail.com account was using Outlook 2011 and I believe it is set up as an Exchange account. That user isn't here right now so I'm not positive about that but Outlook syncs with Gmail so I assume it's not POP.

For now, I've switched to Outlook 2016 on this Mac, set up as an Exchange account, but I'd really prefer to have it set up as POP. I dislike the constant syncing etc. on this machine which I use 40 hrs/week for work and use the app heavily.

Thank you.

@threedog wrote:

The problem was limited to Outlook 2011 and Outlook 2016 for Mac. Webmail could be sent on all three machines.

I use Outlook 2011 for POP on several different accounts. For reference, POP seems to be working on J2SDO068 from reply and/or original send, one of them being @Hughes.net (in fact maybe a little too good).

I may be wrong, but I think GMail is accessed via IMAP only, at least that's how I have my phone set up for it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.