Hughesnet Community

Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacqueline Tier

Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

There is a discussion over on the Exede board where the claim is that streaming a movie through the Exede connection uses 6X more data than streaming a movie through the Verizon (cell phone) connection.  I'm curious to what people (including the employees here) have to say about this topic.  I would like to assume that if I have my computer connected to Exede (or Hughes) and watch a video it would use similar amounts of data as streaming it if I set up the hot spot on my cell phone and connect the EXACT same computer to the Verizon network and watch the movie from the exact same source with the same settings.  Any input?  
41 REPLIES 41
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Jacqueline, the overhead (housekeeping) data is different but normally does not count in either cell or satellite service and is very small percentage anyway. Data is data no matter what the system is and a 2MB file will be 2MB download no matter what.
I think what they may be seeing is the difference in compression of the video itself. If the person is watching SD or HD on satellite it is going to use more data than a video compressed for a mobile data network. Don't think it will be 6 times different though.
Liz

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for posting this interesting topic. I agree with sgoshe, data will be the same no matter how it's downloaded, and as he mentioned before, overhead data may vary, but we will not count that against you. I'm curious as to whether there is evidence supporting that "6X more data" claim. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Shane Sterling

I don't know about the 6x but doesn't Hughes count upload and download usage whereas cell providers only count download? I could be wrong but I saw that comparison somewhere. I will look into it to validate it or at least try to post a link here for you to read yourself.  Also it seems to me that I use a lot less cellular data than I do through Hughes on some types of downloads, specifically cell phone games and updates seem to meet the criteria that I speak of. Does that hold any reasoning? I know my niece and nephew have never run me over my cellular data plan but they tend to eat at my Hughes plan pretty heavy when I let them do the same activities through it. Both are 10gb excluding bonus time on Hughes. Its very possibly coincidence but I'm not so sure.

Exactly! I too have Verizon & each mo my data rolls over to the next mo because I never user all of my 8G/mo. But with HughesNet even though I have 20G/mo, I run out & I don't steam movies or download files. I don't understand.
Shane Sterling

Also if satellite has to resend data multiples of times because of an error in packet loss or otherwise it constantly recounts that data against your plan, as some people have pointed out about Hughes' speed test page using a lot of data to just bring it up when they are having issues.
Jacqueline Tier

This is the statement made on the other board causing the confusion: 

Using your Exede service for YouTube, for example, will use say 6MB/minute whereas using your Verizon internet will use 1MB/minute. (Just figurative estimates). Same application, same streaming time, but different usage amounts.

If Liz, or anyone else can explain what is meant by this?  Or perhaps it isn't stated the way it is really meant, sometimes words can come out wrong.  
Jacqueline Tier

Thanks. That is exactly how I would expect it to be so I'm very perplexed at why we have this statement about 6X as much so this is why I wondered what people over here thought about it.  That compression is probably what they are talking about but.
Jacqueline Tier

Not sure about upload vrs download but it does seem that cell phone data goes slower sometimes but not sure if it really does or if it just seems that way.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Jacqueline the only way you would see a data difference is if you watch the you tube video on the satellite then compare it to watching the same video on a cell phone then you would see a 6X difference but if you were to use a cell phone over a wifi connection on a satellite  then the data rate would be exactly the same, I just tried it with my cell phone first on AT&T then over my wifi connected to my Gen4 and the data consumption was exactly the same but when I used the computer it did use roughly 6X more data because of the device
TimJ
New Poster

Being I have a Verizon LTE  service Hughesnet and Dishnet a 2GB download can be cut some using SD but anyway you want look at it 2gb is 2gb where it is Verizon , Hughes , Crapexcide DSL or any other download and cell phone downloads are slower go to testmy.net with your cell and see .

I use a Dishnet sling load system and dish anywhere I access my Hughes via my Cell to watch live tv , recorded DVR and certain times a day I get a lot of buffin from my cell service if I using cell data if I am a wifi  or a hot spot then I get smooth streaming .

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I still think it gets back to the video on the mobile network (data not wifi) is much lower definition like 240p or even less. 
A mobile browser uses much less data than a regular PC browser. Has to or else wouldn't be able to use it much with the low data allowance most people have on their phones.
This also accounts for the lower streaming rate of 1MB per minute versus 5-6MB per minute.
Melissa6

I can't give you exact numbers but I have tethered my Pc to my verizon connection and watched the same series show through both my verizon as well as Hughes Both through my PC. Verizon definetly does use LESS data.. I don't believe they count uploads for starters, couldn't say much about overhead but from what I gather If i watch a 45 min SD show through hughes It'll take roughly 325 MB's same show same SD setting and Same device (my PC) will take roughly 225 through verizon.. Now here is another difference Ive noticed between the two, Verizon uses 1024 base. Meaning it 1024MB = 1 GB versus Hughes 1000 base meaning 1000MB= 1GB... Dooesn't sound like much but on a 10GB plan thats an extra 240 MB which would give you AWFULLY close to a whole nother 45 min show. Also important to note I don't really seam to buffer or time out much through either provider 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Melissa, you are a smart cookie. Everything you say is true and accounts for much of the difference. Still nothing like 6 times difference as those folks are putting out.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Tim Tim Tim you need to get rid of that Verizon carrier and get AT&T, my Cell on testmy run and without being on LTE just straight 4G I get download speed of 8Mbps next time Im in town where I can connect to the LTE tower I will post my LTE speed, my wifes Verizon only gets 4Mbps
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I think the 6X has to be comparing a mobile device (cell phone) compared to a computer. lot smaller scree uses lot less data
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pretty pleased with AT&T myself. I might convert to them as my sole ISP if I could get 30-50GB for the same price as Hughes. Right now I have just 1GB shared data, unlimited talk and texting. They have announced rollover of unused data from the previous month though. 🙂
TimJ
New Poster

lol well if all you can get is Verizon you got do what you got do , But you know me lol I push it all to the limits I doing  6.1 mbps 631 up
TimJ
New Poster

verizon has family plan 160 a month 10gb data  all shared
TimJ
New Poster

maybe Hughes get into the Cell phone business and allow us to share our home allotment bundle deal  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

TimJ, I draw the line at some things. Not going to pay $160/month for 10GB of shared data. Like I said, not jumping off the Hughes ship unless cell data gets much cheaper.