cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

Highlighted

Re: Cell phone data vrs Satellite data

Thanks Sgoshe, I try to keep up with the best of you all Smiley Happy lol... And no definetly not 6X but a noticeable difference none the less!!  I couldn't really tell ya the difference using a phone as the device , I honestly can't see tryin to watch lt alone enjoy a movie on my little 3.5 in.    give or take screen. But it would definetly be my theoretical guess that smaller screen would/should equal smaller data size, maybe I'll try it some day for shitz n giggles Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Charles,
 So what you're saying is a computer over wifi is using more data than if it were directly connected? Maybe I misunderstood but if that's what you were saying I'm about to run a 50 foot networking cable in order to save on some data , lol.
Highlighted

You could have also meant that the computer used more no matter whether wifi or directly connected I suppose. That last sentence may have thrown me off a bit.
Highlighted

I was unable to find the comparison data that I mentioned above but if I run across it again I will gladly post a link here for you all to read it at your own disposal.
Highlighted

On the subject of your last post I receive about 6-8 Mbps via cellular hotspot and already have the 10gb shared plan and 3 phones for $170 a month with a few extras with AT&T. It actually seems faster than Hughes most of the time but I am also having some issue with Hughes at this time. I have a technician scheduled for Monday in fact. As far as the cellular plan I plan on going to the 30gb plan soon to help cushion the data usage on Hughes a bit.
Highlighted

They just announce rollover to me this month as well sgoshe. I'm wondering will that be available with the 30gb plan they offer. If so it very well may be a substitute for the higher data usage applications v/s do them on my Hughes account. I do really wish Hughes would add more data allowance to their plans though. They are just too limited for this day and age.
Highlighted

1024mb is a true gig, how is it justified to call anything less a gig?
Highlighted

My Verizon 4G LTE connection gets the same or higher speed than I get on Exede which is anywhere from 15 to 20mbps  I must be in a less busy area. ;-)  I also was able to grab the deal in October and have a sweet price on 30 GB of data through Verizon to cushion our satellite service but if we make the switch to Hughes since we can get their new 50 GB plan here we might be able to cut back a bit again on Verizon.
Highlighted

I have watched a few videos on my cell phone (Galaxy S5) and it worked pretty  nicely to pass the time while my husband was in surgery a couple months ago but normally that's kind of a small screen.  ;-)   Interesting on your observations though, we have been streaming BB games through the Verizon connection because we usually have data to spare there and maybe that does give us more bang for our buck so to speak.  
Highlighted

Then the computer over both connections should use roughly the same amount too. I should install a data monitor on my computer and try both connections and then report back to both forums what I see.  I'm like Shane though if I tether with a cable it should use less?  Or am I confused... lol.