Hughesnet Community

Cannot send/receive texts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jolney

Cannot send/receive texts

Texts will not send or receive via HN wifi on my iphone 12 or ipad. Internet is good, email is fine.

If I go to town, texts come in and send on wifi no problem, from starbucks to a friend's house.

I have an HT2000W.  Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

So email and the internet in general work fine on your iPhone and iPad, and only texts don't work?  Have you tried rebooting everything?

On the iphone/ipad, internet is on again/off again. Last night it was fine, right now it is unresponsive. It shows that it is connected but nothing happens. Texts don't work when internet is working though.

I reboot my devices and the modem regularly--sometimes it brings internet back to apple devices--when reboot doesn't work on apple, I call HN, they do a reset of some sort, and then it works---for awhile.

One note is that my pc laptop, which I'm typing on now, works perfectly all the time so I figure something may be misconfigured between HN and Apple devices?

GabeU

@jolney 

Unfortunately, HughesNet's system doesn't support text via SMS, nor WiFi calling.  The only way the texts themselves will send properly via HughesNet is if a service is used to relay them.  Otherwise, texts have to be sent over a traditional cell service.  

Though I can't speak from experience, I've read that a service like WhatsApp can get around the SMS requirement for texts.  It might be worth looking into.

Is that new? My text issue started about  9 mos ago--prior to that I sent and received texts over HN wifi without issue. 

Do others report this problem? We all use text so much--I would think this would be a common complaint.

GabeU

@jolney 

No, it's not new.  That you were originally able to text may very well have been due to some type of relay service doing it, or just pure luck.  

Edit:  I should add that Apple's Imessaging can sometimes work, but that heavily depends on the latency of the system.  Apologies if it's Imessaging that you were referring to.  Again, though, it's kind of touch and go with that service.  

jolney,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Remy