cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

I still think it gets back to the video on the mobile network (data not wifi) is much lower definition like 240p or even less. 
A mobile browser uses much less data than a regular PC browser. Has to or else wouldn't be able to use it much with the low data allowance most people have on their phones.
This also accounts for the lower streaming rate of 1MB per minute versus 5-6MB per minute.
Highlighted

I can't give you exact numbers but I have tethered my Pc to my verizon connection and watched the same series show through both my verizon as well as Hughes Both through my PC. Verizon definetly does use LESS data.. I don't believe they count uploads for starters, couldn't say much about overhead but from what I gather If i watch a 45 min SD show through hughes It'll take roughly 325 MB's same show same SD setting and Same device (my PC) will take roughly 225 through verizon.. Now here is another difference Ive noticed between the two, Verizon uses 1024 base. Meaning it 1024MB = 1 GB versus Hughes 1000 base meaning 1000MB= 1GB... Dooesn't sound like much but on a 10GB plan thats an extra 240 MB which would give you AWFULLY close to a whole nother 45 min show. Also important to note I don't really seam to buffer or time out much through either provider Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Melissa, you are a smart cookie. Everything you say is true and accounts for much of the difference. Still nothing like 6 times difference as those folks are putting out.
Highlighted
New Poster

Tim Tim Tim you need to get rid of that Verizon carrier and get AT&T, my Cell on testmy run and without being on LTE just straight 4G I get download speed of 8Mbps next time Im in town where I can connect to the LTE tower I will post my LTE speed, my wifes Verizon only gets 4Mbps
Highlighted
New Poster

I think the 6X has to be comparing a mobile device (cell phone) compared to a computer. lot smaller scree uses lot less data
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Pretty pleased with AT&T myself. I might convert to them as my sole ISP if I could get 30-50GB for the same price as Hughes. Right now I have just 1GB shared data, unlimited talk and texting. They have announced rollover of unused data from the previous month though. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Poster

lol well if all you can get is Verizon you got do what you got do , But you know me lol I push it all to the limits I doing  6.1 mbps 631 up
Highlighted
New Poster

verizon has family plan 160 a month 10gb data  all shared
Highlighted
New Poster

maybe Hughes get into the Cell phone business and allow us to share our home allotment bundle deal  

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

TimJ, I draw the line at some things. Not going to pay $160/month for 10GB of shared data. Like I said, not jumping off the Hughes ship unless cell data gets much cheaper.