Chewing Through Data!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilmar23
Freshman

Chewing Through Data!

Just started Hughesnet in March.  new house and ONLY Service available at the time.

I work from home and needed Internet, so hooked up Hughesnet and I must say that it is the worst Internet service I have had since the dial-up days!

I got the highest Plan available - 50G and chew through it in a matter of 8-10 days and then have to endure the worst speeds ever for the rest of the month.

I occasionally resort to buying some more Data just to get through some things but that gets expensive real fast.

Streaming Netflix or NickJr - Forget it - Buffer city!

Hulu won't even connect for me - always says there's an internet issue.

So frustrating - Can't wait for CenturyLink to put in lines and I willpay any exit fee I have to pay to get off this!

Is there any Plan higher than 50G?

10 REPLIES 10
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

First thing to look at is going through 50 GB of data that quickly. You must have something eating a lot of data.

You mention streaming. So what devices do you have connected that are trying to stream and at what definition?

Your speed slowdown is most likely due to being over 50 GB and in throttled FAP mode. Obviously when not throttled your system is working well to allow going through 50 GB in 8-10 days.

Best advice I have right now is do some research on how much data things use, you probably will be surprised especially when it comes to streaming video.  And if you start streaming something for 10 minutes then stop, that 10 minutes of streaming data counts against your total.

No, 50 GB Anytime data is the highest available.

Any help on how I reasearch what n my house is taking up Data?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wilmar23 wrote:

Sure.  What devices do you have that you use with HughesNet?  You can also check this page to see what is presently connected, and what has been connected and disconnected since you last powered on the modem.  Knowing what you have is going to help to know what could be using the data.  

The biggest data user is streaming.  Gaming consoles can also use a LOT of data.  Make sure that syncing, "Delivery Optimization", and OneDrive (the cloud) are turned off on Windows 10 computers.  If you have a satellite TV receiver connected, they can use a tremendous amount of data.  Especially DirecTV receivers.  Because of this, it is generally recommended against connecting them to HughesNet.  Like OneDrive for Windows, make sure cloud apps are disabled on other devices if they have one, like iCloud for Apple devices.  Lastly, though you eventually need them, it's best to stop automatic updates on your devices and change them to manual, if you can.  With Windows 10, you can set your computers to "metered" connections, which can help to delay updates.  

The following two threads may also help....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Edit:  Also, a good program for monitoring data usage on Windows based computers is Glasswire.  It's free, and it can tell you not only how much data the computer is using, but also just what's using it, and even what sites are using it.  It's free, and it's here...  https://www.glasswire.com/

It only monitors the data used by the computer it's installed on, but it can be very helpful.  If you use more than one Windows based computer, you'd want to install it on all of them.  

Make sure to set the options to "Incoming and Outgoing" and "External".  Where to do that is in the following picture from my own computer...

Screenshot (26).jpg

I don't Game at all. so no data loss there.

I do have Dish Satellite with Receiver and 2 Wifi Joeys.

But I really don't want to connect and disconnet these every day just to get my computer to run smoothly with internet access.

My wife streams a workout every morning on our Roku (when she can get it to go without Buffering every 5 seconds).

I try to stream some shows whenever I have time but not every night and only when I can actually watch without the Buffering driving me crazy.

Below is what is connected and not connected:

Currently Connected Devices
Living roomhug2g82857805/19/2018 02:06:00Not Available
amazon-9c4933ccahug2g82857805/21/2018 22:39:03Not Available
Roku Express - 942hug2g82857805/14/2018 15:31:13Not Available
HP30DA67hug2g82857805/14/2018 15:31:13Not Available
DESKTOP-KC93ATNhug2g82857805/24/2018 17:04:10Good
Hopper3-WiFihug2g82857805/22/2018 07:32:25Not Available

Currently Disconnected Devices
admin1-PC05/17/2018 03:53:15
android-caa576f8cf98119205/24/2018 11:45:21
kindle-b8c9c6d5f05/24/2018 11:45:21
84:20:96:41:9a:1e05/24/2018 05:25:25
iPhone-205/24/2018 00:52:43
a0:3b:e3:ed:d1:2405/24/2018 03:52:11

Might not matter because of the nature of the beast, but probably not a good idea to broadcast any of your device's MAC addresses on an open, google-searchable, forum such as this.

People have been known to spoof them to gain access to other people's networks.

Again, might not matter if you're in a rural area, but you never know.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@wilmar23 wrote:

My wife streams a workout every morning on our Roku (when she can get it to go without Buffering every 5 seconds). 

Do you know in what definition?  How long is each "session"?  This, alone, probably uses quite a bit of data.  

Regarding the Dish Network equipment, I'm not sure whether that's a problem or not.  Perhaps someone with Dish, and who has it connected to HughesNet, can give their experience with that.  DirecTV receivers can definitely be a problem, data wise.  I don't know about Dish.  

Yeah, well I'm not about to tell her to stop using it to work out with! Ha!

This is just all just too much effort to have Internet in this day and age!

It should not have to be this hard!

I am leaving the absolute first chance I get!

No matter what the cost.

GabeU

@wilmar23

Good luck to you.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@wilmar23 wrote:

To me the easiest way is disconnect all devices from the internet then reconnect one at a time while monitoring usage for some time like a day at least to see which one spikes the use. I know this can be difficult for some who need different devices for different things but is a good way to identify the culprit(s).

There is also software like Glasswire that can monitor use on computers but has to be installed on each one. Many devices also have data monitoring built in or apps to monitor useage. Windows has its own monitoring and while not very accurate in overall usage reporting it can be used to see if data use is high over a day's time.

If you have a Sat TV box be sure to disconnect the internet cable or from WiFi.

Some of the others here may have more suggestions.

GabeU

@wilmar23

Regarding the buffering, have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver?  

With this said, if you're out of data and in FAP, turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver will make no difference.