Hughesnet Community

Cant connect to Gmail account to send or receive email.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowboyMike
New Poster

Cant connect to Gmail account to send or receive email.

Recently on two different laptops both WIN 7 using Chaos Intellect to send and receive email they quit working. When sending email the error is "An established connection was aborted by software on your host machine" when trying to chek email the error is "The connection to the server is not active."

We havent made changes on our end. We have double checked the settings in the Intellect program as per, https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=1-636341746649345567-3878765326&rd=1 and everything is correct.

Is Hughsnet blocking the connections?

Thanks, cowboyMike

15 REPLIES 15
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There have been several users reporting simular issues connecting to outlook/hotmail/Gmail accounts so it may be time to tag @Liz.

I have connected to both my hotmail and Gmail accounts using Outlook 2007 and Thunderbird without issue using my Gen4 Win7  machine.

knotreel
Freshman

wellcome to the no email party. there are three of us, now four, that suddenly lost connection to our email servers. My email client is thunderbird and now have added outlook to no avail. About 10 days ago (+/-) this started, where in my case and two others, we can no longer acess our gmail, I also lost connection to my bellsouth (ATT) account.  Read rodger's sad tale of all the things that people sugested for him to do, which he did for no result. After my efforts, which resemble rodger's I believe that Hughes net changed something causing all this. I have two computers with server connection issues, both with win7, I have eliminated my router, my email client, my computer by virtue of two computers having the same issue at the same time.Only now the finger is pointed at Hughes net.

THe only other thing is a possible firmware update that might have been automatically installed in the time frame in qiuestion. I am going to post a question to see if the experts on this forum know when firmware ver.3.2.0.29 was issued. THat is what my version is and the modem info says it's up todate? Stay tuned and before you waste any more time read rodger's tale of woe.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It seems that this is only affecting Windows 7 machines.  Not all Windows 7 machines, but the ones that have been affected as of recent, or at least of those who have reported the issue, have been using Windows 7.  It's interesting.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@GabeU wrote:

It seems that this is only affecting Windows 7 machines.  Not all Windows 7 machines, but the ones that have been affected as of recent, or at least of those who have reported the issue, have been using Windows 7.  It's interesting.  

It's affecting more than Win7 users, I think there's a Win10 user, as well as a Mac user...  But im leaning more towards, M$ has released a patch for either their OS, or Outlook, or both and it's causing issues...

GabeU

Ah.  I had seen the post about the Mac, but thought perhaps it was unrelated.  I hadn't seen the one with Windows 10.  

I certainly hope that whatever is causing this is discovered.  

Liz

Hi folks,

Welcome to the community and thank you all for posting your experiences. Your threads have already caught our engineers' eyes and they are currently investigating. Once I have any additional updates to share, I will post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

It's not just Windows 7....this is also happening on Windows 10 using Windows Live Mail and/or OE Classic email clients

This has actually happened to me several times over the last few months, both when I was using the HN9000 modem / Spaceway 3, and just a few minutes ago using the HT2000W modem Gen 5 / Jupiter 2.

BUT..I do believe the problem may lie with Google...and not HughesNet per say...and has something to do with our IP addresses not being recognized??

let me explain (and forgive me if my terminology isn't quite right)

I normally use Windows Live Mail (2012) as my email client, and about a month ago or so, every so often when checking my email via Windows Live Mail, I would get an error message when trying to recieve any emails from my gmail account and I would be prompted to verify my username and password. The problem was, it still would not recognize my log in information.

Not knowing the direct cause, I would simply open up the google/gmail platform in my browser, sign in to my gmail account manually...and just as soon as I did this, I could, once again, start retreiving emails via Windows Mail.

Like I said, it has only done is a handful of times using Windows Live Mail...so it really wasn't a big deal considering the issue would correct itself.

Well, today, I decided to download and add a back up email client (OE classic) just for the **bleep** of it....

sure enough, after configuring both my hughes.net and gmail.com email accounts I clicked on send/receive and, very similar to my experience in windows Live Mail, my hughes.net email came in with no problems, however, none of my gmail.com emails would download and yet again I received another error message... (unfortunatley I did not screen shot the error message)

Once again I brought up google/gmail in my browser and manually signed into my gmail account.

Google immediatley notified me that 'someone' had tried to access my account just 6 minutes before I signed in and had blocked the attempt..

"Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account #########@gmail.com, using an application such as an email client or mobile device
Details:
Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:19 PM (GMT)
Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:"

Google also provided me with an IP address of the suspicious attempt.

It would appear that because Google/Gmail did not recognize the IP address via the OE Classic email client that I was using, and as such treated it as a fraudulent attempt to gain access to my account blocking any emails from being downloaded to the external email client.

And just like with Windows Live Mail, just as soon as I manually signed in with my password to my gmail accounts from my browser, the issue clears itself and all gmail.com emails will resume to download normally via this new OE Classic email client.

why this is happening I don't know...

but for those of you who are experiencing problems...have you all tried to sign into gmail via your browsers and THEN go back and try downloading your gmail from your preferred email client? If your all experiencing the same problem I am, the issue should clear itself upon doing this....

GabeU

@bare65

Interesting.  I use both Windows Live Mail and GMail, sometimes forwarding mail between them, and I forward my Hughes.net mail to the former.  I've not experienced any issues as of yet.  I also have a second Hughes.net mail connected to Thunderbird that I use for other communications, and no problems with that, either.  

With this said, though, I don't use Outlook.  

Hopefully, whoever it is that needs figure this out does so, so all of you can use your email with ease.  

Liz

Good morning cowboyMike,

Our engineers have reached out to Google and are working with their engineers to address this for everyone affected. Once I get any other updates to share, I will post back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hello,

Are you now able to access your e-mail like before? Or does the issue persist? Please let me know so I can let our engineers know.

Same problem happening again! Cannot connect to Gmail, tried all specs. Last time this happened Google and Hughes had to get together and work it out! Tech was no help.
RG
Sophomore

Found a answer online blog. Go to your Gmail ,once there go to your account in upper right corner. Find the Security "Apps with account access" scroll down and turn on"Allow less secure apps", now i get email to my Outlook 2016 from Gmail. Remember to turn off the imap and use pop only as i turned on both and did not work. Hope this helps people as Gmail has to over engineer their Gmail so it will crash on you.
Liz

Hi everyone, 

Seems like our engineers tried something to resolve your concerns. Please let me know if you're able to access e-mail now so I can give our engineers your feedback.

I just downloaded mail on my iPad. Thanks very much for your prompt and effective service!!

Thank you for your confirmation, jrothaway! I let the engineers know. I hope to hear from the others too.