cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central West Virginia, having speed issues for nearly 3 months, no solution so far.

Central West Virginia, having speed issues for nearly 3 months, no solution so far.

S/N B30010585352AA
Consistently slow speeds of under 1.5Mbps or 1500Kbps.  This is my story.

I live in Central WV and ordered Hughesnet because they wanted to work with Frontier DSL customers that were unhappy with the speeds on the local DSL system.  I called to inquire into a suitable plan for people, like me, who wanted to get rid of Frontier and have a real broadband source.  They told me I could have the 5M @ 10 and 10Gb plan for 39 a month for 3 months then 49 a month for the remaining 21 month commitment.  Sounds great!  I said let's do it.  The next day a very nice young man showed up and installed my system in 3 inches of snow with temps in the low 20s.  It worked great right out of the box.  I was actually getting speeds in excess of 20Mb most of the time and never lower than 10Mb.  I originally signed up for a trial of the phone thing too, but that did not work well for us.  The latency was horrible and we were missing calls because of some unknown reason.  I cancelled it but kept the sat system.  3 weeks in, around Thanksgiving the speed bottomed out.  Suddenly instead of 10Mb plus I wasn't even getting 1Mb.  Pages would not load, uploads would take forever and as it goes I called them.  They said they would "for free" upgrade me to the 10Mb 10 and 20Gb plan.  It did not fix the speeds as they thought it would.  Called back a time or two more and jumped through their hoops of problem solving for over 4 hours and still nothing working right.  They finally agreed to send a tech out who could not find a problem and so they escalated me to the next level of advanced tech support.  They upgraded me again to the 10Mb 15 and 50Gb plan... And so it goes that the same tech was sent back out again at no charge because the system was continuing to not function correctly.  Meanwhile several of my customers are reporting the same speed issues to me and to Hughesnet.  They are neighbors and nearby so I am assuming that it is a beam congestion issue.  Anyway, the tech replaced the radio, verified the cabling was good and made sure it was not my computer or network causing the issue.  The speed did increase to about 6Mb for a day or so but then soon it was right back to the same speeds as it has been since Thanksgiving.  At this point I am disillusioned and dismayed at this ordeal...after reading several community posts about the same exact issues I have no choice but to accept they have done the same thing that Frontier Communications did to the local DSL and that is over sell their bandwidth.  I have processed my cancellation today because I do not have the time to continue this ordeal and will be ending my service on the last day of this month.  They were even nice enough to waive the early termination and are sending me a equipment kit to send them the stuff back.

Conclusions.  I sincerely regret that we cannot do business, your customer support, your technicians and your management team has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I appreciate your professionalism and your cordiality.  I am sorry things did not work out.

If you or anyone reading this has any insight into my story, or a solution or can fix it I would consider reactivating and keeping Hughesnet services.

Sincerely,
Will D.
Central WVa.
17 REPLIES 17
Employee

Re: Central West Virginia, having speed issues for nearly 3 months, no solution so far.

William,  Thanks for your post.  Give me a bit of time so I can look into your system and check things out.  I will update you shortly with my findings.

Thanks,
Chad

Re: Central West Virginia, having speed issues for nearly 3 months, no solution so far.

chad ,customers!! like this one , i for one surely hope you can fix his problems
Employee

William,  Please check your connection out now, I'm seeing 12.5MB Down and 1MB Up from the terminal to the Internet.  I am also seeing a bunch of terminal resets almost everyday.  I will continue to monitor but I just wanted to make sure other devices in your house are not rebooting.  Do you have power hits in your house?  Is the terminal connected directly into the wall or through a power strip?  

Thanks,
Chad
Highlighted

I have a UPS setup between the modem and the wall, and no we have had no power issues, though I power off my modem at night along with all my electronics.

I am checking.

Chad,

most recent speed test says 13306down and 658Up...did you do something?  Because that is the best speed readout that I have had since November 28th....with the exception of Jan 02...
Employee

We are always adding capacity and balancing the load. We didn't fully balance yet in your Beam. I have manually moved you for now.

Chad
Assistant Professor

Sorry to crowbar in Chad and William but run this test just for comparison. I find it very accurate for Gen4 Jupiter: http://www.att.com/speedtest/
PS: No email address needed.

the att one says 3.8 down and .8 up.

the hughesnet one says 12083 down and 364 up...but I would point out that the issues I have been having are pretty much constant from 8 until midnight or so everyday and my speed has never been good during this time so whatever you did seems to have released some bandwidth for me...but I would have thought the phone support I received several times and the on sight tech both times would have been able to do whatever you did...why did they not?  and why would my beam not be balanced during the last almost three months?