cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caution In Connecting Your DIRECTV Receiver To Your HughesNet System

Advanced Tutor

Caution In Connecting Your DIRECTV Receiver To Your HughesNet System

Interesting post over in the "Brand Ex" Forum:
Simply by connecting your DTV receiver/DVR to any available internet connection will use a lot of available bandwidth. On average, 3-5 GB a month even if you don't watch anything On-Demand. It uses the internet connection to add a bunch of useless promotions, previews and guide enhancements which all cost you data usage. Best advise for DTV Customers with satellite Internet is NOT to connect the receiver/DVR or any other DTV devices to the Internet.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Caution In Connecting Your DIRECTV Receiver To Your HughesNet System

Thanks Alan - I was told by DirecTv it would not effect my data useagle, but I was suspicious and didn't complete the connection. Looks like I made the right choice!
Assistant Professor

Not surprised but a good warning to post Alan. The amount is a bit surprising I guess but we knew it used data.
Tutor

I am not experiencing this usage with my Genie connected to the Internet. Granted I use it very little for Internet based stuff so it just sits there. I do use it to check the weather or a sports score now and then. It is not using much data at all in my case at least.
Advanced Tutor

Does seem like a lot of data. But, if the promotions and previews are in video and HD, could be. Wonder if the same is true about Dish Network STBs.
Advanced Tutor

Looks like it might be a bit hard to tease out how much data an STB can use just sitting there:

http://forums.directv.com/thread/11249287
New Poster

Im pretty sure Tim Josey has Dish

I'd like to say the same for the Roku box. We've found that the (at least original ones) Roku's would ping for a connectivity update every 10 minutes. It used a small amount of data, but it adds up.

Amanda

We've got Dish and experience absolutely no data usage from the Internet connection. I guess Dish realizes that it should feed video signals on its  video service! Afterall!!!