Hughesnet Community

Charged over $1000 for service that was totally unusable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carolyn

Charged over $1000 for service that was totally unusable

I got this service for my wireless thermostat and mostly ipad browsing usage, with hopes of every now and then downloading a movie from my on demand TV service.  The first couple of days I could browse on my ipad fine, never tried anything more robust, then after the first couple days, I couldn't even load google or facebook.  I thought it was a fluke, and let it go for the first month.  I then called the second month when I still couldn't access any internet (wouldn;t even connect to my thermostat which uses miniscule data), and I was told I was using all of my data on day 1.  Not sure how that is possible since I am in a rural area with no neighbors and I was unable to access anything internet related, but I said ok, I will reset my password on my router anyway.  5 more gigs were added to my account, which worked for 5 minutes, then again, I was unable to connect.  I called again later and was told that all my data was used again, and there was nothing anyone could do to help me.  So I totally unplugged everything from the modem and went and bought a data plan from my cell phone carrier to run my ipad.  So I was trying to pay $89.99 per month hoping something would work out and I could at least run my thermostat with this service, and months later again, nothing.  I called to try to correct the issue again, but was told again, there would be 5 gigs added and we could use that to hold us over until the new billing period.  New billing period, again all data was used on day 1 with nothing plugged into the modem, so I finally called to cancel.  I am done, I have had it with paying almost a hundred dollars for a service I cannot use.  I paid this faithfully for 8 months, and never asked for a dime of what I had already paid back, but I did ask that the termination fee be waived.  I was told that was not possible, so I looked up the corporate address to send a formal letter to waive the $400 termination fee.  Again I was called and told the fee would not be waived.  I now have a BBB complaint open, but not expecting any different results.  This is a really terrible way to do business and a way to get customers to tell all their friends and families NEVER to use this service!  Now I received the box to return the equipment, I was expecting to return the modem, but now I am also told I have to hire a professional installer, again at my expense, to remove part of the satellite???  Are you kidding me????
6 REPLIES 6
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Too bad you didn't try to get help here before filing the BBB complaint, now you are locked to that resolution channel.

BTW I just got a Nest thermostat yesterday and it is working great. Can control it and get status over the internet and with my Android phones and tablets.
Carolyn

I did try all avenues I was aware of, but didn't find out about this one until I got the request to complete a survey (HA!) today.  The thermostats are awesome, I got an ecobee, but it was down to the nest or ecobee.  The ratings were just a touch better for the ecobee when I got it several months ago.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome to the community, definitely wish you had found us sooner. I'm sorry if this has been frustrating. Although I am not sure what we can do at this point. I'd like to take a look at your account and case history further. If you don't mind posting a recent case number or the modems serial(if you still have it), maybe there is something we can do. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
Carolyn

I believe a recent case # is 100907168.  Thank you for looking at this for me and not giving me the standard answer, "there is nothing we can do".
Ricky
Tutor

Hello Carolyn, you won't hear that excuse here. You are talking to corporate mods. now. They can and will work to resolve your issue without the run around.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Carolyn,

Just wanted to let you know I'm still looking through everything. I also requested a sales call review to be done as well. Depending on what is found we may have some options to go with. Stay tuned.

- Chris